2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Venturiation
Venturiation

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Both Redbull and McLaren using the midwing and talking about bringing the real car later
Zeropods all over again

djos

Venturiation wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 00:53
<snip>
Zeropods all over again
Unlikely!

Please ppl, stop with the silly over-reactions! Anyone would think you guy's had been following F1 for only 5 minutes! #-o
"In downforce we trust"

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Concerning "visually wild" new designs, there's a great quote from Adrian Newey's book.
... if you can come up with a decent concept then develop it year after year until either the regulations change or you realise it was the wrong route. That, for me, is the most fruitful way to work.

Conversely, you do see cars where there seems to be no continuity. The shape is different from the year before, and different again the year after. The team is confused and doesn't properly understand the car.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Mostlyeels wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 07:43
Concerning "visually wild" new designs, there's a great quote from Adrian Newey's book.
... if you can come up with a decent concept then develop it year after year until either the regulations change or you realise it was the wrong route. That, for me, is the most fruitful way to work.

Conversely, you do see cars where there seems to be no continuity. The shape is different from the year before, and different again the year after. The team is confused and doesn't properly understand the car.
This will certainly be a quote to remember...

djos

Mostlyeels wrote:

He nailed it alright!
"In downforce we trust"

ScottR267
ScottR267

BMMR61

Mostlyeels wrote:

Not thinking of Mercedes at all.

djos

BMMR61 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 09:06
Mostlyeels wrote:

Not thinking of Mercedes at all.
Yep! I’m amazed they didn’t change the driver location last year - ignoring Hamiltons feedback likely cost them his services.
"In downforce we trust"

MrGapes

Bit sad we won’t really get a proper look of the car till a few more days now… although I still believe even with the given render shots and video frames there is a lot to interpret. And I really don’t think it will be much different to what we will see Race 1.

As Djos alluded to earlier.. we are at a stage where it’s more refinement to existing volumes rather than any dramatic changes.

I’m personally quite happy with the changes in totality considering they achieved quite a nice baseline last year I wasn’t expecting anything other than a evolution.

mwillems

ScottR267 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 09:02
Thanks.

Looking forward to seeing this car in the first few races of the season, already the new mechanical platform has me excited.

It has the ability to improve both efficiency and downforce as well as consistency, so not something to be sniffed at.
I'm wondering what they have in the pipeline that didn't get to a state where they were ready to close off the development projects. I'm most looking forward to seeing a fully developed front end, they clearly have done work behind the front wheels as well as the suspension so I'm wondering if a new FW is in the early pipeline.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

genarro
genarro

Did the team perform a shakedown?

_cerber1

genarro wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 11:46
Yesterday

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

genarro wrote:
Strangely seems there are no spy shots. Only stuff McLaren released which is hand picked to not reveal anything.

MrGapes

FittingMechanics wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 11:50
genarro wrote:
Strangely seems there are no spy shots. Only stuff McLaren released which is hand picked to not reveal anything.
Yeah I was a bit surprised aswell, although they were using the other pits and doing the national circuit config…which maybe made it harder to spot.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

FittingMechanics wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 11:50
genarro wrote:
There were a few reflections of the car caught on video, but not that you can make out much from the reflections.
McLaren are in full expectation management mode, not overhyping the car. Just quietly confident. If the car is fast enough to challenge Red Bull, the headlines for McLaren will be quite pleasing from a marketing perspective.

Sounds like we probably won't see the race spec car until FP1 (see car thread).