2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

No clue what to make of Monaco. I am inclined to think it's not gonna be a favorable track, but they have done well there in the past with weaker cars. It's all about quali there and Ferrari is struggling a bit to get it together in qualifying.

Darth-Piekus

We need some more upgrades. Something to give the car the upper hand

Xero

Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 May 2024, 16:51
Do you think Red Bull as a car still have a slight advantage over Mclaren in race pace or is it to the tyre strategy? I have a feeling that if Norris was in 1st in clear air we could have had a different game.
Still too early to tell, but it's tight either way. Red Bull certainly looking far from bullet proof at this point.

Xero

Emag wrote:
19 May 2024, 16:56
No clue what to make of Monaco. I am inclined to think it's not gonna be a favorable track, but they have done well there in the past with weaker cars. It's all about quali there and Ferrari is struggling a bit to get it together in qualifying.
Definitely favours Red Bull historically, but McLaren were still on the back foot there last season, far too much has changed to even guess at this point. I'm like you, not a clue.

mwillems

Red Bull is the benchmark. We've gained a lot of ground but we aren't quite there yet. A better Saturday and it might have been a different story.

We are on a par with them though I think.
Last edited by mwillems on 19 May 2024, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

bananapeel23

Emag wrote:
Ferrari only struggles when they struggle to get heat into the tyres. With the Monaco tyre range being C3-C5 and deg being pretty much a non-issue since track position is king, Ferrari could attempt to sacrifice tyre wear for quali pace in order to mitigate that issue.

Still I believe Red Bull to be the favourites in Monaco, with Ferrari 2nd and McLaren 3rd, although I could see Leclerc squeezing everything and a bit more out of that Ferrari in Monaco given how well he has done there before, especially in 2021 (with firmly the 3rd best car) and 2022, where he was up something like 6 tenths on his own time by the swimming pool chicane when the red flag came out.

CjC
CjC

FittingMechanics wrote:
19 May 2024, 16:30
Oh man, so close.

Great job by everyone. The car is fast, if only we qualified ahead of VER.
Yea I think we would have celebrated another win here if it was a McLaren front row.
Max won pole and won the race today.

Mclaren are fast now. Bring em on💪🏻
Just a fan's point of view

Darth-Piekus

mwillems wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:08
Red Bull is the benchmark. We've gained a lot of ground but we aren't quite there yet. A better Saturday and it might have been a different story.

Is it Max or is it the car though? What I mean is that is the 100% of the Red Bull car still a tiny bit faster than the 100% Mclaren?

Generally whoever came on pole here would have the upper hand due to the clean air and clean side start.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Interesting....Charles pointing out an engine/energy deficit to Merc and RBR rather than chassis. first time I've heard that

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

mwillems wrote:

McLaren are within touching distance from Redbull as things stand.

Monaco is won and lost in qualifying or mistakes in the race. Or rain makes it interesting.

Shader

McLaren is finally able to compete at the top on pure pace. It hasn't been like that since old McLaren Mercedes era. Massive job by the team. I am so happy and excited 😁🧡

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:22
mwillems wrote:

Is it Max or is it the car though? What I mean is that is the 100% of the Red Bull car still a tiny bit faster than the 100% Mclaren?

Generally whoever came on pole here would have the upper hand due to the clean air and clean side start.
You're as good as your fastest car. Lando, for me, is up there on a Sunday in any case.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

bananapeel23 wrote:
Emag wrote:
Ferrari only struggles when they struggle to get heat into the tyres. With the Monaco tyre range being C3-C5 and deg being pretty much a non-issue since track position is king, Ferrari could attempt to sacrifice tyre wear for quali pace in order to mitigate that issue.

Still I believe Red Bull to be the favourites in Monaco, with Ferrari 2nd and McLaren 3rd, although I could see Leclerc squeezing everything and a bit more out of that Ferrari in Monaco given how well he has done there before, especially in 2021 (with firmly the 3rd best car) and 2022, where he was up something like 6 tenths on his own time by the swimming pool chicane when the red flag came out.
I think the same. We've enjoyed having the upper hand on Ferrari since China, but Monaco is a weird track and I think rival's cars are suited better there. Might miss the podium but you can't expect to always be there when things are so tight.

chrisgr
chrisgr

Monaco is a race of its own category. Leclerc is always very good there. All I want for Monaco is a red and white livery!!

Darth-Piekus

Monaco could be a good chance for a win if we manage to tune up the upgrade a little more and bring a White and Red Livery. Though I wonder why didn't we do that on Imola instead of Monaco?