2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

FP1 thoughts?

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 20:38
LionsHeart wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 20:11

So interesting 😁

I still tend to think the Monaco spec will be optimal, but maybe the team wants to test the Singapore spec in thin air and if it performs well, they'll keep it. In that case I would consider the Singapore spec to be high downforce, not medium-high as I believe at the moment.
They have brought the Monaco spec? Interesting. Obviously this is a tricky track to set up for, but whilst the Monaco spec will obviously produce a lot more DF, they don't have a version that has the efficient winglets like Mercedes have. So the concept of the wing is a little "outdated" (I use that term loosely) as it won't be as efficient for the downforce produced, but maybe that is what is required here.

From what I can see, teams are largely using the same wings they used at Austin, not sure if this implies anything for our final choice.
Yeah, that's about right. I thought for myself that the Monaco spec would be optimal. I've only seen Singapore spec on the track. Might have a little trouble in the slow corners. But I don't know what the balance is at the entrance to the corners, and maybe that's why the team doesn't use the Monaco spec. But only one practice has been done so far.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

organic wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 21:30
FP1 thoughts?
Hmm. It's hard to predict anything. After the second training session it will be easier to make first conclusions. In the meantime, I can only say that the speed of the car is not very competitive. :D

search

After setting his time, Norris did another 19 laps, without taking fuel.

geogate
geogate

search wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 22:02
yes i was watching to see if he pitted after his first push lap on softs, and it didnt appear to me that he did. If you know that for sure then its quite encouraging - plus i imagine that poor engine is turned down quite a bit given its mileage

the EDGE
the EDGE

geogate wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 22:19
search wrote:
yes i was watching to see if he pitted after his first push lap on softs, and it didnt appear to me that he did. If you know that for sure then its quite encouraging - plus i imagine that poor engine is turned down quite a bit given its mileage
Concentrating on race pace would be a smart move, with the cars achieving low DF, Deg will play a big part Sunday

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 21:47
mwillems wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 20:38
LionsHeart wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 20:11

So interesting 😁

I still tend to think the Monaco spec will be optimal, but maybe the team wants to test the Singapore spec in thin air and if it performs well, they'll keep it. In that case I would consider the Singapore spec to be high downforce, not medium-high as I believe at the moment.
They have brought the Monaco spec? Interesting. Obviously this is a tricky track to set up for, but whilst the Monaco spec will obviously produce a lot more DF, they don't have a version that has the efficient winglets like Mercedes have. So the concept of the wing is a little "outdated" (I use that term loosely) as it won't be as efficient for the downforce produced, but maybe that is what is required here.

From what I can see, teams are largely using the same wings they used at Austin, not sure if this implies anything for our final choice.
Yeah, that's about right. I thought for myself that the Monaco spec would be optimal. I've only seen Singapore spec on the track. Might have a little trouble in the slow corners. But I don't know what the balance is at the entrance to the corners, and maybe that's why the team doesn't use the Monaco spec. But only one practice has been done so far.
I didn't get to watch it unfortunately. I would imagine they've done some long heavy fuel runs and were able to assess the tires properly, as well as looking at the data, and will make the call to try the bigger wing in FP2.
Last edited by mwillems on 27 Oct 2023, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

search

the EDGE wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 22:21
geogate wrote:
search wrote:
Concentrating on race pace would be a smart move, with the cars achieving low DF, Deg will play a big part Sunday
yeah, but what I meant to say is, that there were at least like 1.5s worth of fuel in the car when he did his "hot lap".

Albon didn't stop either though (but did "only" 11 more laps).

the EDGE
the EDGE

search wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 22:26
the EDGE wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 22:21
geogate wrote:

yeah, but what I meant to say is, that there were at least like 1.5s worth of fuel in the car when he did his "hot lap".

Albon didn't stop either though (but did "only" 11 more laps).
Yer I get that, and it bodes well, thing is, FP1 on a dusty, rarely used track, with odd characteristics is not really a yard stick for the weekend. I think there’s a lot to come from everybody next session

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Without the sprint this weekend seems slow. Another day before action starts.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Although the fuel loads are hard to tell without deeper diving, the long runs looked very promising.

mwillems

If we didn't need a reminder that this is a practise session, there was just a graphic up showing "track dominance", between Norris and Verstappen. It suggested we were faster through most the the corners, including several of the slow corners, which I expect not to be the case when we are running at full pace and the setups are dialled in.

-Bandit

organic

mwillems wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 00:36
If we didn't need a reminder that this is a practise session, there was just a graphic up showing "track dominance", between Norris and Verstappen. It suggested we were faster through most the the corners, including several of the slow corners, which I expect not to be the case when we are running at full pace and the setups are dialled in.
It was the same in Fp1 - I suspect it's not a false reality. RB are running quite softly like in COTA, I think to help themselves deal with the kerbs, and consequently are gaining on traction

mwillems

organic wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 00:37
mwillems wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 00:36
It was the same in Fp1 - I suspect it's not a false reality. RB are running quite softly like in COTA, I think to help themselves deal with the kerbs, and consequently are gaining on traction
Interesting, I had a look at the comparison for FP1 and it's a lot less dominant, with the track being mostly blue, but still the Mclaren looking handy in the corners.

Hopefully we keep this pace up, but I have a feeling that RB will stretch their legs and that Mercedes appear to me to be struggling to dial in the car, and Ferrari are getting on it now...

Edit: Watching several of the cars, they all look a bit softer on the setup, they seem less rigid than I recall seeing last week, obviously happy to use the kerbs here and with no bumps to worry about.

-Bandit

willmesquita

Currently speed trap p3 with 350 km/h. Very good.
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br