2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

New tyres for Piastri. Time to put a fast lap.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

FittingMechanics wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 12:16
Nope. Glory runs don't tell you much of anything. They should continue with the testing programme they have, learn about the new platform, and try different setups and resolve any issues that pop up.

I think it's so far so good for McLaren.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

taperoo2k wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 12:23
FittingMechanics wrote:
Nope. Glory runs don't tell you much of anything. They should continue with the testing programme they have, learn about the new platform, and try different setups and resolve any issues that pop up.

I think it's so far so good for McLaren.
Piastri went out and did two fast laps with DRS (that weren't that good) and now is running without DRS. Could be that this is his race simulation to the end of the session. Two laps to simulate qualifying and now steady laps.

Seerix
Seerix

This is the 2nd run he is doing, both in similar fashion.
Start with a relatively fast lap or two in ~1.34s and then drop to around ~1.38s a do couple more laps.

Darth-Piekus

FittingMechanics wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 12:27
taperoo2k wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 12:23
FittingMechanics wrote:
Piastri went out and did two fast laps with DRS (that weren't that good) and now is running without DRS. Could be that this is his race simulation to the end of the session. Two laps to simulate qualifying and now steady laps.
Hopefully we see something more representative soon cause I am scared to think that the team is again 1.2 off the pace with the new team and facilities.

mwillems

We seem to be getting the laps in now.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

After a slow start - not a bad amount of laps. 56 laps at the moment.

Verstappen is at 66.
Leclerc 64
Russel 47
Alonso 77
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 21 Feb 2024, 13:03, edited 2 times in total.

McLarenMor
McLarenMor

Car is bottoming A LOT compared to anybody else from the onboards. Really crazy levels of bottoming, saw all onboards from the other big teams, none were bottoming close to that. all straights, main straight before the start-finish line you can hear it already. Hard for me to believe they are that much heavier than everyone else, maybe the suspension changes still needs to be learned.

mzivtins
mzivtins

McLarenMor wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:03
Car is bottoming A LOT compared to anybody else from the onboards. Really crazy levels of bottoming, saw all onboards from the other big teams, none were bottoming close to that. all straights, main straight before the start-finish line you can hear it already. Hard for me to believe they are that much heavier than everyone else, maybe the suspension changes still needs to be learned.
The Mercedes is actually porpoising, it did at the start of the session, a change was made, then later on in the session the car started doing it again which needed yet another very quick change.

The McLaren is skimming, rather than bottoming out, as there are no spark showers in the straight.

Plus the track is rippled a lot so i think it is all good and healthy

MrGapes

Longer stints looked far more stable on laptime at a high deg config. something I never saw last year.

They are doing shorter simulations with setup changes.

Can't compare lap times to anyone else.

MrGapes

McLarenMor wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:03
the car looks fine. I don't know what crazy levels of bottoming you are seeing.

all cars scrape the ground to a certain extent to run the floor close.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Seerix wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 12:28
This is the 2nd run he is doing, both in similar fashion.
Start with a relatively fast lap or two in ~1.34s and then drop to around ~1.38s a do couple more laps.
They are going for consistent runs rather than outright speed by the looks of it.
Oscar's done around 53 laps in this session, last few laps of the session Oscar was
doing an aero run with flowviz paint.

This has to be said every year, do not read too much into testing lap times. McLaren are likely working to a testing programme that probably aims to ensure the data from CFD, wind tunnel etc correlates with the data on the track, once that's verified they'll push on.
FYI - Max pole position lap time last year was a 1:29.708. Even Red Bull are "Slow".

McLarenMor
McLarenMor

Time will tell. Maybe you didn't watch onboards, it was egregious and easy to notice/hear. You can call is skimming or whatever, don't see a reason for that to happen that soon on the main straight.

Emag
Emag

Can we please not overreact on laptimes at this stage. Just take testing for what it is.

We wont have to wait long for the first race anyway.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

McLarenMor wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:16
Time will tell. Maybe you didn't watch onboards, it was egregious and easy to notice/hear. You can call is skimming or whatever, don't see a reason for that to happen that soon on the main straight.
That lap you are talking about was a lap on new tyres where Piastri went slower than he was doing earlier (on old tyres). Safe to say he was either very heavy or just the setup didn't work.

There are reasons the cars need to be as low as possible to the ground. Skimming obviously is not important as no team is focusing on eliminating it. Everyone sparks.