2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
De Wet

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

His out...

genarro
genarro

was worried because he was driving to the pits in 2nd gear..looked like a clutch problem

De Wet

Still on the hards...

genarro
genarro

De Wet wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 15:22
Still on the hards...
Doing the race sims...all good

organic

genarro wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 15:24
De Wet wrote:
Still on the hards...
Still no. They'll start the race sim with a yellow banded C3 with laptimes in the 1.38s+

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

organic wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 15:25
genarro wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 15:24
De Wet wrote:
Still on the hards...
Still no. They'll start the race sim with a yellow banded C3 with laptimes in the 1.38s+
With the low number of laps they did so far, maybe they will not do a full race sim so I wouldn't be surprised if that 18 lap Piastri C1 stint was first part of their race sim.

mwillems

Piastri coming out on C3s
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

the EDGE
the EDGE

CjC wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 15:06
Basically the same interview as last night but talk a bit more about the car.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/stel ... /10578959/

Seems they are happy with the car and the development that’s to come but ours just that Red Bull which is the disappointment….
I'll settle for 2nd in the WCC, & this is going to sound harsh, but it is the reality. This needs to be a lesson.

It's simply unacceptable to be out-developed like this. If 'any' team wants to challenge RB they need to understand what RB has done, take a hard look at their own operation, and ensure going forwards they are thinking outside the box in a similar way. You simply cannot afford to be behind the development curve of any aspect in F1 and expect to win

I'm not an engineer or an aerodynamicist, and I don't claim to be able to do a better job, but they are and they do. Now it's time to frankly give up, or double down and do the business. The bar has been set. They must meet it.

Lets hope with their new signings, they are on the way to doing this

Seerix
Seerix

I guess this is as close as we get to performance runs, it's like 5th single quick lap attempt from Oscar on C3s

Ben1980
Ben1980

the EDGE wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 15:58
CjC wrote:

Seems they are happy with the car and the development that’s to come but ours just that Red Bull which is the disappointment….
I'll settle for 2nd in the WCC, & this is going to sound harsh, but it is the reality. This needs to be a lesson.

It's simply unacceptable to be out-developed like this. If 'any' team wants to challenge RB they need to understand what RB has done, take a hard look at their own operation, and ensure going forwards they are thinking outside the box in a similar way. You simply cannot afford to be behind the development curve of any aspect in F1 and expect to win

I'm not an engineer or an aerodynamicist, and I don't claim to be able to do a better job, but they are and they do. Now it's time to frankly give up, or double down and do the business. The bar has been set. They must meet it.

Then shouldn't you be applauding thr team for doing just that? They realised an issue, and have put in place ways to rectify. A new structure, new recruitment.

As soon as RBR took a jump on everyone, it was always going to be set in. But, you have to remember that the team were coming from a low base, with the financial issues it was struggling with. They have really had to build up again.

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 15:58
CjC wrote:

I don't understand this. We all knew RB had more time to look at their car, the team spoke about the fact that they had more time and would use it well. They've done better than anyone thought.

The team are still delivering, what can they do but keep working?

This is very different from the previous 2 winters where I myself was fully annoyed with the performance of the team.
Not sure how I can criticise this group of leaders and their teams output for not making up all the time the previous leadership allowed the team to drop back. They are getting their heads down and finding the time and doing the best they can from a disadvantaged starting position, but still got amongst the front runners and on face value appear to have kept us there.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

the EDGE
the EDGE

Who says I'm not applauding them? And where did I criticise their leadership?

I am simply pointing out the reality of the situation. And not just for McLaren, but for every team on the grid

We do not yet know the level of performance of RB, but you can sure as hell guarantee it will be a good step ahead, either now, or by the end of the season. Their operation has moved to the next level. Every team will have to now step up, Every team will have a hell of a lot of work to do this year to even just keep up

This is not me being negative, it is an obvious & clear cut reality.

BMMR61

Sounds pretty negative to me. My outlook is, there will be a truckload of parts flying out over the next few days. We still don't know how far we are from Red Bull and how other circuits will favour McLaren. It's all to play for, an intriguing time of the year.

the EDGE
the EDGE

BMMR61 wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 16:22
Sounds pretty negative to me. My outlook is, there will be a truckload of parts flying out over the next few days. We still don't know how far we are from Red Bull and how other circuits will favour McLaren. It's all to play for, an intriguing time of the year.
I sound negative or Stella sounds negative? He is the one saying “There's one car that seemed to have found a big step. Unfortunately, the car that was already the quickest last year", not me

If McLaren want to challenge them... they MUST do the same

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

I’m very pleased to see strong S2 performance. Something that was highlighted by Palmer too. It’s quite obvious that the car works really rather well. We are still down on power. See S1 performance which is relatively non technical. I’d say we are right with FER on ult pace. Not sure about race pace though. That is way too murky for me