2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren
Macklaren

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

they have been using the "where we ended last year" phrase all winter. That does not mean 4th in AD. It means roughly 2nd top of the chasing pack in the 2nd half of the season

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Lando's second half of the year was nuts.
A lion must kill its prey.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

CjC
CjC

Dafnalina wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 20:27
Well that stinks
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 19:35
they have been using the "where we ended last year" phrase all winter. That does not mean 4th in AD. It means roughly 2nd top of the chasing pack in the 2nd half of the season
Mercedes and Ferrari were very close or on a par at the end of the year. I think we'll swing between 2nd and 4th depending on the track.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 18:45
mwillems wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 17:21
the EDGE wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 16:43

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay get the message. I withdraw the word 'unacceptable'

But I don't, it is. Not from my point of view, but for any team with aspirations of challenging for titles, or even wins

I say again, it looks like the bar has been set very very high, and it is going to take a hell of a lot of work to reach it
I'm not sure if we didn't just leave ourselves with too much to do and perhaps got a bit too much optimism from last years progress. I'm sure it will be a lessons learnt and I understand folks disappointment that the optimism wasn't met in reality, I feel it too. And if you mean that they refuse to accept being second then I agree and I'm sure they would too.

But I do think it was unrealistic to suggest we would maintain parity with RB since they also knew the RB were starting work on the 24 car early. I don't think they will make these kind of comments again lol

Still an exciting fight ahead though and plenty of opportunity to make ground on RB as the season goes on. It's good to see your keyboard has been returned to you :mrgreen:
I never thought McLaren would catch RB this year, or even be a clear second. I know the likes of Ferrari, Merc, Aston will not stand still. What has shocked me is the scale of out of the box thinking. They have clearly taken inspiration from their rivals and figured out how to use that to take the car to the next level. It is still an evaluation IMO, and it's not even the Aero that impressess me most, it's the engineering under the skin that has made that possible I am in awe of Others will have no choice but to follow their lead, if they want to even just keep up
Not much different than Mercedes domination era… When you have a car that has a huge gap to the rest of the field, you start working on next year’s car earlier than anyone else, you are able to take more chances, explore more avenues for improvement… While everyone else is trying to “catch up” the dominant team can focus on at least keeping the gap to the others.

With RB been as dominant last year and based on their on track development, noticeably focusing on this year’s car before the rest, it is not surprising that they have found more time.

mwillems

What I respect and love about the RB20 is the ideas they pinched from the Mercedes that didn't work. That really is the icing on the cake. I take one look at that and I can't even be upset, it's a brilliant and ironic mockery of the W13/W14 that looks to be delivering time.

Here's how you do it right, Mercedes!

I'm optimistic some of that is directly pinchable though and that it will aid us in closing the gap this year.

The problem is RB will also be starting the RB21 early and getting ready to spend most of next year on the new regs.
There's a tough question for Mclaren next year in terms of their approach with the new regs.

Or perhaps we just outright develop next years chassis from now and see if we can bring it to the track this year.
Last edited by mwillems on 23 Feb 2024, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Xyz22
Xyz22

CjC wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 20:35
Dafnalina wrote:
Well that stinks
I wouldn't trust this too much tbh

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I also don't think Mclaren is that far behind. Not after what Zak Brown said today.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 23 Feb 2024, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.

Emag
Emag

Dafnalina wrote:
I somehow doubt they turned a 0.3-0.5s lead on Aston Martin to a 0.6s deficit.

But lets see next week.

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3-GP wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 20:57
I also don't think Mclaren is that far behind. Not after what Zak Brown said today.
Is there a link to the article ? Maybe they explain how they were able to estimate these results.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Xyz22 wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 21:00
AR3-GP wrote:
Is there a link to the article ? Maybe they explain how they were able to estimate these results.
It's from the motorsport-total test day live ticker about halfway down the page:
https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... e-24022302

The author just says this about it and even says he doesn't believe the Mclaren result:
Race Pace Ranking
The competition estimates that Red Bull is about half a second ahead of the rest of the field. This is indeed in line with our data, as you can see in this graph.

Of course, it should always be taken with a pinch of salt, especially McLaren and Alpine make a bit too bad an impression for me personally. It is possible that both teams have held back a bit.

But the order shouldn't be completely wrong.

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3-GP wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 21:04
Xyz22 wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 21:00
AR3-GP wrote:
It's from the motorsport-total test day live ticker about halfway down the page:
https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... e-24022302

The author just says this about it and even says he doesn't believe the Mclaren result:
Race Pace Ranking
The competition estimates that Red Bull is about half a second ahead of the rest of the field. This is indeed in line with our data, as you can see in this graph.

Of course, it should always be taken with a pinch of salt, especially McLaren and Alpine make a bit too bad an impression for me personally. It is possible that both teams have held back a bit.

But the order shouldn't be completely wrong.
"Our data"

I wonder what data are they using to make these assumptions.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

this one is from F1

McL-H
McL-H

Regardless of where McLaren stands in the pecking order, if Red Bull again really has such an advantage over its rivals and we’re up for another season like last year’s, I am not getting a subscription on any service to watch F1 this year.

I already found it off putting the way this cartel is closing down on new competitors like Andretti in this so called “sport”. If it wants to be WWE, fine. But if it ain’t a sport and it fails to deliver as a show, then what is it?

Will try some streams on Kodi to watch it. But I’m not paying anymore. I rather pay to watch MotoGP, that actually is a sport that delivers on entertainment time and time again.