2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Otromundo

Re: Las Vegas 2023

organic wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 22:54
Otromundo wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 22:25
If the race is not suspended and the Aston Martins go well... I'm betting on Fernando. I think it will be his best opportunity to shine and even win in this season. The worse the weather, the better for him.
His best opportunity was Monaco and the team messed up by not taking intermediate tyres. With one different decision they'd have won the race. They've not had race winning pace for over 10 rounds now so I wouldn't be confident in saying they'll compete for a podium here, even with a possible mixed up order
Thanks for your answer.

Yes, you are right about the Monaco bungle. And they have been lost for too long with the car set-up.

But if the weather in Las Vegas is disastrous I'm still confident that my favorites in the rain and tough races will finish in front. The order in which they finish the race hardly matters to me as long as Max, Lewis and Fernando give us a first-class display. An exciting race.

I would be happy if Fernando won because of the time he hasn't done so. I trust that Aston Martin's deficit will not be so evident in extreme conditions.
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

Wouter

Otromundo wrote:
12 Nov 2023, 00:10
organic wrote:
Otromundo wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 22:25
If the race is not suspended and the Aston Martins go well... I'm betting on Fernando. I think it will be his best opportunity to shine and even win in this season. The worse the weather, the better for him.
His best opportunity was Monaco and the team messed up by not taking intermediate tyres. With one different decision they'd have won the race. They've not had race winning pace for over 10 rounds now so I wouldn't be confident in saying they'll compete for a podium here, even with a possible mixed up order
Thanks for your answer.

Yes, you are right about the Monaco bungle. And they have been lost for too long with the car set-up.

But if the weather in Las Vegas is disastrous I'm still confident that my favorites in the rain and tough races will finish in front. The order in which they finish the race hardly matters to me as long as Max, Lewis and Fernando give us a first-class display. An exciting race.

I would be happy if Fernando won because of the time he hasn't done so. I trust that Aston Martin's deficit will not be so evident in extreme conditions.
Thank you for your compliments. I will try and do my best to win. :wink:

I hope for a podium!
The Power of Dreams!

Otromundo

Wouter wrote:
12 Nov 2023, 00:31
Otromundo wrote:
12 Nov 2023, 00:10
organic wrote:

Thanks for your answer.

Thank you for your compliments. I will try and do my best to win. :wink:

I hope for a podium!
Great, I'll be glued to the TV. =D>
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I haven't seen this pointed out anywhere but Las Vegas is at 620 meters altitude. For comparison, Austria is at ~680m altitude. It's a high altitude GP.

Top speeds will be insane, but wing levels may be larger than expected?

Mogster

That’s interesting, I didn’t realise. Another curve ball.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
12 Nov 2023, 16:55
I haven't seen this pointed out anywhere but Las Vegas is at 620 meters altitude. For comparison, Austria is at ~680m altitude. It's a high altitude GP.

Top speeds will be insane, but wing levels may be larger than expected?
I think the lower temps will also push teams towards higher wings as well

denyall

Colder air is denser as well so all in, it'll be a guessing game for the teams.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Is there a reason why it was not selected as a sprint round? :D

denyall wrote:
12 Nov 2023, 18:31
Plus it's in a valley with peaks on most sides. As the nocturnal downslope flow sets up and the cold air drains into the valley it will also raise the pressure.

I just did a quick calculation. The density altitude in Vegas yesterday during the heat of the day was 973m. At midnight it was 522m.

That's a huge swing, but I guess the increase in humidity as the boundary layer shrinks, temps dropping from 21C to 8C and the downslope flow adds up. I won't be bothered if someone wants to check my work and verify I didn't miss something.

Rodak
Rodak

1158 wrote:
12 Nov 2023, 18:55
denyall wrote:
12 Nov 2023, 18:31
Plus it's in a valley with peaks on most sides. As the nocturnal downslope flow sets up and the cold air drains into the valley it will also raise the pressure.

I just did a quick calculation. The density altitude in Vegas yesterday during the heat of the day was 973m. At midnight it was 522m.

That's a huge swing, but I guess the increase in humidity as the boundary layer shrinks, temps dropping from 21C to 8C and the downslope flow adds up. I won't be bothered if someone wants to check my work and verify I didn't miss something.
I just looked up Vegas air pressure during the last 24 hours; minimum was 101.339 kPa @ 3:00 pm (71°F), maximum was 101.812 kPa at 7:00 am (49°F). I see a density altitude change of 430m, which certainly agrees closely with your number.

Out of curiosity I went back and looked at the conditions at the start of the Mexican GP. Density altitude was 3070m!
Austrian GP in July had a density altitude of 873m.

No idea if this means whole lot for the GP, but figured it was interesting. Density altitude is certainly significant to airplanes...

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Merc sim

organic

Drs zones are shorter than I expected

FW17

Is this track a Baku level wing or a Monza?

Baku

Monza

Z-one
Z-one

FW17 wrote:
13 Nov 2023, 08:44
Is this track a Baku level wing or a Monza?

Baku
https://cdn-4.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ail-1.webp

Monza
https://cdn-7.motorsport.com/images/amp ... detail.jpg
Baku or Spa spec is better, the altitude of this circuit is over 600 meter even in cold evening
The mankind’s courage and resolution will be witnessed and remembered by stars.