2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Now let's go get some great starting positions in Indy 500.

3 McLaren drivers in Fast 12.

Darth-Piekus

Luscion wrote:
19 May 2024, 20:51

Well those comments are wrong imo, Max himself said he was pushing the entire race in his interview after he got weighed
I know but it so pisses me off to see that. Max is a very good driver but he's no God and he will not be winning forever and some people can't stand to see a change to the status quo but it is inevitable. Every team and driver have their time but eventually they get replaced at some point.

When can we expect another good upgrade that will propel us forward?

Mansell89
Mansell89

Macklaren wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:25
Interesting....Charles pointing out an engine/energy deficit to Merc and RBR rather than chassis. first time I've heard that
Blimey, that is a new one- I had actually always felt that Ferrari may have had the edge on PU since last season having sorted reliability woes of 2022.

For a while I felt the Merc PU was marginally 3rd best since the new regs however it now seems clear that a lot of straight line speed is aero related - RBR had the best trade off for a while but our Miami upgrade has really helped.

As for Monaco- hard to say for sure but what we do know is this is the best car we’ve had there for 12 years, whether it’s suited to it is another thing entirely.

If I had to guess right now I’d say Ferrari might be very handy there but wouldn’t write anyone off for a one lap special, even Merc and Aston.

mwillems

Luscion wrote:
19 May 2024, 20:51
Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 May 2024, 20:49
t's a pity though. I've seen the comments on some channels and they greatly underestimating what Lando did today.
Well those comments are wrong imo, Max himself said he was pushing the entire race in his interview right after the race before the podium celebration
You could see that Max was suffering from deg due to pushing hard. The Mclaren had more life yet, quite a bit more, a few more laps and we might have done it. A different story on the mediums of course, where we couldn't get the same levels of performance. Obviously we are still getting a bit too much energy into the tyres.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Any ideas about more upgrades to give us the edge? We need all the help we can get.

_cerber1

Incredible tire control, the driver and team not only understand how to save their tires, but also know what consumption their opponents have and try to play on this. It is a pity that we were not able to fully implement this strategy.

McL-H
McL-H

The team has done an incredible job over the winter and during the start of the season. We can bring the fight to Red Bull and challenge them for the constructors championship. Still many races to go and our current deficit is not too big. Max is out of everyone’s league and will challenge us, but as long as Perez is not showing up we can win it.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Mansell89 wrote:
19 May 2024, 21:22
Macklaren wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:25
Interesting....Charles pointing out an engine/energy deficit to Merc and RBR rather than chassis. first time I've heard that
Blimey, that is a new one- I had actually always felt that Ferrari may have had the edge on PU since last season having sorted reliability woes of 2022.
Leclerc said McLaren and Red Bull are doing something with the energy on the straight. Don't think it means that they have more power, but maybe they utilize it differently.

Emag
Emag

Difficult to gauge performance in medium & low speed corners. Was looking at the telemetry of some laps, and at times Lando is gaining on those sections, and at times he loses out quite a bit to Leclerc. I guess it depends on tire condition and how well the driver is driving the lap, but in qualifying, both cars had the edge over Leclerc.

Just trying to get a small glimpse on what to expect from Monaco, but with setups being so much different is impossible to know what's gonna happen. A significant part of the track has corners at <100 kmh though. In Miami the car was surprisingly good in the slow section, but going by past references, it should be RedBull's and Ferrari's track on paper.

Rikhart
Rikhart

Piastri will win a proper race soon, he had a tremendous weekend, such a shame about the 3 place penalty.

bananapeel23

Cs98 wrote:
19 May 2024, 20:08
bananapeel23 wrote:
19 May 2024, 19:52
the EDGE wrote:
19 May 2024, 18:31

He’s only ever finished the race once, and it wasn’t on the podium
Because his brakes failing, his team forgetting to replace his left driveshaft after a crash and his team completely screwing up his strategy is totally on him.

Monaco is all about qualifying and the team not screwing up the strategy. Leclerc qualified incredibly well in Monaco in 2021 and 2022, and put in a great qualifying performance in 2023 as well. The only year his Monaco failures can be blamed on him is 2019. He is aboslutely amazing at Monaco, which is no surprise really, given his reputation for being probably the best qualifier in F1 right now.
And remind us again why he had a driveshaft failure in 2021? Clue, it is also the reason no one got to finish their second run in Q3.
Yes he destroyed the driveshaft. No that doesn't make him responsible for his teams lazy assumtion that the driveshaft was fine, with no further checks.

It's also not like Leclerc wasn't impoving more than his competition on his 2nd Q3 lap.

Even if he wouldn't have been on pole had he not crashed, that does not excuse the team for failing to capitalize on the massive opportunity they had. The crash is on Leclerc, but the team failing to repair the car properly when they had every opportunity to is only on the team. It would be another question entirely if the gearbox was broken, but the driveshaft can be replaced under parc ferme.

Leclerc making a mistake does not mean the team didn't make one or excuse them for making it. There was plenty of time, no parc ferme rules or anything else other than their own incompetence and laziness stopping them from repairing the car properly and giving Leclerc a near-certain win.

BMMR61

Terrific work by a team that is having to find so much pace in the car - since Bahrain, since last year - and learn all the craft of winning races. Turning up on Fridays with a view to winning on Sunday is a new thing and, hopefully, becoming a habit. The tuning of the car to best utilise it's tyres, balancing qual with race, is improving fast with the new aero and seemed more assured here than Miami. They really got the car in the pocket for the race, even though this wasn't evident until late. Sure, the way Lando manages his tyres these days is top shelf but getting both cars to the end without risking "the cliff" was aided by the MCL38B's setup regards it's tyre window.

Monaco will add another page to the form book, and the team's experience gained. The car in it's performance characteristics can no longer be referenced to it's historic circuit friendliness. As Stella had said before the updates, the aim was to make the car work more consistently across the circuits, in fact - albeit with just two tracks to reference - McLaren seem to have a very workable chassis and aero platform. Smart work going on, the optimist in me wouldn't have dreamed of a win and very close second a few weeks ago. This is Austria-level transformation we can be confident in going forward.

BMMR61

Charles Leclerc - "We lost everything in the straights and they are doing something weird with the energy engine-wise, McLaren and Red Bull."
https://www.planetf1.com/news/red-bull- ... es-leclerc

Anyone see anything in the data to back this up? I am fairly sure McLaren have an edge on aero efficiency at the moment with strong non-DRS top speeds.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

BMMR61 wrote:
20 May 2024, 05:16
Charles Leclerc - "We lost everything in the straights and they are doing something weird with the energy engine-wise, McLaren and Red Bull."

Anyone see anything in the data to back this up? I am fairly sure McLaren have an edge on aero efficiency at the moment with strong non-DRS top speeds.
He phrased it differently in the press conference. The deployment was different towards turn 2 compared to RB and McLaren and they were consistently losing 0.1s just on the run down to turn 2 due to deployment. He suggested it was something to look at from their side

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

BMMR61 wrote:
20 May 2024, 05:16

McLaren were on average two tens faster than Ferrari in the first sector over the entire racing distance.

I think the main reason lies in the size of the McLaren rear wing. And perhaps it generates a little less downforce and creates less drag. Oscar was approaching Carlos very confidently on the main straight. Charles could not properly close the gap to Lando.

If work with the battery was also carried out, then everything is fine. This is what I said before the start of the weekend, that McLaren must use the rear wing from Australia, Miami and Jeddah in order to have enough top speed to help both in defense and in attack.

The floor creates enough downforce to slightly reduce the angle of attack from the wings.