2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SSScoffee
SSScoffee

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Lando even said it himself, he often does poorly in Q. I think it's an important aspect because for example Russell aces most Q sessions. If he gets a championship winning car he cannot afford these mistakes

mwillems

dia6olo wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 21:27
mwillems wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 20:44
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/vide ... 25933.html

Lando: "I messed up sector 1, had a little oversteer on the exit of 1, just as I came on the throttle, and it cost me easily 1 and a half tenths, and it cost me P2. It's frustrating, and because of this I felt like I wanted to push a bit more... wrong thing to do... then I paid the price again in turn 4 with another couple of mistakes, the rest of the lap was there or thereabouts. The car was easily good enough for a front row."
I don't understand these type of comments, one can say "could have", "should have" and "lost this amount", they all mean nothing without context.
It means nothing if he feels he could have gone 3 tenths faster if all the drivers who finished ahead also feel they made mistakes and could have gone 3 or 4 tenths faster, maybe the drivers behind also feel they made mistakes and could have gone 5 tenths faster...
I'm not sure how sensible an idea it is to remove from any conversation the drivers idea of their performance in a given session. It is of course an important perspective.

Aside from that, it wasn't little mistakes and not a case of drawing together perfect sectors (Which has never been a good gauge of speed), it was a large mistake at the beginning of a lap that had a big consequence and one which was not visible in the other drivers performance. I'm sure everyone could do better. I'm sure Lando could do better later in his own lap too with small things here and there, but obviously he felt those mistakes at the start of the lap were sufficiently large and consequential enough that they warrant talking about.

The idea that these mistakes keep happening is an important narrative in his career, his attempts to win a world championship and the teams success. So even more so they are an important discussion point, because with the teams as close as they are right now, it is quite possible that this could be a championship year for Lando if things go the right way for him and the team.

Ergo, he needs to nail these mistakes because the consequences are far bigger than a single session or a single weekend.
Last edited by mwillems on 01 Mar 2024, 22:42, edited 3 times in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Jambier

emp wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 20:23
If they can keep the development pace as last year and find those same gains during the season, they are on for some wins.
Last year they changed the car it will not happen again.

But yes let’s see if they can out develop the others , 24 races, very close top5 teams, it can change a LOT until the end

Marc.W

I'm happy, not only because we're in the mix but also because Red Bull aren't 1 second faster than everyone, should hopefully be a good season!

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

mwillems wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 22:30
dia6olo wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Lando: "I messed up sector 1, had a little oversteer on the exit of 1, just as I came on the throttle, and it cost me easily 1 and a half tenths, and it cost me P2. It's frustrating, and because of this I felt like I wanted to push a bit more... wrong thing to do... then I paid the price again in turn 4 with another couple of mistakes, the rest of the lap was there or thereabouts. The car was easily good enough for a front row."
I don't understand these type of comments, one can say "could have", "should have" and "lost this amount", they all mean nothing without context.
It means nothing if he feels he could have gone 3 tenths faster if all the drivers who finished ahead also feel they made mistakes and could have gone 3 or 4 tenths faster, maybe the drivers behind also feel they made mistakes and could have gone 5 tenths faster...
I'm not sure how sensible an idea it is to remove from any conversation the drivers idea of their performance in a given session. It is of course an important perspective.

Aside from that, it wasn't little mistakes and not a case of drawing together perfect sectors (Which has never been a good gauge of speed), it was a large mistake at the beginning of a lap that had a big consequence and one which was not visible in the other drivers performance. I'm sure everyone could do better. I'm sure Lando could do better later in his own lap too with small things here and there, but obviously he felt those mistakes at the start of the lap were sufficiently large and consequential enough that they warrant talking about.

The idea that these mistakes keep happening is an important narrative in his career, his attempts to win a world championship and the teams success. So even more so they are an important discussion point, because with the teams as close as they are right now, it is quite possible that this could be a championship year for Lando if things go the right way for him and the team.

Ergo, he needs to nail these mistakes because the consequences are far bigger than a single session or a single weekend.
Spot on, it's almost getting frustrating now watching Q3. Needs more of that metronomic consistency that the likes of Max have, there's no need for heroic pulling-it-out-the-bag laps now that the car is good

mwillems

I actually think he will come good. Something will click and he will nail it relentlessly once that monkey is off his back. I just hope for his sake that it happens as early as possible so he can enjoy the success that he is capable of. As I was saying last year, having more pressure may help because he will simply get used to it, he won't have a choice, and the pressure will become just part of the scenery and something he is used to.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Drag? Unbelievable. And I thought I wouldn't see this problem this season.

dia6olo
dia6olo

mwillems wrote:
dia6olo wrote:
mwillems wrote:

It doesn't matter how big or little the mistake was, ignore it and take his best 3 sectors, do the same for others and he gets a P3, so he could have certainly done better, of that there is no doubt.
However he would have still been 0.321s off Leclerc who would have been P1.
The point I'm making is a lot of drivers make mistakes and could have gone quicker.
Last edited by dia6olo on 01 Mar 2024, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

Ben1980
Ben1980

What was his mistake this time? I haven't seen the lap.

mwillems

dia6olo wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 22:52
mwillems wrote:
dia6olo wrote:

It doesn't matter how big or little the mistake was, ignore it and take his best 3 sectors, do the same for others and he gets a P3, so he could have certainly done better, of that there is no doubt.
However he would have still been 0.3.21s off Leclerc who would have been P1.
The point I'm making is a lot of drivers make mistakes and could have gone quicker.
Of course it matters, because there are other mistakes in Lando's lap, he didn't just make one solitary mistake that added up to the time across all of Leclercs lap. It's clear from the data by comparing his last lap to his previous runs and other drivers runs that he made another large mistake at turn 8 losing 2 tenths.

-Bandit

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Chopping up best sectors and imagining a driver further ahead than he qualified is very bad practice. There's a reason that the sectors were not strung together. Sometimes it's because tire was overused in 1 sector and leaves nothing left for the others. Drivers also make mistakes when they try to outdrive the car.
A lion must kill its prey.

Emag
Emag

True, very rarely do drivers nail the perfect ideal lap, and if you have some experience with simracing, you would know how hard that is to do.

But also, when you make some huge mistake, you know you gave up "easy" time.

So, basically, if you have to drive a near perfect lap to be on par with the competition, chances are your car is lacking a bit of speed compared to them.

Because its highly unlikely everyone else drove a near perfect ideal lap.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Ben1980 wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 22:56
What was his mistake this time? I haven't seen the lap.
T1 missed apex and oversteer on exit.
Then tried to make up time and made a similar mistake in T4.

Macklaren
Macklaren

LionsHeart wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 22:51
Drag? Unbelievable. And I thought I wouldn't see this problem this season.

https://i.ibb.co/N2w0x1K/61-A0-D25-C-55 ... 3-AB81.png
I think we're running a bigger wing. That's why we are purple in S2. But clearly the trade off is not much which is why we are in the mix for front row

mwillems

For amusement I strung together the Best sectors of each driver and in that metric, which as we know is pretty useless, Lando would have been P3 In front of Leclerc.

-Bandit