2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LM10
LM10

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

With Bono we would finally have more interesting radio conversation going on! Now it’s limited to “copy” and “understood” - while actually not understanding anything, but that’s a different matter. :lol:

LM10
LM10

Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 15:44
LM10 wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 13:35
Besides the other positives Lewis would bring to the team I really hope a dominant PU 2026 in the pipeline to be his major motivation to go to Ferrari. [-o<
There is little reason to expect any current manufacturer will have loads of issues with 26 PUs, ICE is basically the same architecture and the difference will be the fuel. Oil partners are working on that for a while already and no reason to expect any of them will have too much trouble. The most important aspect will probably be establishing the right harvesting and deployment strategies in the race, when to safely harvest on the straights and when to use full power.

RBPT and Audi, on the other hand, will have their work cut out. I'd bet RBPT will be ok in terms of outright power, but will suffer with reliability in 26. Audi will likely be reverse, or suffer on both fronts.

In other news, Marko is himself again of course

https://www-formulapassion-it.translate ... r_pto=wapp

Regarding what the Hamilton-Leclerc dream team will be, Marko has no doubts: the Englishman will be the favorite to start . The #16 will be "ahead on the flying lap" , but as far as the championship is concerned, Hamilton will be the horse to bet on. According to Marko, the Briton is better than Leclerc in the race and "will also establish himself politically as Ferrari's global superstar"
So Marko actually sees the threat in Leclerc, unsurprisingly
Oil partner’s job will likely be one of the key points/differentiators. As far as I remember (if the reports were true) Shell was ahead of others before the further development of fuel and oil has been frozen two years ago.

RBPT will have so much knowledge transfer from Honda that I don’t think they’ll have any issues. Won’t they even get more development time like Audi as a “new manufacturer”?

As for Marko, interesting words. Not sure that’s his real opinion though. Probably trying to polarize as usual. :)

Chuckjr

Ok, I’ll be that guy.

I’m not seeing this as glorious a move but more a huge, needless risk.

Unless Lewis wins a championship, this will be another Vettel saga. But this time it won’t be as simple as shrugging the shoulders and walking away. No, this deal has baggage. HEAVY baggage.

Lewis will be the face of a major F1 company having never won a championship with them should they not win. That’s a very real possibility folks and very likely. In that sense, it’s like Ferrari is attempting to buy sunshine, luster, and merit off a career they had nothing to do with, didn’t build, and actually were embarrassed by. Isn’t that a kind of whoring of the company and it’s heritage? May as well buy a championship trophy, put it in the front entry hall and call it yours.

I thought Ferrari had more pride than this.

Additionally, the Ferrari fan base won’t be forgiving for finishing first of the losers and certainly not if Lewis comes in and jeopardizes Charles’ chances of actually winning. Ferrari fans are not exactly Lewis fans to begin with, and so anything less than winning handedly over Charles will be seen as utter failure and only increase fan base angst against a team that suffers what seems to be an addiction to erratic, poor choices.

No matter how you slice it, unless Lewis wins big and convincingly with Ferrari, it will be akin to Brett Favre becoming the face of the Dallas Cowboys having never won a Super Bowl for them. And in the same way, there are not many Brett Favre fans in the Cowboy fan base and so won’t be welcoming to a guy that brings further discord to a team. Lewis will want equal face with Ferrari and losing to his team mate or driving a slow car will bring upheaval to this fragile situation juggling two HUGELY fragile personalities: Ferrari and Lewis.

This all makes zero sense unless they can win and honestly, I don’t see Ferrari beating RB, and in fact I think Charles gives them a much better shot at winning than an aging and whining Lewis. Ill go as far as to say Lewis will hold the team back from winning if he is not the one winning. This would be highly destructive to both Lewis and Ferrari long term.

Imo, Lewis will heavily impede Ferrari long term because he will never let his huge personality be denied. He’s not going to plaster his face all over a company he lost for, and so this gets really really complicated should they not become competitive enough to beat RB and further…god forbid should Charles win a championship over him, it will make all my above statements even more true and be extremely embarrassing for Lewis. Ferrari would be sold out to a dude who actually did nothing for them and they can’t just walk away. He stays around for years…🤦‍♂️

Ferrari wants to risk about 1/2 billion on a guy that lucked out getting a ride in an unbeatable car that gravy trained him to some championships? Really? Good grief he had trouble beating King George and Charles is much faster than KG. And in two years Lewis will be in his 40’s folks!!

Has Ferrari lost their mind in desperation? I say yes.

To me this seems a HUGE and needless risk by Ferrari when they already had the right guy in place should they get lucky and become competitive in 2026. This will only complicate their situation dramatically because Lewis won’t help Charles win a championship. Period. It would ruin the whole premise of his move there. That’s not why they hired him and he won’t bow. Everything depends on Lewis not only beating Charles but handedly beating him and taking a championship.

Ferrari certainly didn’t need to put this much money and sell their soul to a guy in the twilight of his career who gravy trained some championships. Come on man. This is a really bad idea from Ferrari.
Watching F1 since 1986.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Deep down most people know that signing Hamilton is at odds with Leclerc but have no choice but to see the silver linings because most people are Ferrari fans, not driver fans. Even Leclerc is in this position. If he isn't disgusted by this signing, then he doesn't want to be a winner (which is something I have said in the past, that he may be too complacent and too much of a pushover for success).

With that said, Hamilton to Ferrari is exciting because we rarely get to see such big moves. Can't see how Leclerc fits though. As you said, Ferrari want Hamilton to get a title. This will only come at Leclerc's expense. Hamilton isn't coming to Ferrari to play a supporting role. It's like the finger wag all over again. Charles you will have to wait your turn (2028).

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 19:58
mstar wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 19:38
Bono be little use as last race is in December new car is good enough done and dusted and leaves him little time to get up to speed. and this also excludes gardening leave so maybe won't be able to start until Jan/feb 2025. Only way he can do this is to resign and do his gardening leave while lewis is racing and another race engineer takes his place? Correct me if I am wrong, but I can't see how bono benefit lewis in his first season until very late. He have to get up to speed In like weeks and he has family too so it's hard for him to integrate quickly.
You can't see how Bono benefits Lewis at Ferrari? :wtf:

Bono is Hamilton's right hand on the track. He is Hamilton's "translator" if that makes sense.
No, no, no, no, no, no, oh, ok

Bono isn't good for anything, he usually gives the wrong information at the wrong time. Constantly yapping about Delta's when he should he saying which turns are slick or if the pit Lane is closed.

Hamilton needs to find someone that works directly for him that also speaks Italian.

JPower
JPower

Chuckjr wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 23:33

No matter how you slice it, unless Lewis wins big and convincingly with Ferrari, it will be akin to Brett Favre becoming the face of the Dallas Cowboys having never won a Super Bowl for them. And in the same way, there are not many Brett Favre fans in the Cowboy fan base and so won’t be welcoming to a guy that brings further discord to a team. Lewis will want equal face with Ferrari and losing to his team mate or driving a slow car will bring upheaval to this fragile situation juggling two HUGELY fragile personalities: Ferrari and Lewis.
This is LeBron to the Lakers. Both parties know why and what they are there to do. I don't see the issue. By the time the contract is over, Lewis will be ready to go home.

If Lewis wins, he's the undisputed GOAT to me. If he doesn't, well he'd join a list of all-time great drivers not to win for Ferrari. No shame in that. His career legacy was locked in by winning his 7th championship. Everything since then is just extra, just like Schumacher post-2004.
Ferrari certainly didn’t need to put this much money and sell their soul to a guy in the twilight of his career who gravy trained some championships. Come on man. This is a really bad idea from Ferrari.
Gravy trained championships? Come on, let's be better than that. He was still the 2nd best driver on the grid last year, at least in my opinion.

Chuckjr

I see it as needless risk by Ferrari. They didn’t need to spend the money. They didn’t need a driver. They didn’t and don’t need what comes with Lewis. Simply in my opinion, it’s a bad call and yes I could be 100% wrong. Just what I think at the moment.
Watching F1 since 1986.

jambuka
jambuka

Lewis doesn't lose anything. He has already been losing for the past 2 years. If he doesn't win at Ferrari he doesn't care. He joins Vettel, Alonso... Ferrari on the other hand is stupid to sign Lewis instead of develop Charles and make him a champion. There is no doubt Charles is going to get overshadowed by Lewis(not necessarily in driving, but just the media circus around Lewis). I wish Charles exits at his 2 year mark and joins a team who actually wants to win and not just increase the brand.

MTL79
MTL79

dialtone wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 05:02
MTL79 wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 04:57
Fomenting the seeds of doubt in Leclerc can lead him to exiting Ferrari early. Maybe Red Bull wants him in 2 years time...
If Leclerc can't beat a 40 year old driver in a team where he has been adored for 6 years then maybe he's not the guy.

Top drivers that are thinking about racing against Max in a RedBull should be more concerned about said RedBull rather than team mates.
I'm implying it's pyschological warfare.

dialtone
dialtone

jambuka wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 00:28
Lewis doesn't lose anything. He has already been losing for the past 2 years. If he doesn't win at Ferrari he doesn't care. He joins Vettel, Alonso... Ferrari on the other hand is stupid to sign Lewis instead of develop Charles and make him a champion. There is no doubt Charles is going to get overshadowed by Lewis(not necessarily in driving, but just the media circus around Lewis). I wish Charles exits at his 2 year mark and joins a team who actually wants to win and not just increase the brand.
What is this instead of thing? Charles when asked said it would be great to have Lewis on the team to learn from him. Imagine that, the guy everyone says cracks under pressure and is "win-or-bin" would ever benefit from a guy who was going to win the WDC after a classic old style battle until FIA decided to play their games.

EDIT: Nico "same machinery" Rosberg won a WDC in the team with Lewis. I would say LEC should be able to match that bar to be considered a great.

Rikhart
Rikhart

Chuckjr wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 00:21
I see it as needless risk by Ferrari. They didn’t need to spend the money. They didn’t need a driver. They didn’t and don’t need what comes with Lewis. Simply in my opinion, it’s a bad call and yes I could be 100% wrong. Just what I think at the moment.
Exactly what I think, and already said so couple of days ago. Do they want to be seen like a hungry team or a golden retirement home...

LM10
LM10

jambuka wrote:
I think that even though Charles has shown improvement in that regard he still condemns himself way too harshly in situations he makes mistakes which puts extra pressure on him.

Obviously he knows he’s the golden boy at Ferrari and it’s only a matter of time until he wins a title. So contrary to your opinion I think that it might be a bit of a relief for him to be less in the spotlight with Lewis’ arrival. Also I’m absolutely convinced that Lewis directly or indirectly could be a mentor/teacher for him.

fasterthanks
fasterthanks

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 23:38
Deep down most people know that signing Hamilton is at odds with Leclerc but have no choice but to see the silver linings because most people are Ferrari fans, not driver fans. Even Leclerc is in this position. If he isn't disgusted by this signing, then he doesn't want to be a winner (which is something I have said in the past, that he may be too complacent and too much of a pushover for success).

With that said, Hamilton to Ferrari is exciting because we rarely get to see such big moves. Can't see how Leclerc fits though. As you said, Ferrari want Hamilton to get a title. This will only come at Leclerc's expense. Hamilton isn't coming to Ferrari to play a supporting role. It's like the finger wag all over again. Charles you will have to wait your turn (2028).
It will certainly be a delicate situation but I think this is an opportunity for Charles. He has to show that he backs himself no matter the circumstances and isn’t willing to sacrifice his ambition for a championship. I do see him as slightly more likely to “play the team game”, which might put him at a disadvantage sometimes. My hope is that he’ll see this as a chance to learn all he can from Lewis and grow from it.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 00:42
jambuka wrote:
What is this instead of thing? Charles when asked said it would be great to have Lewis on the team to learn from him. Imagine that, the guy everyone says cracks under pressure and is "win-or-bin" would ever benefit from a guy who was going to win the WDC after a classic old style battle until FIA decided to play their games.

EDIT: Nico "same machinery" Rosberg won a WDC in the team with Lewis. I would say LEC should be able to match that bar to be considered a great.
Leclerc doesn't need to be teammates with Lewis Hamilton to learn from him. All team radio is available on F1TV. Onboard footage of every pole lap and race lap that Hamilton has ever driven in addition to telemetry is available to him with the help of Ferrari data engineers.

I don't think Lewis is going to spend any tutoring Leclerc and telling him any tricks of the trade. They are still rivals. Hamilton is not coming to Ferrari to support Leclerc. He is only an obstacle with his own mission.

What made sense for Leclerc alone was to keep Sainz. What made sense for the brand of Ferrari was to take Hamilton, regardless of any consequence to Leclerc.

mkay
mkay

AR3-GP wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 02:51
dialtone wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 00:42
jambuka wrote:

Leclerc doesn't need to be teammates with Lewis Hamilton to learn from him. All team radio is available on F1TV. Onboard footage of every pole lap and race lap that Hamilton has ever driven in addition to telemetry is available to him with the help of Ferrari data engineers.

I don't think Lewis is going to spend any tutoring Leclerc and telling him any tricks of the trade. They are still rivals. Hamilton is not coming to Ferrari to support Leclerc. He is only an obstacle with his own mission.

What made sense for Leclerc alone was to keep Sainz. What made sense for the brand of Ferrari was to take Hamilton, regardless of any consequence to Leclerc.
While I agree with your assessment, perhaps Ferrari (and Charles) believe that he will perform better if he shares the spotlight with Lewis (or relinquishes it altogether).