2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xyz22
Xyz22

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

dia6olo wrote:
06 May 2024, 15:29
Calm down people, I am confident Ferrari will be back ahead of McLaren with their upgrade by as much as 2 tenths.
We may not see it instantly, it may require a race or two but when the dust settles I'm confident Ferrari will have a decent advantage on them.
I have no idea what Red Bull have planned in terms of upgrades over the coming races but if nothing I can even see Ferrari jumping Red Bull...
Rb underperformed in Miami like Ferrari undeperformed in China.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Sainz should not have still been racing with Piastri after he was blatantly, illegally pushed off. Is that sort of thing just allowed again now in F1? It was such a ridiculously textbook example of what you cant do, but they're just gonna allow it? And bellend Brundle was sitting there, "I dont see anything wrong with that" as well. What the hell is going on?

I cant believe what insane nonsense officiating this all was.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Silent Storm wrote:
06 May 2024, 09:34
Vanja #66 wrote:
06 May 2024, 09:21
Silent Storm wrote:
06 May 2024, 09:18
Take it easy... Not long ago FIA was called Ferrari International Assistance.
Yet no one could explain how exactly FIA assissted Ferrari. I guess making rule changes targeting their solutions helped them
Just going by what Adrian Newey said in his book...
In reality, however, Ferrari heard of our plans and complained.
Ferrari complaining was to become a recurring theme over the ensuing
years. If Ferrari didn’t like something (usually because they couldn’t get it to work for themselves), they complained to the FIA. Whether or not they were assured of a sympathetic ear is up for debate. I’m sure Max and Bernie would strenuously deny Ferrari were ever showed favouritism. Suffice to say, however, that it was around this time that those in the pit lane began to refer to the FIA as Ferrari International Aid. (It was years later, in 2015, that it emerged that Ferrari did indeed have a secret contract with the FIA that allowed them to veto any regulation changes – galling confirmation of a ‘special relationship’ that we always suspected but until then had never had confirmed.)
Literally every team does this.

bananapeel23

Xyz22 wrote:
06 May 2024, 15:08
Our situation has been heavily compromised by the insane decision of sticking with the F1 75 concept after the TD039 and the aero changes for 2023.

Let's see what they will be able to bring in Imola.
I wouldn't call it insane. The issue after TD039 wasn't really that the car was slow or anything. It was still the fastest car in quali, which implies that the concept was still sound assuming they could get the tyre munching under control. If they thought that they could get the tyre wear under control, it made sense that they stuck to it. The issue is that they never did get it under control.

The F1-75 concept did have some serious advantages over the RB18. Unless they already knew the concept was absolutely reliant on floor flexing to be competitive, they were right to stick with it initially.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

Seanspeed wrote:Sainz should not have still been racing with Piastri after he was blatantly, illegally pushed off. Is that sort of thing just allowed again now in F1? It was such a ridiculously textbook example of what you cant do, but they're just gonna allow it? And bellend Brundle was sitting there, "I dont see anything wrong with that" as well. What the hell is going on?

Yeah, people love complaining about dirty air making it hard to overtake, but modern defensive standards are just as big of an offender. Defense nowadays boils down to “take the inside line and run people off the track”. The rules basically force all overtakes to be made in braking zones, otherwise the defender can just claim that it’s his corner as he’s ahead at the apex.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
06 May 2024, 15:49
Seanspeed wrote:Sainz should not have still been racing with Piastri after he was blatantly, illegally pushed off. Is that sort of thing just allowed again now in F1? It was such a ridiculously textbook example of what you cant do, but they're just gonna allow it? And bellend Brundle was sitting there, "I dont see anything wrong with that" as well. What the hell is going on?

Yeah, people love complaining about dirty air making it hard to overtake, but modern defensive standards are just as big of an offender. Defense nowadays boils down to “take the inside line and run people off the track”. The rules basically force all overtakes to be made in braking zones, otherwise the defender can just claim that it’s his corner as he’s ahead at the apex.
I mean, the rules explicitly state that you're not allowed to push other people off track. Sainz was ahead going into the corner and clearly earned the right to room.

It was blatantly illegal and the stewards just decided they are going to let drivers do it. Or at least some drivers...

dia6olo
dia6olo

Xyz22 wrote:
06 May 2024, 15:33
dia6olo wrote:
06 May 2024, 15:29
Calm down people, I am confident Ferrari will be back ahead of McLaren with their upgrade by as much as 2 tenths.
We may not see it instantly, it may require a race or two but when the dust settles I'm confident Ferrari will have a decent advantage on them.
I have no idea what Red Bull have planned in terms of upgrades over the coming races but if nothing I can even see Ferrari jumping Red Bull...
I have no doubt Red Bull under performed in Miami.
I think as is Red Bull are about 3/3.5 tenths ahead of Ferrari over the entire season, however, ignoring Miami the current gap numbers have come from the opening 5 races in cooler temperatures which haven't exactly favoured Ferrari, in warmer climate I could see those numbers coming down to 2/2.5 tenths maybe even less.
If Red Bull don't have an upgrade planned over the next 2 or 3 races and the Ferrari one works, there's no reason why they can't jump Red Bull. There has been talk of of a gain of 2/2.5 tenths for the package, with the size of the package being talked about there is also no reason why it couldn't be a 3/4 tenth gain...
Last edited by dia6olo on 06 May 2024, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

Vanja #66

Xyz22 wrote:
Australia may have been a bug at first look, but with Miami pace also lacking I see it as a feature. With low-level wing on low-mid tracks RB was not convincing at all. What's more, Miami has a very smooth surface which should have worked in RB's favour. They had balance issues on both tracks, so I'm not convinced it was an off-day again - especially since the same happens after their Japan upgrade package.

They will be the strongest team again in Imola, no doubt. RB will have their upgrades too and Ferrari might get a bit closer if their upgrades work as they should, but if they somehow get the pole it will be a big, big result. They've lost at least 6 months in 2022/2023 changes and it's not an easy task to make up so much time in one season. The realistic goal for the season will be WCC P2, maybe another WDC P2 if Perez slumps at one point (there's nothing close to a slump so far) and to get as many wins as possible. With Max staying in RB next year, both WDC and both WCC titles are absolutely theirs to lose
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

Seanspeed wrote:
CouncilorIrissa wrote:

I mean, the rules explicitly state that you're not allowed to push other people off track. Sainz was ahead going into the corner and clearly earned the right to room.

It was blatantly illegal and the stewards just decided they are going to let drivers do it. Or at least some drivers...
The racing guidelines apparently state that a car on the outside is entitled to space when being "significantly alongside”. When determining what constitutes being significantly alongside, the “stewards will consider if the overtaking car is ahead of the other car at the apex”.

I totally agree that this is BS, but that’s how it is.

deadhead

jambuka wrote:
06 May 2024, 05:42
What was concerning was that both Ferrari pilots were not able to overtake Mclaren with DRS. Sainz had to dive so hard, he almost crashed. Has Mclaren improved their straight line speed so much ? Has Ferrari gone backwards with their aero ?
Seems like they now have less drag and will probably be a factor for the remainder of the season.

hape
hape

Seanspeed wrote:
06 May 2024, 15:52
CouncilorIrissa wrote:

I don't know if Sainz was ahead the moment going into the corner and to me thats not relevant either. Its the moment Sainz started breaking and its clear Piastri moved inside breaking later, way too late, he even couldn't make the corner with all four wheels on track himself. Let alone some space for Sainz. It was a dive bomb forcing another driver off track.
The penalty for Sainz later in the race is just a bad joke. There was so much space between both cars but it was Piastri turning in like there was no Sainz next to him. There was a cars width space left for him on the outside of the whole corner.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Vanja #66 wrote:
06 May 2024, 16:03
Xyz22 wrote:
Australia may have been a bug at first look, but with Miami pace also lacking I see it as a feature. With low-level wing on low-mid tracks RB was not convincing at all. What's more, Miami has a very smooth surface which should have worked in RB's favour. They had balance issues on both tracks, so I'm not convinced it was an off-day again - especially since the same happens after their Japan upgrade package.

They will be the strongest team again in Imola, no doubt. RB will have their upgrades too and Ferrari might get a bit closer if their upgrades work as they should, but if they somehow get the pole it will be a big, big result. They've lost at least 6 months in 2022/2023 changes and it's not an easy task to make up so much time in one season. The realistic goal for the season will be WCC P2, maybe another WDC P2 if Perez slumps at one point (there's nothing close to a slump so far) and to get as many wins as possible. With Max staying in RB next year, both WDC and both WCC titles are absolutely theirs to lose
I agree with you. I'd like to add that a 6 months deficit is quite an optimistic view though :D

Waz
Waz

That Sainz / Piastri incident was about the most racing incident like of all racing incidents.

Hard braking by both, the rear snaps slightly on one car as the other starts turning in.

I genuinely don't understand the penalties anymore.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Why did Leclerc allow Piastri to go through without any fight? Bizarre. Leclerc lost the race right there. Even if Ferrari wasn't the fastest car, there was a massive opportunity yesterday. Sainz would have never let Piastri past.

AmateurDriver
AmateurDriver

Vanja #66 wrote:
06 May 2024, 15:03
CouncilorIrissa wrote:
06 May 2024, 14:39
MCL's upgrade is worth 4 tenths according to formu1a.uno

The reports about Imola upgrade being worth only 0.25 better be a very low-ball estimate.
I expected them to start the season ahead of Ferrari, but they postponed this upgrade set to extract the most of it. It's not surprising. There will be 3-way battles on more than a few races this year, delicious :)
It depends on who is the third one that joins the battles the least of the times...