2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Mcl38 was the fastest car two race weekends in a row. Should be aiming for victories every race going forward imo

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I'm watching that interview with Newey - and that slip up about Zak is really interesting. It genuinely looks like a slip up but who knows with Jordan. This is just the type of stuff that he would do.

But thinking about it, maybe just maybe Newey sees McLaren as an interesting prospect. The team is racing in couple of different categories, they have a road car division and the fans are not super aggressive like Tifosi.

And I think it is clear that Newey will continue somewhere.

Maybe the slipup was because Zak was in the audience.
Taking centre stage in front of an audience of F1’s greatest names – including former World Champion driver Mika Häkkinen, McLaren Racing CEO Zac Brown and driver-turned-pundit Mark Webber – the pair discussed the future of Newey’s career both on and away from the Formula 1 track.

The candid conversation moderated by Newey’s good friend and manager Eddie Jordan, delved into Newey’s remarkable F1 career, why he chose Oyster to build his dream 90-foot-long 885 sailing yacht and approached the obvious and hot question of the minute – “What's next?”

mwillems

Emag wrote:
19 May 2024, 22:29
Difficult to gauge performance in medium & low speed corners. Was looking at the telemetry of some laps, and at times Lando is gaining on those sections, and at times he loses out quite a bit to Leclerc. I guess it depends on tire condition and how well the driver is driving the lap, but in qualifying, both cars had the edge over Leclerc.

Just trying to get a small glimpse on what to expect from Monaco, but with setups being so much different is impossible to know what's gonna happen. A significant part of the track has corners at <100 kmh though. In Miami the car was surprisingly good in the slow section, but going by past references, it should be RedBull's and Ferrari's track on paper.
One thing of interest is how the Red Bull is scrubbing speed slowly on entry to turn one. This is something the McLaren used to do pre-upgrade, but hasn't done for the past few races. It wasn't clipping for the Mclaren and I figured they were scrubbing speed due to not wanting to do too much braking into the corners.

In this instance Red Bull were only doing it on the Medium tires, but the throttle is full on so perhaps this was clipping? If so why didn't it happen on the hards. Braking I think is binary in F1-Tempo so I'm not sure what to make of that. As soon as Verstappen was on Hards it stopped but this then lens itself to the fact he may need to push. I'd love some onboards of Lando and Verstappen over the first 10 laps, to compare.

You can see at lap 45 that Max had started pushing his tyres too much and had gone out of the window, losing half a second consistently over the whole lap against his delta and a whole second to Lando.
Last edited by mwillems on 20 May 2024, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

organic wrote:
20 May 2024, 09:52
Mcl38 was the fastest car two race weekends in a row. Should be aiming for victories every race going forward imo
Fastest at certain points, for sure. Not fastest across the whole of two weekends. We are without a doubt the fastest on harder tyres I'd say.

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

Lando has said in the post race interview that their weakness in low speed corners appears only when they have to setup the car for a track which has both high speed and low speed so they end up with compromises there to boost their strengths. However in a track like Monaco, the car is setup differently and he mentioned they have "Monaco-specific" parts and he believed the others should have too. Asked on what he thought about the weekend there, he said just ask us after Friday, because it's hard to make a prediction with how things stand now.

mclaren111

FittingMechanics wrote:
19 May 2024, 20:53
Now let's go get some great starting positions in Indy 500.

3 McLaren drivers in Fast 12.
=D> =D>

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mclaren111 wrote:
20 May 2024, 11:20
FittingMechanics wrote:
19 May 2024, 20:53
Now let's go get some great starting positions in Indy 500.

3 McLaren drivers in Fast 12.
=D> =D>
P4, P5, P8 and P15. Not bad at all.

Hopefully they can win this year.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
20 May 2024, 11:20
Lando has said in the post race interview that their weakness in low speed corners appears only when they have to setup the car for a track which has both high speed and low speed so they end up with compromises there to boost their strengths. However in a track like Monaco, the car is setup differently and he mentioned they have "Monaco-specific" parts and he believed the others should have too. Asked on what he thought about the weekend there, he said just ask us after Friday, because it's hard to make a prediction with how things stand now.
Yeah, Monaco will be another niche test, specifically of mechanical grip and trail braking. As you stated, when we can focus on a certain type of corner in our setup, we excel. In the FIA Car Notification documents the team have, I think, started to refer to this now as isochronal and non-isochronal circuits. On face value at these isochronal circuits we look to be the fastest car in some circumstances. Elsewhere, less so, but not far behind.

mwillems wrote:
19 May 2024, 18:32
taperoo2k wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:31

McLaren are within touching distance from Redbull as things stand.

Monaco is won and lost in qualifying or mistakes in the race. Or rain makes it interesting.
We look to be equal overall with Red Bull. It will come.
Over the next few races the competitive picture will begin to sharpen up.

Monaco will see the team benefit like China and Miami, with a very focused setup which releases the car from some of its weak points.
Still, at Miami, we struggled on the softs in Q and won despite that issue as the SC helped get us back up the order. Here at Imola, a more competitive race pace on the medium compound would probably have seen us win the race. So still, there is something about tyre temps that we need to work on to better balance how we heat and cool them and whilst bolting on more DF always helps, it looks to be a separate technical issue in its own right.

-Bandit

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

I know it's still a couple of months away, but it feels to me like Silverstone could really suit the characteristics of the car... I wonder what odds for a Lando win 🤔
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

genarro
genarro

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 May 2024, 09:56
I'm watching that interview with Newey - and that slip up about Zak is really interesting. It genuinely looks like a slip up but who knows with Jordan. This is just the type of stuff that he would do.

But thinking about it, maybe just maybe Newey sees McLaren as an interesting prospect. The team is racing in couple of different categories, they have a road car division and the fans are not super aggressive like Tifosi.

And I think it is clear that Newey will continue somewhere.

Maybe the slipup was because Zak was in the audience.
Taking centre stage in front of an audience of F1’s greatest names – including former World Champion driver Mika Häkkinen, McLaren Racing CEO Zac Brown and driver-turned-pundit Mark Webber – the pair discussed the future of Newey’s career both on and away from the Formula 1 track.

The candid conversation moderated by Newey’s good friend and manager Eddie Jordan, delved into Newey’s remarkable F1 career, why he chose Oyster to build his dream 90-foot-long 885 sailing yacht and approached the obvious and hot question of the minute – “What's next?”
Rob Marshall, Peter Prod, Zak are just a couple of people that Newey knows very well. And he imo can be easily implemented in our structure... He would be the support to both Rob and Peter and supplying them with "gold dust"

Plus McLaren has an indy team, FE team and are interested in WEC...it's not that far fetched

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

genarro wrote:
20 May 2024, 13:20
Rob Marshall, Peter Prod, Zak are just a couple of people that Newey knows very well. And he imo can be easily implemented in our structure... He would be the support to both Rob and Peter and supplying them with "gold dust"

Plus McLaren has an indy team, FE team and are interested in WEC...it's not that far fetched
Initially I thought no way, he will go to Ferrari but now I am not so sure.

McLaren does have some benefits. No need to move to Italy, less pressure from the fans and the rest is pretty similar to Ferrari with the exception of working with Hamilton and mythical Ferrari history. But then again, McLaren has some history as well.

Vanja #66

This is a great read from Norris and his race management. Great skills, commendable understanding of tyres. Won't quote anything, the whole article must be read to comprehend it :)

https://www.racefans.net/2024/05/20/nor ... erstappen/
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

mwillems

That was a good read, thanks.

-Bandit

BMMR61

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 May 2024, 13:38
This is a great read from Norris and his race management. Great skills, commendable understanding of tyres. Won't quote anything, the whole article must be read to comprehend it :)

https://www.racefans.net/2024/05/20/nor ... erstappen/
When you consider the fact that Red Bull have been gaining the experience of regularly winning since 2021, you can see that this is an incredibly valuable time for McLaren F1 and our drivers and race engineers. The lap times and the inconsistency of them show what a battle it was at Imola with those tyres in these temperatures. Sounds like a little more experience for the engineers at the track (and on the simulators back at Woking) would have given a good opportunity to win here. The setups for the race were suboptimal producing too much oversteer.

genarro
genarro

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 May 2024, 13:28
genarro wrote:
20 May 2024, 13:20

Initially I thought no way, he will go to Ferrari but now I am not so sure.

McLaren does have some benefits. No need to move to Italy, less pressure from the fans and the rest is pretty similar to Ferrari with the exception of working with Hamilton and mythical Ferrari history. But then again, McLaren has some history as well.
I've been a diehard fan of McLaren since 1998 so I'm a little biased but nevertheless... I dont get the whole Ferrari is F1 and F1 is Ferrari and the myth of the team and other nonsense... McLaren has the same ilustrious history.

The fact is that every journalist and pundits wants for Adrian to go to Ferrari but I'm not so sure. I doubt that Fred can protect Adrian from the Italian politics inside the team. It comes to mind when Ferrari was run by Brawn & Todt and Schumacher was driving...They had to protect themselfs from Ferrari's sacking sprees ( If one goes all three will go).

It's still wide open to where he will go but my bet is Williams (talk about a challenge).