Red Bull RB20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
venkyhere
venkyhere

Re: Red Bull RB20

CHT wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 01:41
if proven to be beneficial in performance, we could see more cars adopting.
Wonder how difficult it will be to teams to switch to multiple cooling duct system
Im guessing it will be as difficult as coming up with a new tub/shell, philosophically speaking. To my understanding, number of radiators, piping, packaging etc is more or less fixed as dictated by the overall aero philosophy, and the only play-room teams would have, is with orientation changes, around a predetermined position. This thing that RedBull have done, going from RB19 -> RB20 looks more like "lets split the water radiator into 4 instead of 2, lets split the charge intercooler into 3 instead of 2" etc - that's quite a task to be doing as part of in-season-development, IMHO.

FW17

organic wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 16:49

We can already see the entire ducting of the halo inlets

https://i.postimg.cc/xC5DDwkp/rb20-abu- ... d-duct.jpg

And it's very likely they're using the vertical inlets to cool electronics
Much smaller than the torro rosso cooler

Andi76
Andi76

Bravo Scarbs! Finally an expert in the F1 media landscape who clearly states that Red Bull's sidepods are relatively conventional, and that zero-pods are not possible with these sidepods and radiator arrangement! What Red Bull has done is unique, definitely. But it has nothing to do with Zeropods, nor are the sidepods revolutionary or the arrangement of the radiators in a V-shape. The whole cooling concept, on the other hand, is definitely a new approach that deserves a lot of respect and is very courageous. Just as he rightly says that Newey, as I posted here a day or two ago, remembers innovative old and proven concepts, recognizes when they are useful or can bring advantages to a technical regulation and then integrates them for the benefit of the whole car. Funnily enough, he even gives the same examples with the blown diffuser and Sauber/Ferrari 2004/2005 V-shaped radiators....

abhi1200
abhi1200

The commitment of Adrian Newey to check the Damage cause by hitting the drainage cover by perez.

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

Andi76 wrote:

Bravo Scarbs! Finally an expert in the F1 media landscape who clearly states that Red Bull's sidepods are relatively conventional, and that zero-pods are not possible with these sidepods and radiator arrangement! What Red Bull has done is unique, definitely. But it has nothing to do with Zeropods, nor are the sidepods revolutionary or the arrangement of the radiators in a V-shape. The whole cooling concept, on the other hand, is definitely a new approach that deserves a lot of respect and is very courageous. Just as he rightly says that Newey, as I posted here a day or two ago, remembers innovative old and proven concepts, recognizes when they are useful or can bring advantages to a technical regulation and then integrates them for the benefit of the whole car. Funnily enough, he even gives the same examples with the blown diffuser and Sauber/Ferrari 2004/2005 V-shaped radiators....
The fact that he mentioned what you stated here without mentioning was stated by you made me think that either he is actively here or that you were him on disguise 🥸

Enviado do meu RMX3572 através do Tapatalk

organic

AMuS

Curbstone
Curbstone

organic wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 16:49
tmoneyr007 wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 16:47
I’m not marking/mocking this up but what IF.

You directed the vertical cooling ducts, halo, roll hoops into “one” big internal cooling/exhaust plenum and then had the S-Ducts trigger a mechanism to exhaust gases out the side (over side pods) or down the shark fin valley exists based on speed/yaw?

Cooling Exhaust (switch)?

Airflow over side pods to floor or out the back to interact with beam wing DRS?
We can already see the entire ducting of the halo inlets

https://i.postimg.cc/xC5DDwkp/rb20-abu- ... d-duct.jpg

And it's very likely they're using the vertical inlets to cool electronics
So the halo-ducts really do seem to be connected directly to the canon-louvres

Venturiation
Venturiation

kediown

organic

The second image is the RB19. look at nose

kediown

organic wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 12:27
The second image is the RB19. look at nose
You're right! Is the information true though? I'll delete the link if it's wrong

Martin Keene
Martin Keene

chrstphrln wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 23:05
I can't believe people are still writing about Zeropods at Red Bull.
How obsessed do you have to be if you want to recognize anything from the old Mercedes concept in the RB20?
It's also not clear to me why the vertical inlet has anything to do with Zeropod. Ferrari has been driving around with this all last year and no one has claimed that the SF-23 was developed with Mercedes in mind.
Which would have been complete nonsense.
Yep. This sidepod concept is far far closer to last years Red Bull with the inlet turned upside down than it is to Mercedes 'zeropod'. Not that it ever was a zeropod.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I wonder what they are cooling in this duct. I know they have silver tape which makes it look like a radiator, but I'm not sure it is. You can even see how they've added more tape on the 2nd day.

Is this more of an aero feature that has something small technically being cooled in the duct somewhere to meet the regs?

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Juzh

organic wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 20:55
More great reporting from Rosario & Formu1aUno

Interesting. Last year ferrari was superb on the brakes, are they using brembo? Perhaps RB is trying to close up in this area, maybe they spotted more braking performance with brembo.

Could be the reason for flaming brakes we say on day 1.

Holm86