2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SSJ4
SSJ4

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

i think the team lost there tyre edge during last season anyways. i know its not the underlying factor since canada upgrades messed up the balance of the car. but that pirelli tyre change last season did something imo

f1isgood
f1isgood

SSJ4 wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 17:36
i think the team lost there tyre edge during last season anyways. i know its not the underlying factor since canada upgrades messed up the balance of the car. but that pirelli tyre change last season did something imo
I think it was more to do with the changes/upgrades at Spain. It wasn't at Silverstone that the car went bad. It was at Barcelona.

diffuser

f1isgood wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 17:46
SSJ4 wrote:
I think it was more to do with the changes/upgrades at Spain. It wasn't at Silverstone that the car went bad. It was at Barcelona.
It wasn't the car that changed, it was the track layout exposed the front end weakness that the previous tracks didn't have to show.

f1isgood
f1isgood

diffuser wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 03:05
f1isgood wrote:
SSJ4 wrote:
It wasn't the car that changed, it was the track layout exposed the front end weakness that the previous tracks didn't have to show.
But aren't Australia and Miami both front limited tracks? If the car had an inherent front end weakness that would have definitely shown? At Australia Fernando had same pace as the Mercedes cars, but not enough overpace to pass, which was due to the car's weakness in qualifying. At Miami, outside the RBs, Fernando was comfortably ahead. Wouldn't front end weakness show itself in tracks where front tires are inherently under more stress like Miami and Australia?

diffuser

f1isgood wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 12:53
diffuser wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 03:05
f1isgood wrote:

But aren't Australia and Miami both front limited tracks? If the car had an inherent front end weakness that would have definitely shown? At Australia Fernando had same pace as the Mercedes cars, but not enough overpace to pass, which was due to the car's weakness in qualifying. At Miami, outside the RBs, Fernando was comfortably ahead. Wouldn't front end weakness show itself in tracks where front tires are inherently under more stress like Miami and Australia?
The Pirelli write up for Jeddah had the two tires on the right of the car with most wear. Thing is, Jeddah had the c2 tire as the hardest. Australia will have the c3 tire as the hardest. Many teams ran 40 plus laps on either the mediums or hards at Jeddah. Last year in Australia Pirelli ran the c2 as the hardest, this was before Pirelli switched to a harder series of tires. So you can presume the 2024 c3 is equivalent to the 2023 c2. Last year everyone would have gone on a single pitstop if the race wouldn't have been red flagged with 2 laps to go. Many teams, again ran 40 plus laps on the hards. Remember Alonso chasing Hamilton hoping Hamilton's tires would wear out and it never materialized?
Spain will use the c1 tire as the hardest and traditionally been a two stopped. So very different from tire perspective with many off throttle long corners.
We'll see the Pirelli tire analysis for Australia soon.

https://press.pirelli.com/pirelli-nomin ... t-of-2024/
Last edited by diffuser on 17 Mar 2024, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.

Vanja #66

peewon wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 20:15
If you compare the first stints of RB19 and AMR24 in Bahrain, I would seem that the RB19 was probably quicker on average lap times. Not taking into account any difference in track conditions over the two years. Its also hard to nail down the absolute peak performance of the RBs because they definitely coast when leading comfortably.
Both in Jeddah and Bahrain Q, AMR24 was a good few tenths quicker than RB19 and Alonso is not considered as the ultimate qualifier...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

Could we talk about what we know? I mean why the hell Aston couldn't warm up the tyres with heavy car? I would think they shot the tyres ,but no! They couldn't bring temperature inside.

peewon

Vanja #66 wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 13:20
peewon wrote:
If you compare the first stints of RB19 and AMR24 in Bahrain, I would seem that the RB19 was probably quicker on average lap times. Not taking into account any difference in track conditions over the two years. Its also hard to nail down the absolute peak performance of the RBs because they definitely coast when leading comfortably.
Both in Jeddah and Bahrain Q, AMR24 was a good few tenths quicker than RB19 and Alonso is not considered as the ultimate qualifier...
Yes, the caveat being AMR 24 is distinctly better on low fuel. I would still prefer a car that's efficient over a wider operating window of ride heights and easier on tiresthough.

diffuser

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 15:35
Could we talk about what we know? I mean why the hell Aston couldn't warm up the tyres with heavy car? I would think they shot the tyres ,but no! They couldn't bring temperature inside.
Not sure what you're talking about.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 16:43
Vanja #66 wrote:
peewon wrote:
Yes, the caveat being AMR 24 is distinctly better on low fuel. I would still prefer a car that's efficient over a wider operating window of ride heights and easier on tiresthough.
If I understand what you're trying to say is....whatever the ride height, you'd like the same DF over the whole range of the suspension travel?

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

diffuser wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 20:21
OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
I don't know who said they have tyre degradation problems,but is not true is just all rumors! If they would have worse tyre degradation than Mercedes, then Alonso couldn't keep behind and be fast as Russell on the 43 lap old tyres. What is fact, that Alonso and Stroll couldn't bring heat in the tyres with heavy car.They was complaining about the tyres ice cold, even they pushing like crazy. Aston slow with heavy car,because tyre temperature and not because they killing it. As soon as the car get lighter and faster they put more stess in the tyres because can drive more aggressive in the corners so get warmer easier.

xReVo
xReVo

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 23:49
diffuser wrote:
OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
I don't know who said they have tyre degradation problems,but is not true is just all rumors! If they would have worse tyre degradation than Mercedes, then Alonso couldn't keep behind and be fast as Russell on the 43 lap old tyres. What is fact, that Alonso and Stroll couldn't bring heat in the tyres with heavy car.They was complaining about the tyres ice cold, even they pushing like crazy. Aston slow with heavy car,because tyre temperature and not because they killing it. As soon as the car get lighter and faster they put more stess in the tyres because can drive more aggressive in the corners so get warmer easier.
Exactly, Aston doesn't eat tires. It simply has no pace with a full tank. This could be a big problem, because the other teams could improve in qualifying and also take away the only strong point we have this year. From what I understand, Aston Martin's problem is linked to the front suspension which does not work well with the rear one. The latter works well but makes the front one work poorly. Unfortunately, these problems (as also happened to Ferrari) cannot be resolved during the current season.

diffuser

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 23:49
diffuser wrote:
OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
I never heard Alonso complain about cold tires. Also Jeddah is a low deg track. So it is no wonder they didn't have deg issues.

peewon

diffuser wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 20:26
peewon wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

If I understand what you're trying to say is....whatever the ride height, you'd like the same DF over the whole range of the suspension travel?
No, I meant that even if AMR 24 is quicker by a couple of tenths in low fuel, quali trim, I'd rather have the RB19 which is faster on race pace by being better on tyres and is outright faster on heavier fuel loads.

To put it in other words, if AMR24 and RB 19 were to somehow compete over an entire championship season, I'd pick the RB19 to win.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 02:27
diffuser wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 20:26
peewon wrote:

No, I meant that even if AMR 24 is quicker by a couple of tenths in low fuel, quali trim, I'd rather have the RB19 which is faster on race pace by being better on tyres and is outright faster on heavier fuel loads.

To put it in other words, if AMR24 and RB 19 were to somehow compete over an entire championship season, I'd pick the RB19 to win.
Kind of a weird comparison. The Rb19 in 2023 is a known quantity but the AMR24's trajectory is unknown. AMR need to have this heavy on fuel pace issue thing figured out soon.