2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Emag wrote:
04 May 2024, 19:09
mwillems wrote:
04 May 2024, 18:47
Emag wrote:
04 May 2024, 18:42

Difference was probably bigger than that. Especially on the long run where Oscar tends to drift away from Lando usually.
I think you are a glass half full today :D

Hopefully it's a 1-2 in Qualifying and the race tomorrow... :mrgreen: If not we will learn some more about how the tyres work with Oscar, Lando and the conditions and how much pace on the straights the car has to get past folks.

Oscar got plenty of Data for the team today, which is good, and will help us understand how better to set the car up for Qualifying.
It's not unreasonable. Lando has been on average 0.3s per lap faster than Oscar come race day. Add some more on top of that because of the upgrade, that easily puts him on Lec/Ver pace today. If not faster. They got screwed over big time by the starting position. Lando should have had pace to fight in the front today. Deg wasn't as bad as I expected.
Yup, I confirm that.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Oscar's pace was very stable.

Darth-Piekus

SilviuAgo wrote:
04 May 2024, 20:17
bauc wrote:
04 May 2024, 20:11
Darth-Piekus wrote:
04 May 2024, 20:09
That is why we must be a pole position team as fast as possible to avoid that midfield and we have to stop screwing Qualifications.
We need to quali good today, otherwise we will get stuck in traffic again tomorrow
This is a valid point. Not only that you avoid some collateral damage as we saw earlier on Sprint Race but you have a good chance not only for the podium but also for the win. Max win was not convincing and based on what we saw yesterday in Sq1 and Sq2 Lando may have a chance for P1.
If you look at Red Bull they are almost perfect in everything even on days when everything isn't going well as Mercedes was in their domination years before. We keep hearing from the officials on the team how much they want to be on top but all I see is the team screwing their chances everytime they are close to the top. Either it's the tyres or Lando's mistakes, botched pit stops or some random problem. It's been more than a decade of those continuing mistakes and this has to stop.

f1isgood
f1isgood

Darth-Piekus wrote:
04 May 2024, 20:42
SilviuAgo wrote:
04 May 2024, 20:17
bauc wrote:
04 May 2024, 20:11

We need to quali good today, otherwise we will get stuck in traffic again tomorrow
This is a valid point. Not only that you avoid some collateral damage as we saw earlier on Sprint Race but you have a good chance not only for the podium but also for the win. Max win was not convincing and based on what we saw yesterday in Sq1 and Sq2 Lando may have a chance for P1.
If you look at Red Bull they are almost perfect in everything even on days when everything isn't going well as Mercedes was in their domination years before. We keep hearing from the officials on the team how much they want to be on top but all I see is the team screwing their chances everytime they are close to the top. Either it's the tyres or Lando's mistakes, botched pit stops or some random problem. It's been more than a decade of those continuing mistakes and this has to stop.
Red Bull are operationally likely the best team ever in F1; Mercedes lost races many times thanks to the same reasons you list, Lewis would just be off pace, or they would botch a pitstop or strategy or whatever. That didn't stop Merc from dominating. Fundamentally the goal should be to make a car quicker than everyone else, then most issues are solved.

McLaren will be one of the teams capable of doing that at least 2026 imo. More stability than Red Bull, seem to get these regulations comapred to Mercedes, probably on par with SF on an upward trajectory.

Darth-Piekus

f1isgood wrote:
04 May 2024, 20:51

McLaren will be one of the teams capable of doing that at least 2026 imo. More stability than Red Bull, seem to get these regulations comapred to Mercedes, probably on par with SF on an upward trajectory.
Debatable if Red Bull was the best team in F1. Mclaren Honda of the 80s and Williams of the 90s was also perfect and Ferrari of the 2000s. If you think Red Bull wasn't that perfect before 2021. They also made mistakes. But I dont think we should look at the other teams. We should look at what we do and in my opinion it's unnaceptable to have the best car for even one GP and not maximising the results botching something fundamental. It's tiring to see Mclaren be the only team having fundamental problems that never happened before.

Anyway. I expect today to get pole with Oscar taking third place at worst. They have the car and they must deliver.

mwillems

Oscar keeping it under a tenth off Lando again, looking very good.

You can see the teams figuring out the best way to use these softs, being careful.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

We cant seem to be able to replicate yesterdays speed

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

We went 1:27:597 with medium yesterday. We seem to be slow on the softs.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

They need to ease into it. Everything looks under control so far.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Looks like new Big 3 is Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren. The pace they have on everyone else is massive.

CjC
CjC

Thought Lando might try a medium
Just a fan's point of view

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Norris out on used medium for the final Q2 run.

mwillems

Just getting info for Q3
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SilviuAgo

All good until now, as usual. Now the moment to focus on Q3.
Lando's lap on used Medium was only two tenths slower that his New Soft lap :o

organic

mwillems wrote:
04 May 2024, 22:40
Just getting info for Q3
Seeing if it's worth gambling on mediums for Q3? Haven't seen that done since Portimao 2021 (where it worked...)