2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

BMMR61 wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 22:04
CjC wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 22:00
@Mwillems- Was just about to say after reading your post that this car was primarily developed in the old wind tunnel like the MCL60 so it’s no surprise really that to a certain degree some of the old weakness’s are still apparent
Shows just how long the development cycle of every new F1 car really is these days. It's got to be more than 9 months from the initial platform layout and initial wind tunnel test.
Noooooo much quicker than that.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 21:54
F1 with their predictions. I'd love to see how they got to these numbers. I fail to see any metric where the data fits what they predicted.

I have a suspicion that this "analysis" is heavily influenced by "magic numbers" where they fit teams where they expect them to be. Red Bull did not show much yet they predict them P1, McLaren looked good in race pace yet they put them far down.
We should start tracking the predictions of all the sites and place against each the actual result, and start to see who is clever and who is not.

-Bandit

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

mwillems wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 22:15
FittingMechanics wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 21:54
F1 with their predictions. I'd love to see how they got to these numbers. I fail to see any metric where the data fits what they predicted.

I have a suspicion that this "analysis" is heavily influenced by "magic numbers" where they fit teams where they expect them to be. Red Bull did not show much yet they predict them P1, McLaren looked good in race pace yet they put them far down.
We should start tracking the predictions of all the sites and place against each the actual result, and start to see who is clever and who is not.
F1's Friday ones will definitely be near the bottom, they are horrendous. The Race generally does a better job of compiling long run data, not always accurate with their calls but good useful info for the reader

mwillems

As Oscar said in his quotes, we will find out tomorrow who is sandbagging. I don't know what to make of those "long" run numbers on C3s because there clearly looks to be a considerable delta, felt like they were just getting used to what the tyre was capable of.

-Bandit

BMMR61

mwillems wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 22:14
BMMR61 wrote:
CjC wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 22:00
@Mwillems- Was just about to say after reading your post that this car was primarily developed in the old wind tunnel like the MCL60 so it’s no surprise really that to a certain degree some of the old weakness’s are still apparent
Shows just how long the development cycle of every new F1 car really is these days. It's got to be more than 9 months from the initial platform layout and initial wind tunnel test.
McLaren announced, from memory around June, that the new tunnel was up and running, and would not be used for any development work on the 60. The impression they gave at the time that they were satisfied with the correlation of the new tunnel. Why would they not be doing initial testing of the MCL38 in it unless it was too late? Hence my speculation that the development cycle is around 9 months to preseason test.

CjC
CjC

It seems like every team at some point in Bahrain has had a ‘race winning stint’ :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

BMMR61 wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 22:34
mwillems wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 22:14
BMMR61 wrote:

McLaren announced, from memory around June, that the new tunnel was up and running, and would not be used for any development work on the 60. The impression they gave at the time that they were satisfied with the correlation of the new tunnel. Why would they not be doing initial testing of the MCL38 in it unless it was too late? Hence my speculation that the development cycle is around 9 months to preseason test.
Ahh I thought you meant from conception to the first wind test, I read it wrong.

The new tunnel was used in anger from late August. Zak suggested in a recent interview that the new cars tend to start development around May/ June so 9 months for the complete cycle including build is probably right.

-Bandit

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Let's hope it's true

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Dafnalina wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 23:17

Let's hope it's true
Yes, it's true. I haven't noticed in a long time that in free practice McLaren drive very fast, just to console themselves. As a rule, on the contrary, they drive quietly, not giving their best. It is difficult to judge who has what reserve on speed still has, but that's what qualifying and the race is for. We'll see soon.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

SmallSoldier wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 20:14
MCLvamos wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 20:11
SmallSoldier wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 20:10

There were several mechanical / chassis changes, so there might still be a bit too learn in terms of setup, but with the regulations been stable, I would be surprised if they don’t have a very good idea of “what works”.

The one thing that I haven’t found any information about is in regards to the operating window for the tires… Did we increase the window? McLaren suffered a lot in “hot conditions” last year, with a car that could heat up the tires quiet quick, but could overheat them as easy… My understanding is that the operating window of the tires for the MCL60 was quiet narrow and that made them compromise a bit in terms of setup
To be fair I think that was solved decently (although not completely) with the Austria package.
I’m sure the Austria packaged helped, but that was more an aero upgrade (bringing more efficiency to the package), but it wasn’t a mechanical change… which was one of the main culprits for the “window width”.

But I’m just speculating… Excited about the start of the season, let’s have a good one!
Tyre operating window and car setup are two things I'll be really interested to watch over this season. I'm braced for an average first race (but always hopeful), but keen to see how the season unfolds for McLaren vs the rest.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Mostlyeels wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 00:02
SmallSoldier wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 20:14
MCLvamos wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 20:11

To be fair I think that was solved decently (although not completely) with the Austria package.
I’m sure the Austria packaged helped, but that was more an aero upgrade (bringing more efficiency to the package), but it wasn’t a mechanical change… which was one of the main culprits for the “window width”.

But I’m just speculating… Excited about the start of the season, let’s have a good one!
Tyre operating window and car setup are two things I'll be really interested to watch over this season. I'm braced for an average first race (but always hopeful), but keen to see how the season unfolds for McLaren vs the rest.
I’m with you… I’m sure there is still some performance to unlock based on setup alone… If they are not miles ahead from the leading pack (not necessarily P1) and able to fight with the cars around them, it will be a good start to the season

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Dafnalina wrote:

Let's hope it's true
It would be unlike McLaren to go for "glory runs" in FP. Usually it is other way around. They are slow in FPs, especially on Friday but then much better on Saturday and Sunday.

Oscar said they need to figure out why the car is quick sometime and slow other times. I guess they still don't fully grasp this car and it's possible this good pace goes away tomorrow.

BMMR61

FittingMechanics wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 00:14
Dafnalina wrote:

Let's hope it's true
It would be unlike McLaren to go for "glory runs" in FP. Usually it is other way around. They are slow in FPs, especially on Friday but then much better on Saturday and Sunday.

Oscar said they need to figure out why the car is quick sometime and slow other times. I guess they still don't fully grasp this car and it's possible this good pace goes away tomorrow.
I agree. Only on a few weekends last year did McLaren not make strong gains between FP and qualifying. The problem in the first half of the season was then taking that pace into the race without degradation killing off the anticipated competitiveness. So far from what I've seen we seem to have decent race sim pace, Oscar's stint yesterday looked surprisingly close to RedBull especially considering the Bahrain layout and the abrasiveness of the surface.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
Dafnalina wrote:

Let's hope it's true

Do you have a link to that quote from Oscar?

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 08:18
FittingMechanics wrote:
Dafnalina wrote:

Let's hope it's true

Do you have a link to that quote from Oscar?
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/vide ... 75210.html