2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

FittingMechanics wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 09:42
mwillems wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 09:40
Yeah it's why we come to the forums, to discuss and have opinions, otherwise this place wouldn't exists :D

I think the race pace was undeniable and come what may with the setup, it would have been there in hindsight, though everyone was careful not to make predictions for the race as there were too many unknowns.

No suggestion from me that the setup was wrong, they just couldn't make it work, I think the car just didn't suit a massive fast lap at this track and in part I think my suspicions that this car no longer heats the tyres as quickly as it did is correct, because if it did I think it would be the other way round here. I suspect this is a part of what made this a race car and less of a Q car.
But at the same time - McLaren was VERY quick after safety car restarts. Team stream commented on it that the tyre warmup seems great this time around.

I am not sure you are correct with the tyre warmup. I think the car was a clear Q3 car if they put a second set on the car. It looks like they couldn't make softs last for 3 hot laps.
I only saw the second safety car then and at this restart we were on heated tyres not new like some around us.

We will never know in Q, but as I said Ferrari also didn't pit for fresh and the gap was 1.1s between us and them, nearly .7s to Max. The difference between Race and Q is like night and day and I don't think that was just a setup choice, just close to the best they could do.
Last edited by mwillems on 19 Nov 2023, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

We definitely had pace for top 5 with Oscar, just unlucky with how the strategy panned out and the collision, wouldn't say there were any mistakes by the team. On Lando's side, these things happen, heard he bottomed out on a bump which would explain it. Mainly hoping he gets the all clear from the hospital ASAP and I'm sure we can come back strong in Abu Dhabi

Marc.W

Pace looked good, definitely a potential for more if Qualifying went better, at least Aston didn't close the gap too much this race and we should be mega in Abu Dhabi

elldizzle
elldizzle

Why do we still run our strategy like a midpack team. Clearly we had the pace to be more agressive. Shame about norris. What could have been.

mwillems

elldizzle wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 10:10
Why do we still run our strategy like a midpack team. Clearly we had the pace to be more agressive. Shame about norris. What could have been.

It feels like we could have pitted a little earlier and chased more points doesn't it, but a midpack strategy feels a bit harsh to me. What do you think were the right options for the team? I didn't see all of the race so not the only calls I saw was the Safety car and then the end of the race.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

Just finished watching. Some bad luck throughout! Landos crash seems that nothing could have been done, just sonething that can happen. Piastri lost the benefit of hard tyres by his collision with Hamilton...if not he may (?) Have been leading, as was in front of Perez who went on hards at the first lap.

It was definitely too early for mediums at the second safety car, and hard was the best race tyre it seems.

The pit to mediums was probably well timed, any earlier and you are behind a lot more cars. Coming out very close to Albon and in 11th quickly was as good as it would be.

And don't mention softs, even short stunt they looked horrendous in the race.

All in all, not a bad race, though helped by the first lap madness.

_cerber1

What are the chances that the Lando's engine is completely or partially destroyed and they will have to take a new engine to Abu Dhabi?

mwillems

_cerber1 wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 10:35
What are the chances that the Lando's engine is completely or partially destroyed and they will have to take a new engine to Abu Dhabi?
If he's got damage to this one then he's got two others still and they seem to last like a cast iron steam engine :lol:
Truth be told, I guess no-one has a clue what state his engine pool is in but you never know..
Last edited by mwillems on 19 Nov 2023, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

_cerber1 wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 10:35
Somewhere between 0 and 100%. But, im not sure anyone here has a clue.

search

elldizzle wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 10:10
Why do we still run our strategy like a midpack team.
I'd think racing mainly on hards was actually a good call from the team. A Stroll-like S-H-H would have been better, but that one definitely needed an early SC.

Seerix
Seerix

shame about quali, like I said earlier, I believe there was quite a bit more to gain there,
race was fine and strategy as well, unfortunate about the incidents, but what can you do,
Lando's after quali comments "we are where we expected to be" sound kinda weird seeing the car had race pace for P4

organic

No technical fault that caused the crash of Lando. Could be the car bottomed out or cold tyres or miscalculation

mwillems

Just caught the race start. Not great, Oscar was caught and overtaken from a very poor getaway and Lando didn't get away much better but had poor luck with track positioning and got slowed when coming to turn 1 and then had to take evasive action.

-Bandit

organic

organic wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 11:07

No technical fault that caused the crash of Lando. Could be the car bottomed out or cold tyres or miscalculation
Aggressive porpoising and the rear steps out which he tries to correct
Onboard

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Makes sense kind of. Cold tires have lower pressure so rolling diameter is smaller and the car sits lower. It sounds like the margins were too tight and/or driver was too aggressive for that point in time.