2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This race is proof that the car has changed - maybe it is not the best in slow speed corners but it is not bad in them, and where it is good, it is really good. It's crazy to think that Lando could do a 35 lap stint on Mediums starting from P14 and to fight back to P5. This is pace that championship winning cars usually have. He started the race P17.

I do think that Lando would be on the podium if they didn't send him to pit under the safety car.

CjC
CjC

organic wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:19
Should have been a podium with clean qualifying if we go off the last Norris stint. But the races coming up will be good as well - nothing stands out at Brazil as being particularly bad for the car. Not sure about Vegas or Abu Dhabi
Lando has said that he isn’t looking forward to Brazil🤷🏼‍♂️
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:30
mwillems wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:27
Ben1980 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:25

Who knew that the team with all the data had a better idea than random Internet person...shocked.
Who criticised the team, which posts are you referring to here?
The quoted message. About going on mediums being an awful decision.

It's like when the team went for hards in Silverstone. People were moaning, but they know what they are doing.
They team don't always know what they are doing and this is a forum to express opinions, if we don't do that then there is no forum lol

A lot of people don't get that the bonding of these tyres can change, and it is a rather abstract idea that many people won't get which is that the Medium can cure to become a hybrid beast of speed and durability . Again, I'm guessing it is the curing of the tyre, but confident that is what it is.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

CjC wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:33
organic wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:19
Should have been a podium with clean qualifying if we go off the last Norris stint. But the races coming up will be good as well - nothing stands out at Brazil as being particularly bad for the car. Not sure about Vegas or Abu Dhabi
Lando has said that he isn’t looking forward to Brazil🤷🏼‍♂️
Lando said we'd be poor here! lol Soon his nickname will be pinnochio.

This car is very good all round.
Last edited by mwillems on 30 Oct 2023, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:35
Ben1980 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:27

Who criticised the team, which posts are you referring to here?

It's like when the team went for hards in Silverstone. People were moaning, but they know what they are doing.
They team don't always know what they are doing and this is a forum to express opinions, if we don't do that then there is no forum lol

A lot of people don't get that the bonding of these tyres can change, and it is a rather abstract idea that many people won't get which is that the Medium can cure to become a hybrid beast of speed and durability . Again, I'm guessing it is the curing of the tyre, but confident that is what it is.
Nothing wrong with expressing an opinion, but calling a decision awful, with no real reason to call it awful, is worth being called out a bit.

It wasn't an awful decision, half the teams made the same call. Must have had an idea of what would happen.

It's like criticising not changing the engine for this race, no one has an idea in reality, but all want to shout it down as terrible.

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:39
mwillems wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

Nothing wrong with expressing an opinion, but calling a decision awful, with no real reason to call it awful, is worth being called out a bit.

It wasn't an awful decision, half the teams made the same call. Must have had an idea of what would happen.

It's like criticising not changing the engine for this race, no one has an idea in reality, but all want to shout it down as terrible.
It's just an in race heat of the moment thing, pretty normal to be invested and to share that in here, I don't see any issues with it.

-Bandit

Mansell89
Mansell89

Surely a Norris race win will come sooner rather than later - just a shame there’s such a dominant RB in the way.

Who knows- some mixed conditions at Interlagos might suit.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Ben1980 wrote:

Alternative to restart on medium is a restart on old used hard tyre. Only to have to pit 10 laps later to a medium. Or maybe restart on a used soft.

All are bad choices.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I was purposely silent yesterday, watching people's reactions. What can I say: Lando answered all the critics today. Yesterday he made a mess of things, he admitted his mistakes himself. Today he corrected himself and compensated for them. I'm still a bit upset about the bad restart, but after that he showed great piloting with high pace and saving tires to the finish. That's a great job. Bravo, Lando! And Oscar is still learning and learning how to save tires. Experience is experience, there's nothing to add. I second the comments that if Lando had started higher, he would have taken another podium today.

I'm happy with the fact that the team kept two sets of mediums for the race. It was the right choice. The team made conclusions after Austin, where the race showed that hard tires in slow corners are inferior to medium tires. There are a lot of slow corners here too. It was just a matter of technique to keep the tires to the finish line, which Lando did well.

The team minimized their losses and moved even further away from Aston Martin. Lando deserved driver of the day. Overtaking not in the most comfortable of places. A constant battle with his rivals. Hopefully Lando has exhausted his error limit for the season and will ride more consistently from here on out. I think McLaren will have the pace in Brazil, we'll see.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:32
This race is proof that the car has changed - maybe it is not the best in slow speed corners but it is not bad in them, and where it is good, it is really good. It's crazy to think that Lando could do a 35 lap stint on Mediums starting from P14 and to fight back to P5. This is pace that championship winning cars usually have. He started the race P17.

I do think that Lando would be on the podium if they didn't send him to pit under the safety car.
For sure. I think us fans are very slow to catch on to what is different on this car. And I think the team, by downplaying things, mislead the fans a little also. But not in a malicious way obviously, they are just being cautious.

We are not bad in slow corners, in recent times only at Austin were we bad in the slow corners, and this was probably down to a lack of setup time and a cautious approach to ride height. Bumps themselves aren't even bad for the car, it is just when they bother the entry and exit of corners, which is a very different problem to RB who's entire setup does not like bumps, hence Singapore was fine for us. I do think that the main issue left to resolve is the behaviour of the front suspension.
Last edited by mwillems on 30 Oct 2023, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Btw, listening to Lando talk about qualifying to Sky crew - he said that there was a team mistake yesterday that meant he couldn't finish his medium lap. Could it be that the car was slightly underfueled? I am still not sure if that would have been enough to go through to Q2 but it could explain "an issue" that they could resolve very quickly.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:49
FittingMechanics wrote:

For sure. I think us fans are very slow to catch on to what is different on this car. And I think the team, by downplaying things, mislead the fans a little also. But not in a malicious way obviously, they are just being cautious.

We are not bad in slow corners, in recent times only at Austin were we bad in the slow corners, and this was probably down to a lack of setup time and a cautious approach to ride height. Bumps themselves aren't even bad for the car, it is just when they bother the entry and exit of corners, which is a very different problem to RB who's entire setup does not like bumps, hence Singapore was fine for us. I do think that the main issue left to resolve is the behaviour of the front suspension.
Let's hope we get some luck to the end of the year. I think Lando deserves a pole or a victory.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
Btw, listening to Lando talk about qualifying to Sky crew - he said that there was a team mistake yesterday that meant he couldn't finish his medium lap. Could it be that the car was slightly underfueled? I am still not sure if that would have been enough to go through to Q2 but it could explain "an issue" that they could resolve very quickly.
Either that are there was no problem with the car :shock:

It looked like they did something odd, but nobody has said anything so we don't really know what.

-Bandit

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:50
mwillems wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

Let's hope we get some luck to the end of the year. I think Lando deserves a pole or a victory.
It's hard to beat that RB. For those that crave the win and aren't just happy to watch the boys drive, we have to get everything right and max out the weekends performance and then we can take the glory.

-Bandit

thestig84
thestig84

mwillems wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:42
Ben1980 wrote:
mwillems wrote:

It's just an in race heat of the moment thing, pretty normal to be invested and to share that in here, I don't see any issues with it.
Go back and read them. I found the posts from Saturday almost as bad as twitter reacting, child like stuff about Norris. Look what he goes and does today. Then following the race seeing more overreaction but now all on strategy criticism.....then look what happens. Just enjoy it here when its not so ott.