2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Luscion
Luscion

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Slahinki
Slahinki

As expected then.

chrisgr
chrisgr

Imagine what will happen if we manage to solve our slow corners problem :P (ok I know, other teams also bring upgrades).

Darth-Piekus

No harm done. Oscar has a job to do and that pass the two Ferraris as quick as possible. Lando has the most important job tomorrow. To beat Max Verstappen back to back without a SC so he can silence the neighsayers about Miami. So Lando I hope you pressure him to make him crack.

mwillems

Oscar is in learning stage still, it won't do him harm to have a fight with the Ferraris and continue to ensure he keeps the tyres in check.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
18 May 2024, 17:35
If it were that good it would be on pole.
Not sure if the Mclarens had a tow but the tow Verstappen got massively aided him to achieve pole.

Not taking anything away from Max here…. It was definitely a Max pole rather than Trd Bull pole. Just look at Perez…
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
18 May 2024, 19:31
Oscar is in learning stage still, it won't do him harm to have a fight with the Ferraris and continue to ensure he keeps the tyres in check.
If Miami is anything to go by he’ll be past the Ferraris by lap 4 :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

Darth-Piekus

So far Red Bull has brought a smaller package in Japan and a bigger one here they stayed almost the same. Ferrari got something small in Japan also and a bigger one here and they gained a little. Aston Martin brought two big packages and gone backwards. Mercedes had a small upgrade and two semi upgrades for Miami and Imola and gone slightly in front. Mclaren had a B-Spec car in Miami and so far it seems to have done a much better job than the rest surpassing the distance it had from Ferrari and surpassing them and then nullified the distance from the fastest Red Bull. Mclaren has done two miracles in a row.

Regarding drivers I think that the top 3 drivers are equal in skill but the TOW made the difference today. The technicians of Red Bull managed to fix whatever the car had otherwise I don't think Max would have managed it. He did a great job though.

geogate
geogate

sorry for Oscar, entirely a team mistake by the sounds of it - Mclaren are still learning to be a front running team. Perhaps an opportunity fr a different strategy though, probably attempt an overcut again

Macklaren
Macklaren

Stallard will be kicking himself for this penalty. Tough to pass on this track esp with Ferrari race pace, but we have decent top speed for a change. Also puts Lando on the dirty side

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

LionsHeart wrote:
18 May 2024, 19:04
FittingMechanics wrote:
18 May 2024, 18:29
I'm puzzled why did MAG give tow to VER?
This is Hulkenberg. In the first and second segments, Max gave a slipstream to Niko, but in the third segment, Niko returned the favor.
Wow, if this was a deal between the two. very surprising but a great idea.

mwillems

CjC wrote:
18 May 2024, 19:37
mwillems wrote:
18 May 2024, 17:35
If it were that good it would be on pole.
Not sure if the Mclarens had a tow but the tow Verstappen got massively aided him to achieve pole.

Not taking anything away from Max here…. It was definitely a Max pole rather than Trd Bull pole. Just look at Perez…
Oh we were certainly fast today and could have had pole, I don't doubt that. I just push back on the idea that the poster said that we have the fastest car in F1 right now. Aside from the fact we need more tracks to see what the car can do, we struggled on softs in Sprint Qual and Proper Qual in Miami and we got the win in Miami through some luck, even being faster in the race wouldn't have been enough because the difference wasn't big enough. But we deserved it because we put ourselves in the position to take advantage of the SC. I look at Max' pole the same way because you have to be even handed with those views in my opinion. He got some luck but he deserved it and we clearly have some more work to do if we want to be regularly on top of the Red Bull.

But that isn't to take away from the job the team have done, we certainly look as capable as the Red Bull overall, and we have a good chance at winning tomorrow on merit.

-Bandit

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
18 May 2024, 19:53
LionsHeart wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:
18 May 2024, 18:29
I'm puzzled why did MAG give tow to VER?
This is Hulkenberg. In the first and second segments, Max gave a slipstream to Niko, but in the third segment, Niko returned the favor.
I didn't see a tow on Hulks lap but I may have missed it, I'm looking forward to seeing if that happened because if it did, it doesn't feel right at all.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
18 May 2024, 19:59
FittingMechanics wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

I didn't see a tow on Hulks lap but I may have missed it, I'm looking forward to seeing if that happened because if it did, it doesn't feel right at all.
Max received a boost of 0.15 seconds only on a straight line. Then he moved away a little, then gradually lost in relation to Oscar. At the exit of turn 18, Max lost a lot. The comparative video shows very clearly that Red Bull is strong at the entrance to turns, but loses strength at the exit of the turns in relation to McLaren. Once again it is clearly visible that McLaren is top in corner exit. Traction is very powerful.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
18 May 2024, 20:33
mwillems wrote:
18 May 2024, 19:59
FittingMechanics wrote:

Max received a boost of 0.15 seconds only on a straight line. Then he moved away a little, then gradually lost in relation to Oscar. At the exit of turn 18, Max lost a lot. The comparative video shows very clearly that Red Bull is strong at the entrance to turns, but loses strength at the exit of the turns in relation to McLaren. Once again it is clearly visible that McLaren is top in corner exit. Traction is very powerful.
I saw Max's tow from Hulk and spoken about it, same with Max's mistakes. I'm talking about Hulks tow from Max that I didn't see.

-Bandit