2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marc.W

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I love me some Monster, but I fear for what this will do to the livery, the green doesn't exactly go well with the orange

Darth-Piekus

Ground Effect wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 19:13
Obviously, we didn't out develop them, nobody did, they won 21 of 22 races. I would suggest you tone down expectations of surpassing Red Bull. I don't know why you think it's such an easy thing to do. They practically stood still and weren't caught in 2023. It's about closing the gap enough to provide a challenge, fight for podiums and be in a position to win if the opportunity presents itself. McLaren will basically be pushing to be P2 from the get go.
What do you mean we didn't. The car was 1.5 seconds off the pace and in one year we gained more than 1 second over them and they had to bring some updates as they couldn't stay completely still.

On another note what Zack did with Mercedes might give the team a huge boost. If he managed to get Mclaren in equal terms with Mercedes in engine development then he might have upgraded Mclaren to something more than a customer team. That looks like a works-type deal to me.

Marc.W

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 20:54
Ground Effect wrote:
Obviously, we didn't out develop them, nobody did, they won 21 of 22 races. I would suggest you tone down expectations of surpassing Red Bull. I don't know why you think it's such an easy thing to do. They practically stood still and weren't caught in 2023. It's about closing the gap enough to provide a challenge, fight for podiums and be in a position to win if the opportunity presents itself. McLaren will basically be pushing to be P2 from the get go.
What do you mean we didn't. The car was 1.5 seconds off the pace and in one year we gained more than 1 second over them and they had to bring some updates as they couldn't stay completely still.

On another note what Zack did with Mercedes might give the team a huge boost. If he managed to get Mclaren in equal terms with Mercedes in engine development then he might have upgraded Mclaren to something more than a customer team. That looks like a works-type deal to me.
They were still miles ahead in race trim, so we didn't out develop RB

mwillems

Marc.W wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 21:00
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

To out develop the gap just needs to come down, it did come down. Whether it is artificial or down to circumstances is another question, but the gap came down.

What other metric is there for out developing them? Do you think we have to beat someone to out develop them?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Marc.W

mwillems wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 21:12
Marc.W wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:

To out develop the gap just needs to come down, it did come down. Whether it is artificial or down to circumstances is another question, but the gap came down.

What other metric is there for out developing them? Do you think we have to beat someone to out develop them?
There are plenty of metrics I suppose, we developed deeper in to the season, RB are rumoured to have stopped in July? does that mean McLaren still out developed RB?

To me the definition of "out developed" is a car that is outright faster, Red Bull began the season with a car much more developed than McLaren, so just because McLaren closed the gap somewhat how does that mean they out developed RB? I'm not sure how it can be claimed McLaren out developed Red Bull when the RB19 is still the more developed car at the final race in the season.
Last edited by Marc.W on 28 Nov 2023, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Marc.W wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 21:19
mwillems wrote:
Marc.W wrote:

There are plenty of metrics I suppose, we developed deeper in to the season, RB are rumoured to have stopped in July? does that mean McLaren still out developed RB?

To me the definition of "out developed" is a car that is outright faster, Red Bull began the season with a car much more developed than McLaren, so just because McLaren closed the gap somewhat how does that mean they out developed RB? the RB is still a more developed car at the end of the season than the McLaren so I'm not sure how it can be claimed McLaren out developed Red Bull when the RB19 is still the more developed car at the final race in the season.
This was my thinking as well...
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

trinidefender
trinidefender

haza wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 20:46
Zak has gained “a seat at the table” with Mercedes pu development

https://x.com/mclarenf1_news/status/172 ... CA5OmEDv0w
Anything more of a source for this other than a random twitter fanpage account?

Marc.W

trinidefender wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 21:34
haza wrote:

Probably lifted from this article, but I can't find any other outlets reporting anything similar

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/11/26/mc ... ment-2026/

haza
haza

trinidefender wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 21:34
haza wrote:

Not that I know of so far

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

haza wrote:

I have always said that being a customer had it's disadvantages. It was a contentious topic in the AMR and Mclaren threads. AMR proponents conceded when AMR announced the Honda deal. :lol:

Mclaren are now taking steps to close the gap.

billamend
billamend

This has been widely reported. If i’m not mistaken it’s on the press release.

MTudor
MTudor

My 2 cents now that the championship is over.
If the 'Austria update' were the car from race1 this could have been a very different season,all in all I'm very proud of our team and hopeful for 24.
What needs to be done to the car to be on par with Ferrari&Mercedes,because RB is too far(and I suspect that in many races they turned down the car to not have such a big advantage that FIA should ban something in their car),I think they will concentrate on front/back suspensions to allow them to have a more stable aero platform and better tyre management and a less dragy car.
The full effects of the new facilities and from the new recrutes will be shown only in 25,so we must have patience.
Too bad that Monster energy won't appear on the car,only on the race suits and other accesories,it would have made some stunning colour livery.
Happy december everyone 🍾🍾🍾

mwillems

Marc.W wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Marc.W wrote:

To me the definition of "out developed" is a car that is outright faster, Red Bull began the season with a car much more developed than McLaren, so just because McLaren closed the gap somewhat how does that mean they out developed RB? I'm not sure how it can be claimed McLaren out developed Red Bull when the RB19 is still the more developed car at the final race in the season.
Interesting, personally I think it just means you found more time in your in season development which McLaren did. In fact they out developed everyone and found more time than any team.

The fact that they started much further back than they should contributed to stopping them finishing ahead in the constructors or being the fastest car. Bur that is separate to the in season development where we developed quicker than anyone.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

Marc.W wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Marc.W wrote:

It can be as basic or as simple as anyone wants

From the first race of the season, Mclaren gained on Red Bull, rather than Red Bull getting further away from Mclaren. That's pretty clear, in season development was in Mclarens favor, again clearly obvious, whatever the reasons may be. Now, as an overall car, the Red Bull car outdeveloped everyone, from when it was first worked on to the seasons end.

It's not all black and white.

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
28 Nov 2023, 20:43
Interesting and satisfying that they have jumped ship from Merc and come to Mclaren.
Massive really. Not the sponsorship itself but the significance
Just a fan's point of view