2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren
Macklaren

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

If the car is not good enough for front row, it will be hard to guarantee Q3, given how competitive the top-5 teams are + Haas/RB one lap pace. And the team, yesterday, did not sound like Q3 was their target/would be a fight

Mansell89
Mansell89

I wouldn’t worry about Lance, Bearman, or the Racing Bulls- I think we’re comfortably clear of those if we complete clean laps.

Think both us and Le Clerc have enough to fight for second row and maybe Perez actually.

thestig84
thestig84

I agree. All the noises (including actions like saving the set of tyres) have been quite positive going by usual standards.

CjC
CjC

Wow one minute talking about hiding pole position pace to not making it into Q3 now :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

Anywhere from p3 to p10 possible imo.

mwillems

BosF1 wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 17:33
The free practices have been a bit odd regarding the aborted push laps. It's not something the team has done in the past years. And rightly so, because all the teams can extract relative pace from others due to GPS data, even if the lap was aborted. So you would not do it to hide pace from your competitors.

Why would they do relative many aborted push laps this weekend? Any thoughts?
The act of going fast and coming in is not an act of sandbagging, as it was clear to everyone
they were able to do a competitive FP3 lap.

All they are doing is avoiding the headlines of how fast Mclaren are if the relative pace puts them further back than the fans aspirations were aiming for, since FP3 still isn't fully representative.

Perhaps they are trying to help fans by not posting a time that gets everyone's hopes up too high 🤣
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

BosF1 wrote:
The free practices have been a bit odd regarding the aborted push laps. It's not something the team has done in the past years. And rightly so, because all the teams can extract relative pace from others due to GPS data, even if the lap was aborted. So you would not do it to hide pace from your competitors.

I have only one explanation: in practice there is little free time, and in order to test as many settings options as possible, two full sectors are attacked, and the third sector is thrown into the pitlane before the race in order to immediately go there to change the settings. It's less about hiding race pace and more about simply being able to work more on different setup options.

Xero

LionsHeart wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 18:28
BosF1 wrote:

I have only one explanation: in practice there is little free time, and in order to test as many settings options as possible, two full sectors are attacked, and the third sector is thrown into the pitlane before the race in order to immediately go there to change the settings. It's less about hiding race pace and more about simply being able to work more on different setup options.
That's my take on it too. Optimising time to fine tune the setup, one they're likely not fully happy with. They won't be too far off, it'll be tight with Merc and Aston.

Darth-Piekus

Cant say enough of a good first run but way better second run. Careful though mr. Oscar. We don't want a damaged car. Was our time on used tyres or on new ones?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

With these small margins - track evolution is super important. I hope the team goes out as late as possible.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Ozzys lap must have been very good considering he lost time hitting the wall!

Slahinki
Slahinki

Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 19:07
Cant say enough of a good first run but way better second run. Careful though mr. Oscar. We don't want a damaged car. Was our time on used tyres or on new ones?
Used. And then the same used tyres for this run.

Darth-Piekus

Pretty impressive times on used soft tyres and a second run. I suppose they saved tyres and didn't do another run.

Maybe I'm completely mistaken, the car definately seems much better here but I'm not sure they can match either Ferrari or Red Bull still. Only after they bring the first upgrade from the new tunnel we can see an important difference.

Again I repeat I hope the team makes me eat my words on a front row Qualification. Lando owes us a top Q3 run without mistakes.

Don't we have a Discord server to chat?

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

we look pretty slow, disappointing session so far

Darth-Piekus

We seem to be losing time on Part 3 of the circuit. Did we use a used soft or a new soft?
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 08 Mar 2024, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.