2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 19:22
fouad1979 wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 19:15
diffuser wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 19:12

Well, I'm not gonna say they don't have challenges in the long run pace. If they had stopped 4 laps sooner on the first stint and 4 laps soon on the 2nd, their pace overall would have been faster. Maybe finished the race less than 5 seconds behind Piastri.
be smart man, they choosed this strategy for a safety car, its why Fernando was always pitting 10 laps after,
It's doesn't really matter,even if come safety car,still couldn't finish on podium. I didn't know last year lap times,but they just was very very slow on hards.
AMR finished where their pace warranted. Safety car might have allowed them to finish higher than where they deserved is all. Damage limitation.

Fastest lap time @ Bahrain is 2 seconds faster that 2023.

diffuser

Jambier wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 19:32
xReVo wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 19:30
Alonso is thinking about retiring
There are no reasons to continue and fight for P9 for him

So he will try Mercedes or retire that make sense.
If you had a choice between Alonso for 1 or 2 years max or Sainz in his prime, who would you choose? Right now Sainz is looking pretty good.

KimiRai
KimiRai

De la Rosa

We did wish for something more, but with a cool head we didn't expect anything else because the numbers were not deceiving. In the strategy meeting before the race Fernando's expected position without any accidents or problems was P9 and in the end he was P9. You always expect to be a little bit better, but in the end that's where we are.

We have seen a car that was more competitive in qualifying, it is surprisingly fast, then in the race we suffered a lot, especially with full tanks. The team tried to go against the tide, that is to say, to try to extend the stops to see if a safety car or a virtual one would come out and it could benefit them.

We are where the pre-season tests showed us to be, yesterday we were a little bit on top but we have to keep understanding the car, maximising it and above all evolving it. We have to work especially on tyre degradation, yesterday Fernando was there on a lap in the top three, but in race pace it was clear today, we have to understand why, but it was clear that we have worse degradation than other teams. It's about working on the car, working on the different heights that are intimately linked to different fuel levels, understanding it and evolving it.

[Question about the coming upgrades]
They are in the oven. Work is in progress.
What we do have is a very clear development plan, we already have several leaps planned throughout the season, I can't give you more details because it would be really irresponsible on my part. We are working very hard and we will see how the next few weeks go in the wind tunnel, the production.

DGP123
DGP123

Agree. Fernando should retire at seasons end. Going to be painful watching him try and escape AM for Merc this year. I can see a spat with Lawrence at some point.

Aston should be all in for Carlos. It’s the best option out there by a country mile.

KimiRai
KimiRai

DGP123 wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 20:17
Agree. Fernando should retire at seasons end. Going to be painful watching him try and escape AM for Merc this year. I can see a spat with Lawrence at some point.

Aston should be all in for Carlos. It’s the best option out there by a country mile.
You were waiting for three months to say this :lol: every time there is some issue to Aston/Alonso you don't miss the opportunity. I admit for now you've earned it so, to Caesar what is Caesar's.

SSJ4
SSJ4

wonder if the cars characteristics have changed compared to last years. will be interesting too see how they do at races like british and Canadian grand prix.

car was great at canada but we struggled massively at silverstone

wiktor977
wiktor977

Bad race for Aston, no doubt about that but you guys need to calm down a little. Let's at least wait until Australia.

Redragon

diffuser wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 19:47
Jambier wrote:
xReVo wrote:

If you had a choice between Alonso for 1 or 2 years max or Sainz in his prime, who would you choose? Right now Sainz is looking pretty good.

Sainz is a good option but do you really want to go to Mercedes against a driver managed by Toto and another waiting behind. Probably no. I think Sainz is done being number 2 driver and demonstrating could be number 1. My feeling is he will sign for Audi. With Mercedes is not guarantee either will win championship while Redbull is dominant.

Jambier

diffuser wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 19:47
Jambier wrote:
xReVo wrote:

I am an Alonso fan so I’m not objective but:

- For Aston sign Sainz for several years is better choice
- For Mercedes a 1y with ALO with 1 option to wait for Kimi Antonelli to be ready

Now that they have « lost » Hamilton they need to have Kimi, so the driver they will have before that can only be a transition one

Jambier

SSJ4 wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 20:38
wonder if the cars characteristics have changed compared to last years. will be interesting too see how they do at races like british and Canadian grand prix.

car was great at canada but we struggled massively at silverstone
I think the new rear suspension is a very big change.

To be honest it was not a « bad » race.
All top5 teams are much closer than before and we knew Aston cannot be in 2 years a world champion F1 team.

They are in the fight and the last step is the hardest, this is still a good project for any driver that have 5 years career remaining, somehow I have more confidence in them than in McLaren for that.

This is just the question of Alonso, being the driver doing all the job here and that will leave at the end of the season probably.
They will have quite soon to decide what to do with drivers.

I have mixed feeling about this car, I think they have done a great job but reality is hard

Curious to see anyway with 24 races and cars quite close how this can evolve

The winter with big changes just bring a status quo at the end, quite astonishing

KimiRai
KimiRai

Th e best upgrade Aston Martin will ever have is Alonso at the wheel, lets trust the team that they are going to turn the season around and keep that upgrade on the steering hweel

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

KimiRai wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 21:37
Th e best upgrade Aston Martin will ever have is Alonso at the wheel, lets trust the team that they are going to turn the season around and keep that upgrade on the steering hweel
I think they just shouldn't go 2 stop and try to save tyres and basically loose 20 sec. The car look good on qualification then should be good on long run also. In the car have potential for sure. They really just should push on maximum with an extra pitstop.
Mercedes and Williams had problem with the Mercedes power units, maybe Aston also had some warming issue?
Last edited by OnEcRiTiCaL on 02 Mar 2024, 21:57, edited 2 times in total.

xReVo
xReVo

The thing that I find most absurd is that it is not clear that McLaren, who last year was 1 second a lap behind us, has improved so much that even now they are ahead. That is, it is unacceptable stuff. Mercedes and Ferrari have brought a new concept and are ahead, McLaren has practically brought last year's car and what about us? We evolve a concept that we know very well, we sacrifice the entire second half of last season to do tests etc. for the 2024 car and then we make such a fool of ourselves?

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

xReVo wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 21:54
The thing that I find most absurd is that it is not clear that McLaren, who last year was 1 second a lap behind us, has improved so much that even now they are ahead. That is, it is unacceptable stuff. Mercedes and Ferrari have brought a new concept and are ahead, McLaren has practically brought last year's car and what about us? We evolve a concept that we know very well, we sacrifice the entire second half of last season to do tests etc. for the 2024 car and then we make such a fool of ourselves?
Don't think so this the case,because when Aston was slow ,they was slow at qualifying and race also. Yesterday Aston was only from 0.3s from Max and only 0.1-0.2 sec from Ferrari and Russell. I hardly can believe that at Qualification Aston fast as Ferrari but at race they are literally out of top 10. I hate to say it again, but for me looks like F1 race is all about Pirelli and not about teams or cars. But is also very possible, that they had the same issue as Mercedes and Williams, just we don't know yet.
Last edited by OnEcRiTiCaL on 02 Mar 2024, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

Rikrikrik
Rikrikrik

Probably Aston was fine, Before start the race, Alonso said on a pre race interview their simulations put him on P9, so, they were expecting this position, sadly, but. The truth is. Aston is slow and the car isnt work for race and they need improve more. For me, they have the same last year problem. They dont know how ajust the optimal setup, like mercedes last year and 2022. Probably Aston will have a rise and shine of glory on certain moments and after that, down in to darkness
OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 22:46
xReVo wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 21:54
Don't think so this the case,because when Aston was slow ,then was slow at qualifying and race Also. Yesterday Aston was only from 0.3s from Max and only 0.1-0.2 sec from Ferrari and Russell. I hardly can believe that at Qualification Aston fast as Ferrari but at race they are literally out of top 10. I hate to say it again, but for me looks like F1 race is all about Pirelli and not about teams or cars. But is also very possible, that they had the same issue as Mercedes and Williams, just we don't know yet.