2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Xyz22 wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:47
Leclerc didn't back off at all (outside the last 2 laps). Norris started lapping in 20.1 and even did a 19.9. He was in another league.
So are we thinking he pushed on Hards from start to finish and had the same pace and deg as Max? It's positive in any case, either they are pushing to the limit and avoiding deg "advantage" where it's not an advantage. Or Leclerc had even more pace but backed off. Seeing the charts, I think it's the first case, he really didn't lose any time to Max after going off
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 May 2024, 18:24
Xyz22 wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:47
Leclerc didn't back off at all (outside the last 2 laps). Norris started lapping in 20.1 and even did a 19.9. He was in another league.
So are we thinking he pushed on Hards from start to finish and had the same pace and deg as Max? It's positive in any case, either they are pushing to the limit and avoiding deg "advantage" where it's not an advantage. Or Leclerc had even more pace but backed off. Seeing the charts, I think it's the first case, he really didn't lose any time to Max after going off
RB was not great with the hards. I think Ferrari was slightly better and McL was just super super strong.

f1Follower
f1Follower

All in all, it seems like McL has progressed drastically and we have although not at a level to beat RB and now will have to fight McL for 2nd spot in Constructors. We still need to fine tune the updates and understand why we are still draggy in the straights. It will be detrimental on tracks with 2 - 3 DRS zones. We still need an upgrade to up the ante to beat both RB and MCL. In a way its good as it shows we need engineer like Adrian Newey and this way we will ensure we go hard for him and with Lewis next year and upcoming regulation changes we need the legendary engineer.

It's difficult for him to go anyone other than Ferrari. MCL seems does not need him as their current team structure allows them to be at a level with RB and they would not want to disturb the team harmony. Williams are no force and even with Newey they will need another 3-4 years which I don't think Newey would like to spend to come back to top. Mercedes and Aston also may not appeal to him which leaves only Ferrari who are waiting for him.

Post July after the Hyper Car I think they will declare the movement as he is contractually still obligated to RB for the RB17 Hypercar project.

Vanja #66

Xyz22 wrote:
19 May 2024, 18:28
RB was not great with the hards. I think Ferrari was slightly better and McL was just super super strong.
Agreed. The overall pace improvement is "just" as much as expected, not more :)

#BlessYouLaddie

ferkan
ferkan

Its surprising how good Mclaren upgrades have been last 2 seasons.

That 2023 Austria upgrade was mega and then Miami one as well. They struggled alot with their straightline speed till Miami where they completely switched it up and now have no issues with it whatsoever.

In fact, they trimmed the RW and became even better in corners. Really brilliant job by them.

yooogurt

FORZA FERRARI!

LM10
LM10

dialtone wrote:
19 May 2024, 16:55
LM10 wrote:
Xyz22 wrote:
19 May 2024, 16:46
Kudos to McL and RB they were just quicker.

As usual we lost some performance relatively to the others on hards.
How so? Leclerc extended his gap to Piastri and was within DRS range of Norris coming from a 3-4 seconds gap. It was only after the little mistake driving on grass that he couldn’t keep the pace up anymore.
Yeah, overall pace of the car was strong in race. Fastest car at times and drove plenty of laps in dirty air of another car.

Even in the race s1 seemed poor and needed to find gains in the rest of the track. Nothing to complain about.

I’m also generally happy that Ferrari found correlation between the gains in the sim and in the race. Their tooling clearly is good this year.
Agreed.

Vanja #66

WCC points after the first 7 races:

2017 - 214

2022- 209

2024 - 212

Just for fun, last year team had only 100 points after 7 races... :cry:

Both drivers continuing very strong form, Sainz still yet to finish under P5 and Leclerc under P4 - despite a huge step McLaren made. Ferrari need 3-4 tenths from the next upgrade definitely if they want to challenge for wins, 2 tenths like this one won't cut it. They'd be smart to focus more on Q pace, track position will be the biggest factor until the end of this season most likely

#BlessYouLaddie

Emag
Emag

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 May 2024, 19:44
WCC points after the first 7 races:

2017 - 214

2022- 209

2024 - 212

Just for fun, last year team had only 100 points after 7 races... :cry:

Both drivers continuing very strong form, Sainz still yet to finish under P5 and Leclerc under P4 - despite a huge step McLaren made. Ferrari need 3-4 tenths from the next upgrade definitely if they want to challenge for wins, 2 tenths like this one won't cut it. They'd be smart to focus more on Q pace, track position will be the biggest factor until the end of this season most likely
Man, I remember how excited I was for the season when Ferrari unveiled the SF70H. An absolute beauty which holds a special place amongst Ferraris of recent memory for me. A shame Ferrari's power unit was not up to par with Mercedes in 2017. A car so beautiful with plenty of creative engineering deserved to have the championship that year.

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

Macklaren wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:27
Interesting....Charles pointing out an engine/energy deficit to McLaren and RBR rather than chassis. first time I've heard that
that can explain poor speed in the first sector, ferrari had to change PU for Lecler.

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

Fer.Fan wrote:
19 May 2024, 20:14
Macklaren wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:27
Interesting....Charles pointing out an engine/energy deficit to McLaren and RBR rather than chassis. first time I've heard that
that can explain poor speed in the first sector, ferrari had to change PU for Lecler.
Lecler:

"We lost everything in the straights, and they are doing something weird with the energy, engine-wise, McLaren and Red Bull," he said. “We’ve got to look into it, but nothing that isn't possible to change.

“So we’ll look into that, and once we fix that I think we’ve got a real shot of going back on the top step for the podium," he concluded.

Vanja #66

There was no PU issue or boost from Honda and Mercedes, Ferrari had more wing and more drag

#BlessYouLaddie

ing.

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 May 2024, 20:40
There was no PU issue or boost from Honda and Mercedes, Ferrari had more wing and more drag
Seemed to me—without benefit of access to data not—that LEC especially was stronger than McL at the end of the initial stint on (M)s and stressed his (H)s early in the 2nd stint to build a gap to PIA behind, as noted in some reports.

So the question is does Ferrari need the help of (inefficient) beam+RW DF to compensate a relative lack of underfloor DF to keep the tires from degrading? Or was this just a conservative choice in view of relatively few laps available in FPs?

ing.

Vanja #66 wrote:
Seemed to me—without benefit of access to detailed data—that LEC especially was stronger than McL at the end of the initial stint on (M)s but then stressed his (H)s early in the 2nd stint to build a gap to PIA behind, as noted in some reports.

So the question is does Ferrari need the help of (inefficient) beam+RW DF to compensate a relative lack of underfloor DF to keep the tires from degrading? Or was this just a conservative choice in view of relatively few laps available in FPs?

Xyz22
Xyz22

ing. wrote:
19 May 2024, 20:47
Vanja #66 wrote:
Seemed to me—without benefit of access to data not—that LEC especially was stronger than McL at the end of the initial stint on (M)s and stressed his (H)s early in the 2nd stint to build a gap to PIA behind, as noted in some reports.

Ferrari has been running pretty much the same setup (in terms of wings) since race 1, minus some changes to the beam wing. I doubt they are going for a "conservative" approach, just the best compromise based on data i would say. The chassis has currently more limitations than the competition, at least on these last few tracks, which is also to be expected considering the fact that Ferrari is like 6 months / 1 year behind in terms of development.