2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 11:24
Fun fact:
KimiRai wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 10:40

A similar case occurred at the end of the 2014 season. Fernando Alonso, after his divorce from Maranello and his subsequent move to McLaren, managed to be followed by the then track engineer Andrea Stella. The same operation was not possible for Sebastian Vettel (who replaced Alonso at Ferrari) because the contract signed with Red Bull included a 'poaching' clause which prevented Guillaume "Rocky" Rocquelin (Seb's engineer in the four world championship seasons) from following Vettel in his new adventure in 'red'. Obviously a transfer is always possible with the consent of all parties, but it doesn't seem like the current scenario for Mercedes, taken by surprise and certainly not enthusiastic about Hamilton's departure.
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-re ... /10573618/

So Fernando brought Stella to Mclaren. :lol:
Yes I remember this, and I confess thinking at the time, have we just let him bring his mate to make sure the contract got signed...??

Turns out the real star signing was Stella!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

BMMR61

mwillems wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 15:00
AR3-GP wrote:
Fun fact:
KimiRai wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 10:40

A similar case occurred at the end of the 2014 season. Fernando Alonso, after his divorce from Maranello and his subsequent move to McLaren, managed to be followed by the then track engineer Andrea Stella. The same operation was not possible for Sebastian Vettel (who replaced Alonso at Ferrari) because the contract signed with Red Bull included a 'poaching' clause which prevented Guillaume "Rocky" Rocquelin (Seb's engineer in the four world championship seasons) from following Vettel in his new adventure in 'red'. Obviously a transfer is always possible with the consent of all parties, but it doesn't seem like the current scenario for Mercedes, taken by surprise and certainly not enthusiastic about Hamilton's departure.
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-re ... /10573618/

Yes I remember this, and I confess thinking at the time, have we just let him bring his mate to make sure the contract got signed...??

Turns out the real star signing was Stella!
And back in 2020 with the upward trend we thought Seidl was the deal. Zak was, unusually, very willing to let him out of his contract years early in late 2022 even though the future Audi team he was being released to was just a background apparition to the Sauber setup. Did Zak see a lack of technical nous in Seidl or something else? We groaned at the time losing a key part of the McLaren - Mercedes revival and now we see it as essential to make way for the "pearl within the oyster". This quiet, thoughtful man is seemingly the architect of our rebound from the lacklustre 2022 season.

mwillems

Seidl helped bring us forward to a good season where we had a hard fought win for fourth, but two subsequent lacklustre seasons saw us struggling. Seidl was likeable and it was James Key getting the flack from the fans. And rightly so. Both were a bit conservative. Stella took over and within 5 months we were the regular second fastest team. Undoubtedly it is the talent of the whole team that has brought us here, but equally undoubtedly it is Stella who has unlocked that talent.

It is worth remembering that Stella advised Zak to move to this new structure at Magny Cours in 22 and it is then that James Key's fate was being sealed, according to Zak, as in season development was not find anywhere near the time they needed. Seidl was granted permission to leave a little after that and given that Zak was already talking to Stella, you'd thing that Zak had one eye on these changes at this point. And who would oversee them.

Still a long way to go, but Stella has done in one year more than any Mclaren TP has been able to do in over a decade and has barely put a foot wrong.

-Bandit

KimiRai
KimiRai

AR3-GP wrote:
Didn't you know? haha
Alonso fans who remember his Ferrari seasons know how special Andrea Stella is. When he was promoted at McLaren there was no doubt in my mind that he would do a great job.

BMMR61

mwillems wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 22:42
Seidl helped bring us forward to a good season where we had a hard fought win for fourth, but two subsequent lacklustre seasons saw us struggling. Seidl was likeable and it was James Key getting the flack from the fans. And rightly so. Both were a bit conservative. Stella took over and within 5 months we were the regular second fastest team. Undoubtedly it is the talent of the whole team that has brought us here, but equally undoubtedly it is Stella who has unlocked that talent.

It is worth remembering that Stella advised Zak to move to this new structure at Magny Cours in 22 and it is then that James Key's fate was being sealed, according to Zak, as in season development was not find anywhere near the time they needed. Seidl was granted permission to leave a little after that and given that Zak was already talking to Stella, you'd thing that Zak had one eye on these changes at this point. And who would oversee them.

Still a long way to go, but Stella has done in one year more than any Mclaren TP has been able to do in over a decade and has barely put a foot wrong.
Truly impressive, I tend to hang on his every word which defies the usual TP blather or combative talk from Toto and Horner. I'm curious about the nature and sequence of the Seidl/Key dismantling. I was full of admiration, at least for Seidl, through to the almost win at Sochi in 2021, but was dismayed by the steepness of the decline through to the end of that season. Of course 2022 was the new formula and the first false start season - the car simply wasn't shaken down and the brakes were wooden. Then it was same again a year later but the Key approach to sidelining other voices had already been rumbled, at least as early as November 2022.

Was Seidl actually quietly elbowed aside to make way for a more constructive management structure due to 18 months of stagnation? Magny Cours in July was said by Zak to be a turning point so, like many things F1, the hatching period is always much longer than we tend to think. The turning of fortunes for McLaren probably did begin in July 2022 and not bear any outwardly noticeable rewards until the weekends of Austria and Silverstone eleven months later. So most of the faithful are probably much more excited about the Stella regime than at any time in it's predecessor's time, as good as the 1-2 at Monza felt.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Mclaren posted this. Exquisite racing:

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

AR3-GP wrote:
09 Feb 2024, 04:22
Still think Piastri should have sent it. Worst case they both crash and Norris has a good chance for a victory.

De Wet

FittingMechanics wrote:
09 Feb 2024, 11:47
AR3-GP wrote:
09 Feb 2024, 04:22
Still think Piastri should have sent it. Worst case they both crash and Norris has a good chance for a victory.

8) :D 8)

Macklaren
Macklaren

New partnership with Dropbox is the fourth new or renewed sponsor in the past week. Zak is on a roll!
Also, huge thanks to the team for revealing the livery early so I don't have to spend 10 days biting my nails wondering whether the car is going to be bare carbon with a couple of orange stickers

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Macklaren wrote:
09 Feb 2024, 16:06
New partnership with Dropbox is the fourth new or renewed sponsor in the past week. Zak is on a roll!
Also, huge thanks to the team for revealing the livery early so I don't have to spend 10 days biting my nails wondering whether the car is going to be bare carbon with a couple of orange stickers
No need to wonder, now you know it is bare carbon with couple of orange stickers.

But to be fair - it fits the car best of all others.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Do we have any idea what’s happening on Wednesday yet? Is it the usual live event, have they announced a time?

De Wet

Macklaren wrote:
09 Feb 2024, 16:06
Position on the car...

Espresso
Espresso

Key explained why a pull-rod configuration is trickier to perfect than a more conventional configuration.
Key expects more teams to adopt pull-rod front suspension
“In terms of the challenge, it’s definitely not what you’d do if you had a free hand at suspension design in its own right,” he said. “It’s very difficult. Everything’s kind of the wrong way around compared to a push-rod.
When I read this I’m happy he left the office.
Stuck to a principle and not understanding why teams start to use a pull rod -or- open to accept other solutions might be better…

Source:
https://www.racefans.net/2024/02/09/a-h ... uspension/

CjC
CjC

Espresso wrote:
10 Feb 2024, 20:37
Key explained why a pull-rod configuration is trickier to perfect than a more conventional configuration.
Key expects more teams to adopt pull-rod front suspension
“In terms of the challenge, it’s definitely not what you’d do if you had a free hand at suspension design in its own right,” he said. “It’s very difficult. Everything’s kind of the wrong way around compared to a push-rod.
When I read this I’m happy he left the office.
Stuck to a principle and not understanding why teams start to use a pull rod -or- open to accept other solutions might be better…

Source:
https://www.racefans.net/2024/02/09/a-h ... uspension/
Correct me if I wrong but from the outset of this ground effect era Red Bull and McLaren have run the same suspension set up- pullrod front and pushrod rear.
Key was the TD for the 2022 Mclaren which had that lay out some I’m not so sure he’s all that bad.
Is he referring to the anti-dive pulled front suspension layout?
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

The article just says what is known, the different layout offers no mechanical advantage, it offers advantages from an Aero point of view as the geometry allows for better airflow in the areas that count in this formula.

He was right on that. Just too conservative everywhere else.

-Bandit