2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Las Vegas, Nov 16 - 18

f1jcw wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 12:05

You don’t see a issue with Max deliberately maliciously destroying another driver’s qualifying lap.
Says everything. No more to say after that.
If you choose to look at things in a vacuum, then that will be your conclusion.

The race stewards did not take any action.

organic

I think they can't take action against it for impeding because they're both on fast laps, but doesn't make what he does in these instances of blocking correct

That he continuously does this doesn't mean it's good for F1. If anything it proves that the rules must be changed... Much like he did for the rules around overtaking/pushing other drivers off track

f1jcw
f1jcw

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 12:10
f1jcw wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 12:05

You don’t see a issue with Max deliberately maliciously destroying another driver’s qualifying lap.
Says everything. No more to say after that.
If you choose to look at things in a vacuum, then that will be your conclusion.

The race stewards did not take any action.
Race stewards not taking action with Max? Really =D> :wtf:

You think that surprising or evidence of no wrong doing? Stewards have failed to penalise Max for blocking, pushing for years, so looking the other way here isn’t anytime new or evidence of innocence.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 12:13
I think they can't take action against it for impeding because they're both on fast laps, but doesn't make what he does in these instances of blocking correct

That he continuously does this doesn't mean it's good for F1. If anything it proves that the rules must be changed... Much like he did for the rules around overtaking/pushing other drivers off track
At the end of the day, you race others how you want to be raced. Ocon said it's okay to overtake during a hot lap, and Verstappen returned the favor. They didn't crash into one another. It's racing, not the ballet. It's well within the rights of the drivers to exert themselves within the confines of the regulations. The engineers do this constantly to their advantage.

What he did today was nothing. Ocon did not complain about Verstappen in the post-qualy interview because Ocon is the one who did the wrong. I don't know why this is a discussion other than Verstappen seems to make some people suffer...

You can't hand hold certain aspects of the competition. What Ocon did was 100% incorrect and Verstappen did not do anything reckless. He simply re-overtook him in a relatively controlled manner. Ocon will likely not do that again to anyone, or maybe he will because of the Gasly pressure, but today he didn't get away with it and there was no reckless driving for the stewards to investigate.

f1jcw
f1jcw

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 12:21
organic wrote:

At the end of the day, you race others how you want to be raced. Ocon said it's okay to overtake during a hot lap, and Verstappen returned the favor. They didn't crash into one another. It's racing, not the ballet. It's well within the rights of the drivers to exert themselves within the confines of the regulations. The engineers do this constantly to their advantage.

What he did today was nothing. Ocon did not complain about Verstappen in the post-qualy interview because Ocon is the one who did the wrong. I don't know why this is a discussion other than Verstappen seems to make some people suffer...

You can't hand hold certain aspects of the competition. What Ocon did was 100% incorrect and Verstappen did not do anything reckless. He simply re-overtook him in a relatively controlled manner. He didn't slam into he back of the Alpine.
1. "At the end of the day, you race others how you want to be raced"
Totally incorrect, Max wants to race how he wants to race, but if someone does the same back to him he starts crying

2. Yes it was reckless and destroyed Ocons qualifying, he decided to punish on track, that’s not his job.

3. The discussion was cause he was filmed maliciously acting like a dick.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

f1jcw wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 12:26
AR3-GP wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 12:21
organic wrote:

You can't hand hold certain aspects of the competition. What Ocon did was 100% incorrect and Verstappen did not do anything reckless. He simply re-overtook him in a relatively controlled manner. He didn't slam into he back of the Alpine.
1. "At the end of the day, you race others how you want to be raced"
Totally incorrect, Max wants to race how he wants to race, but if someone does the same back to him he starts crying

2. Yes it was reckless and destroyed Ocons qualifying, he decided to punish on track, that’s not his job.

3. The discussion was cause he was filmed maliciously acting like a dick.
Perhaps a letter to the stewards is in order.

search

having checked some onboards, there were just too many cars. Tsunoda, Zhou and Ocon were basically all "racing" each other there for the 2nd part of their warm-up lap, with Verstappen just ahead and Gasly somewhere in between. Verstappen then backed off in the penultimate corner, and they all started their lap way too close to each other. No one improved.

mendis
mendis

Most folks here are posting ignorant comments, purely because of dislike towards Max. One should watch what happened through onboards. Max was just doing his thing behind George for almost 3 laps. Nothing different.

Ocon on the other hand, despite his engineer telling him that there are number of cars in front of him and "we might have to wait", as he had let Daniel and Yuki pass him, Ocon pushed like crazy, overtaking both Alphas and to point he could have collided with one of the Alphas, who was ahead of him and right behind Max. He suddenly then decided to jump Max, despite knowing Max was also trying to start a lap!!! That too in the last few meters when drivers start pushing for a hot lap. That's brain dead execution.

CjC
CjC

mendis wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 12:31
Most folks here are posting ignorant comments, purely because of dislike towards Max. One should watch what happened through onboards. Max was just doing his thing behind George for almost 3 laps. Nothing different.

Ocon on the other hand, despite his engineer telling him that there are number of cars in front of him and "we might have to wait", as he had let Daniel and Yuki pass him, Ocon pushed like crazy, overtaking both Alphas and to point he could have collided with his own team mate first, who was ahead of him and right behind Max. Then Gasly backed off and went behind Ocon. He suddenly then decided to jump Max, despite knowing Max was also trying to start a lap!!! That too in the last few meters when drivers start pushing for a hot lap. That's brain dead execution.
I’ll commit the same sin and comment before I’ve watched anything but…..
Reading your comments about Ocon don’t surprise me though, he is a driver who I utterly despise and it’s all because of his on track etiquette. I know they are all ultra competitive and all selfish to some degree but Ocon tops the lot and he carries it with such arrogance. I says it all that Mercedes over looked him for Bottas.
Just a fan's point of view

mendis
mendis

CjC wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 12:40
Reading your comments about Ocon don’t surprise me though, he is a driver who I utterly despise and it’s all because of his on track etiquette. I know they are all ultra competitive and all selfish to some degree but Ocon tops the lot and he carries it with such arrogance. I says it all that Mercedes over looked him for Bottas.
Just an FYI. I had edited my comment.

CjC
CjC

mendis wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 12:44
CjC wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 12:40
Just an FYI. I had edited my comment.
👍🏻 I still stand by my comment about Ocon though.
Just a fan's point of view

JordanMugen

GrizzleBoy wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 11:29
I'm sure the FIA are 100% aware of Maxs blocking attempts on people, but they just don't care. Apparently purposely impeding in quali is okay, because reasons.
Impeding is hot lap versus slow lap.

When Ocon and Verstappen are BOTH on hot laps then they are perfectly entilted to race as all drivers on hot laps are.

The notion that if it was a drying track with times tumbling that cars cannot race while both doing hot laps is absurd.

JordanMugen

Tiny73 wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 11:45
Both should be punished for what they did, Max more so as his move was petty revenge.
The qualifying regulations are the same whether it's a wet, raining, drying or dry track. Cars both on hot laps are entitled to race.

That times are not tumbling by 5s/lap in a purely dry session is irrelevant to the regulations.

JordanMugen

f1jcw wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 11:52
Max did it to deliberately destroy another drivers lap maliciously
Nonsense. If it was a drying track, a driver could pass another driver AND still do a faster time having made a pass (or multiple passes). That this was a dry session makes no difference to the stewards.

If Ocon does not wish to be overtaken on his hot lap he should drive faster to build a bigger gap to the other hot lap cars behind!

Juzh

I wasnt able to follow this weekend as closely, is mercedes running significantly less wing than RB?