2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

deadhead wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 22:58
SoulPancake13 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 22:39
Again, looking at the last stint, I think Ferrari go too conservative with Charles. That's 3 out of 4 races that it feels like the tyre wasn't totally used to perfection.
To me it looked like they maxed out the medium tire and maybe even overdid it somewhat, so you are right if they missed out on anything it would be the last stint on hards but can't be all that much left in it, from LEC's perspective anyway.
In retrospect, Charles shouldn't have fought the Checo move that hard. The mistake at Degna 2 cost him 3 seconds, he said tyres felt totally fine before that and would have come back into the window. Still, can't really complain about that stint. Stint 3 was just over managed, the team was on the radio berating him about tyre saving because they thought the hards were awful.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

dia6olo wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 23:01
I think Ferrari are a lot closer to Red Bull than it looks, for me they are being conservative and it's flattering Red Bulls advantage especially the gap over the opening two races.
They look to me like they are still finding their feet with their car, in particular with how it uses the tyres.
When they figure them out they will be a lot closer even without an upgrade.

Also a good chunk of Red Bulls advantage is down to driving in clean air.
If we take the gap in the race as the real gap anyways, that is 0.3-0.4 off per lap on a circuit where Red Bull were untouchable only 6 months ago, a second faster than us in the race practically. Amazing job done by the team.

dialtone
dialtone

SoulPancake13 wrote:
deadhead wrote:
SoulPancake13 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 22:39
Again, looking at the last stint, I think Ferrari go too conservative with Charles. That's 3 out of 4 races that it feels like the tyre wasn't totally used to perfection.
To me it looked like they maxed out the medium tire and maybe even overdid it somewhat, so you are right if they missed out on anything it would be the last stint on hards but can't be all that much left in it, from LEC's perspective anyway.
In retrospect, Charles shouldn't have fought the Checo move that hard. The mistake at Degna 2 cost him 3 seconds, he said tyres felt totally fine before that and would have come back into the window. Still, can't really complain about that stint. Stint 3 was just over managed, the team was on the radio berating him about tyre saving because they thought the hards were awful.
They really have to stop looking at Mercedes to compare tire performance and instead have to find a better comparison or model Mercedes tire wear better.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SoulPancake13 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 23:02
In retrospect, Charles shouldn't have fought the Checo move that hard. The mistake at Degna 2 cost him 3 seconds, he said tyres felt totally fine before that and would have come back into the window.
Is this from a specific interview?

Anyway, it's a bit weird. Imola '22, Singapore '22, Japan '22, Las Vegas '23, Japan '24. He always has these incidents of going off the track chased by Perez specifically. Imola was the other way around, but you get the point.

Leclerc has been hassled by many other drivers before and has been relatively stable, but there's always something going on when Perez is there. It's odd.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 07 Apr 2024, 23:15, edited 4 times in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 23:05
SoulPancake13 wrote:
deadhead wrote:

They really have to stop looking at Mercedes to compare tire performance and instead have to find a better comparison or model Mercedes tire wear better.
It wasn't just Mercedes that was garbage on them. It was also Mclaren.

It was later pointed out that the hard tires only started working because of the cloud cover. They were in fact garbage before the cloud cover.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 23:08
SoulPancake13 wrote:
In retrospect, Charles shouldn't have fought the Checo move that hard. The mistake at Degna 2 cost him 3 seconds, he said tyres felt totally fine before that and would have come back into the window.

Anyway, it's a bit weird. Imola '22, Singapore '22, Japan '22, Las Vegas '23, Japan '24. He always has these incidents of going off the track chased by Perez specifically.
I believe he said it on the radio, let me check to confirm as this is what I heard from someone else.

Regarding Checo, it might be that Charles backs himself to get the position over him more than others? Maybe he just plays it riskier? Not sure.

Just looked at the radio: Charles says after Spoon on lap 26 that his tyres would recover and he could do more laps.
Last edited by SoulPancake13 on 07 Apr 2024, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3-GP wrote:
SoulPancake13 wrote:

Anyway, it's a bit weird. Imola '22, Singapore '22, Japan '22, Las Vegas '23, Japan '24. He always has these incidents of going off the track chased by Perez specifically. Imola was the other way around, but you get the point.

Leclerc has been hassled by many other drivers before and has been relatively stable, but there's always something going on when Perez is there. It's odd.
Singapore?

The tyres were still good, but Norris would have closed the gap fast behind, as he was 0.4ish s per lap quicker, so he would have gotten in undercut range in 2-3 laps. They also made the right call pitting him after the mistake, so he kept the track position on Norris.

The last stint was just over managed, agreed. It's easy to see the pattern looking at lap times. Just too conservative.

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

AR3-GP wrote:
SoulPancake13 wrote:

It is not that deep. Leclerc is usually the one taking the battle to Redbull and their pace advantage in the last few years has meant that Max has mostly been out of reach. He ends up battling Checo with mostly a tyre disadvantage and has had a couple of issues. He has managed to beat him a bunch of times too, like Abu Dhabi 22, 23 and even the vegas race you mentioned. So not much to read into :)

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Xyz22 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 23:21
AR3-GP wrote:
SoulPancake13 wrote:

Singapore?

The tyres were still good, but Norris would have closed the gap fast behind, as he was 0.4ish s per lap quicker, so he would have gotten in undercut range in 2-3 laps. They also made the right call pitting him after the mistake, so he kept the track position on Norris.

The last stint was just over managed, agreed. It's easy to see the pattern looking at lap times. Just too conservative.
I think it's a syndrome of the car last year. The low fuel stints were garbage, team is over cautious of this. I feel like a low fuel race sim where they push from lap 1 is needed to just judge the tyres again, seems like setup made a step forward from Jeddah.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sphere3758 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 23:30
AR3-GP wrote:
SoulPancake13 wrote:

It is not that deep. Leclerc is usually the one taking the battle to Redbull and their pace advantage in the last few years has meant that Max has mostly been out of reach.
Perez is not the only person that Leclerc has had to race again. I remember a few races where he had to defend from Hamilton and some other drivers and he did so with no mistakes. It could just be coincidence. I don't know.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Xyz22 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
SoulPancake13 wrote:

Singapore?

Regarding Singapore '22, I got it backwards. The remaining time was 18:12 in the race (timed race) where he ran ride on a corner when he was putting pressure on Perez. I don't know the corner numbers of that awful track :lol: I know I look silly for remembering this :lol:

Of course ever driver makes mistakes includig Verstappen. I just thought it was a funny coincidence that so many for Leclerc involve the Czech :lol:

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 23:43
Xyz22 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Singapore?

Regarding Singapore '22, I got it backwards. The remaining time was 18:12 in the race (timed race) where he ran ride on a corner when he was putting pressure on Perez. I don't know the corner numbers of that awful track :lol: I know I look silly for remembering this :lol: I'm not making a big deal of it, just checking that I'm not crazy.

Of course ever driver makes mistakes includig Verstappen. I just thought it was a funny coincidence that so many for Leclerc involve the Czech :lol:
Yeah, i remember that race. Leclerc was in massive overdrive to keep up with the RB18 which had such a far superior balance.

So i think Leclerc will be back in Maranello this week to analyze the issue with the outlap. Hopefully he will find whatever he is doing wrong in order to arrive more prepared for Shangai
Last edited by Xyz22 on 08 Apr 2024, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Does anyone know why Leclerc is always tapping or dragging the throttle a little bit in the corners? Is this to turn the car or something? I have been able to see this "technique" in the f1-tempo telemetry and it started a few races into the Sauber '18 season (you can see it in Austria) and shows up in every season since then pretty much constantly. I think I asked this once, 1-2 years ago and thought it was related specifically to driving one of the bad Ferrari cars, but it's there with the F1-75, the Sauber, and the SF24.

For comparison, I noticed that both Sainz and Verstappen don't do it at all (and Leclerc actually used the throttle pedal just like them in his first couple of races for Sauber before changing to this technique). Sometimes he is even hanging the throttle open at over 30-40% where Verstappen or Sainz are at 0%. I don't believe it is a data glitch since it is present consistently across multiple seasons.

Last edited by AR3-GP on 08 Apr 2024, 00:29, edited 2 times in total.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 00:10
Does anyone know why Leclerc is always tapping or dragging the throttle a little bit in the corners? Is this to turn the car or something? I have been able to see this "technique" in the f1-tempo telemetry and it started a few races into the Sauber '18 season (you can see it in Austria) and shows up in every season since then pretty much constantly. I think I asked this once, 1-2 years ago and thought it was related specifically to driving one of the bad Ferrari cars, but it's there with the F1-75, the Sauber, and the SF24.

For comparison, I noticed that both Sainz and Verstappen don't do it at all (and Leclerc actually used the throttle pedal just like them in his first couple of races for Sauber before changing to this technique). Sometimes he is even hanging the throttle open at over 30-40% where Verstappen or Sainz are at 0%. I don't believe it is a data glitch since it is present consistently across multiple seasons.

https://i.postimg.cc/YS5LcSYd/image.png

https://i.postimg.cc/hjmyghwv/image.png

https://i.postimg.cc/636Jprrq/image.png
From my understanding, it is the way Charles prefers to control the rears, by applying some throttle he helps the rears rotate and it helps to cope with his more oversteery setups.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The first two charts were mislabeled as Japan but they are from Australia '24, not Japan, sorry. It is fixed.