2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sphere3758
Sphere3758

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

organic wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 17:52
Dafnalina wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 17:50
https://twitter.com/formularacers_/stat ... 4340651324

Slower than LEC, though tyre deg looks great. LEC lost the tyres towards the end,but he started a second a lap faster
Looks like a lot more deg for LEC to me
If you discount his last lap, it looks pretty great

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 17:44
mwillems wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 17:43
It could be, but I feel like they do have an edge on us and may have the advantage right now. Time will tell :)
Every preseason test Ferrari seems good.
Most recent seasons they have also been better than us :D
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Sphere3758 wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 18:02
organic wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 17:52
Dafnalina wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 17:50
https://twitter.com/formularacers_/stat ... 4340651324

Slower than LEC, though tyre deg looks great. LEC lost the tyres towards the end,but he started a second a lap faster
Looks like a lot more deg for LEC to me
If you discount his last lap, it looks pretty great
Yeah, but he only did 16 laps, Oscar did over 20 laps and his final laps were faster

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 18:02
I seriously doubt Ferrari has a second on McLaren in race pace.

Quite decent looking stints by Piastri. I think they have not nailed their setup so far.
Nah that was clearly a pre calculated delta that wasnt chalkenging the tyres yet. Good to see improvement on deg over the days running.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

So it seems that Red Bull is still the team to beat and hopefully the difference could be 3 tenths to cover. Definately closer than last year. Then we see Mercedes and Ferrari on possibly on equal level. For Mclaren I have no idea if they stand on that group as they havent opened their engine or had a C4.

mendis
mendis

Darth-Piekus wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 18:17
So it seems that Red Bull is still the team to beat and hopefully the difference could be 3 tenths to cover. Definately closer than last year. Then we see Mercedes and Ferrari on possibly on equal level. For Mclaren I have no idea if they stand on that group as they havent opened their engine or had a C4.
On long runs, their engine modes were similar to other cars. Around 3 to 5kph less depending on different stints. But the overall race sim isn't very encouraging. Mercedes is still a bit unknown whether they are in Ferrari category or the one below that contains McLaren and Aston.

Darth-Piekus

Interesting. When did Ferrari and Mercedes stopped developing last year to prepare their next car?

On another note seeing Zhuu 3rd on that C4 3 tenths from the first two gives me an idea that Mclaren should be able to be on par with Ferrari and Mercedes

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Zak said on f1 tv interview after the session that Mclaren feels they are there or thereabouts to where they were at the end of last year.
A lion must kill its prey.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

91 laps for Oscar. Good job and good recovery after some issues with the car.

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3-GP wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 18:34
Zak said on f1 tv interview after the session that Mclaren feels they are there or thereabouts to where they were at the end of last year.
In terms of gap or position?

the EDGE
the EDGE

mwillems wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 17:21
the EDGE wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 16:43
mwillems wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 16:34

I'm not sure who else could that criticism be directed at to be honest but perhaps it wasn't meant the way it sounded. It sounded like a Darth-Edge kind of rant, you didn't lend out your keyboard did you..??! :D

They had less time on the 2024 car than RB. I was highly surprised the team thought they would keep up, but was happy to buy into the idea we could, but the reality is that the major work to move the car forward happens under the skin on areas that require crash testing and major structural changes. We get one chance a year to update and what we learnt this week is just how much there was to do.

I think that if they worked on that car since March till Dec/Jan and we started the car in July August then suggesting we should maintain development parity was optimistic. I was surprised by Zak and Stella here. I get disappointment but "totally unacceptable" to not find the same time as RB in anywhere between 30-50% less development time seems very harsh IMO because we are still in the fight for the front runners and we are still finding time as they suggested we would. We can't control RB.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay get the message. I withdraw the word 'unacceptable'

But I don't, it is. Not from my point of view, but for any team with aspirations of challenging for titles, or even wins

I say again, it looks like the bar has been set very very high, and it is going to take a hell of a lot of work to reach it
I'm not sure if we didn't just leave ourselves with too much to do and perhaps got a bit too much optimism from last years progress. I'm sure it will be a lessons learnt and I understand folks disappointment that the optimism wasn't met in reality, I feel it too. And if you mean that they refuse to accept being second then I agree and I'm sure they would too.

But I do think it was unrealistic to suggest we would maintain parity with RB since they also knew the RB were starting work on the 24 car early. I don't think they will make these kind of comments again lol

Still an exciting fight ahead though and plenty of opportunity to make ground on RB as the season goes on. It's good to see your keyboard has been returned to you :mrgreen:
I never thought McLaren would catch RB this year, or even be a clear second. I know the likes of Ferrari, Merc, Aston will not stand still. What has shocked me is the scale of out of the box thinking. They have clearly taken inspiration from their rivals and figured out how to use that to take the car to the next level. It is still an evaluation IMO, and it's not even the Aero that impressess me most, it's the engineering under the skin that has made that possible I am in awe of Others will have no choice but to follow their lead, if they want to even just keep up

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Xyz22 wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 18:40
AR3-GP wrote:
It's unclear but this is what he said, word for word more or less:
It looks like we have good 1 lap pace, good race pace, you're never quite sure what everyone else was up to but I think it's a general sense we're pretty competitive, we kind of feel like we're there or thereabouts from where we maybe finished last year
A lion must kill its prey.

Xero

It does feel like it's almost status quo with regards to the pecking order, if not slightly tighter. With the team's emphasis on creating a strong development platform for the season I'd be more than content if they're grabbing top 6 positions early doors. McLaren seem primed to win that development race again, here's hoping!

genarro
genarro

Xero wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 19:04
It does feel like it's almost status quo with regards to the pecking order, if not slightly tighter. With the team's emphasis on creating a strong development platform for the season I'd be more than content if they're grabbing top 6 positions early doors. McLaren seem primed to win that development race again, here's hoping!
Exactly. Bahrain historicaly hasnt suited our car so the first race can be a bit deflated (4th fastest car) ... But otherwise on other circuits with the developements we can hope for wins.

I for one dont think that RB will dominate the same as they did last year. They are the fastest yes but not to that extent.

Here's to hoping

CjC
CjC

Xyz22 wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 18:40
AR3-GP wrote:
I’m going to suggest position. In Abu Dhabi McLaren were the 4th quickest team in the race.
Just a fan's point of view