2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

I'm still thinking 3rd behind Ferrari and RB, not too sure about Merc but they are right with us I'm sure.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I'm actually thinking P2, by a razor thing margin.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Dafnalina wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 21:17

this one is from F1
It's more like the truth. These kind of breakaways are similar to the second half of last season.

CjC
CjC

McL-H wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 21:23
Regardless of where McLaren stands in the pecking order, if Red Bull again really has such an advantage over its rivals and we’re up for another season like last year’s, I am not getting a subscription on any service to watch F1 this year.

I already found it off putting the way this cartel is closing down on new competitors like Andretti in this so called “sport”. If it wants to be WWE, fine. But if it ain’t a sport and it fails to deliver as a show, then what is it?

Will try some streams on Kodi to watch it. But I’m not paying anymore. I rather pay to watch MotoGP, that actually is a sport that delivers on entertainment time and time again.
Would you feel the same if Mclaren swapped with Red Bull?
Just a fan's point of view

Xyz22
Xyz22

Dafnalina wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 21:17

this one is from F1
I'm crying at the difference compared to the other report

Venturiation
Venturiation

mwillems wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 21:34

I'm still thinking 3rd behind Ferrari and RB, not too sure about Merc but they are right with us I'm sure.
James Allison said redbull are far in front, mercedes faster in race pace than Ferrari, Ferrari better in 1 lap pace
And followed by Aston
Didn't mention mclaren

Ben1980
Ben1980

There doesn't seem to be any real concern from the team. Which I'm taking as a good sign.

mwillems

Venturiation wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 21:59
mwillems wrote:

James Allison said redbull are far in front, mercedes faster in race pace than Ferrari, Ferrari better in 1 lap pace
And followed by Aston
Didn't mention mclaren
I have seen that but I don't take it as Gospel to be honest, there's a few ideas and predictions floating around.

For instance if the team think they are starting where they finished last year, then this directly contradicts James Vowles of Williams. Naturally they have the same data as Williams regarding the other teams, plus all the data on themselves so either we know something about ourselves that Vowles doesn't, or we have done a bad job of analysing the other teams. Either is possible of course.

Hopefully we aren't about to have our bubble burst and for Stella to have his first rough ride in F1.
Last edited by mwillems on 23 Feb 2024, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Another suggesting poor race pace for McLaren

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/ferr ... -analysis/

Mark suggests poor degradation too, yet the times posted in this thread today suggest otherwise…

It’s literally as clear as mud👍🏻

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 22:17
Venturiation wrote:
mwillems wrote:

And followed by Aston
Didn't mention mclaren
I have seen that but I don't take it as Gospel to be honest, there's a few ideas and predictions floating around.

For instance if the team think they are starting where they finished last year, then this directly contradicts James Vowles of Williams. Naturally they have the same data as Williams regarding the other teams, plus all the data on themselves so either we know something about ourselves that Vowles doesn't, or we have done a bad job of analysing the other teams. Either is possible of course.

Hopefully we aren't about to have our bubble burst and for Stella to have his first rough ride in F1.
What did James Vowles say?

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

Just relax. There will be a lot of stupid graphs in the coming days made by people whose job is to sell narratives. Ignore them.
F1's pace prediction accuracy is meme level. Same goes for The Race.

mwillems

CjC wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 22:18

Mark suggests poor degradation too, yet the times posted in this thread today suggest otherwise…

Q puts us 4th, within a tenth of both Ferrari and Mercedes.
Race is based on Piastris race sim. We know that this sim did not challenge the tyres, a lot of laps and no drop off, so simply noting it was slower than Albon doesn't count for much. In fact that added to my feeling that the pace was hiding inside the tyre deg.

-Bandit

mwillems

CjC wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 22:19
mwillems wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 22:17
Venturiation wrote:

And followed by Aston
Didn't mention mclaren

What did James Vowles say?
Sorry, Allison!
:D

Obviously he thinks Merc are in the mix, and Mclaren think Mclaren are in the mix.
Last edited by mwillems on 23 Feb 2024, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 22:18

Its easy, I just assume they're midfield level until proven otherwise.

That way, if they are still where they left off last year, its a pleasant surprise.

The whole testing they've been lowkey, but is that them not trying to show anything, or is that them being weaker than last year, that remains to be seen.

I guess I have said this enough at this point, but visually speaking, there's nothing outstanding that jumps out when you look at the MCL38 compared to the RBR, Ferrari, Merc and Aston.

But then again, the car wasn't anything crazy last year neither (again, visually speaking).

elldizzle
elldizzle

Looking back at the race sims Leclerc vs Piasti. We have to remember Piastri's struggles with deg last year. That race sim looks like Piastri learning how to keep the tyres going for longer. More consistency than Leclerc, more laps and faster pace at the end. Which for my untrained eye, looks like him managing the deg very well. We saw quite a big drop off towards the end for leclerc compared to Piasti. Which leads me to believe Piastri was driving to a delta and learning how to manage the tyres. We also don't know the engine mode or aero levels between the 2 cars. Looks to me like Piastri was holding back on pace for his own learning with management. Shame we didnt get to see a similar run with Lando.