2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Next four races with this package and the next one comes in Silverstone, reported by some Italian media

https://scuderiafans.com/imola-is-just- ... ntroduced/

Vasseur once again gives a sober assessment of the weekend, correct to point out that Q needs to be done better in order to boost chances in the race. And with that, whatever needs to be changed must be changed to perform better in Q.

https://scuderiafans.com/f1-fred-vasseu ... t-the-top/
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

LM10
LM10

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 May 2024, 11:48
Next four races with this package and the next one comes in Silverstone, reported by some Italian media

Vasseur once again gives a sober assessment of the weekend, correct to point out that Q needs to be done better in order to boost chances in the race. And with that, whatever needs to be changed must be changed to perform better in Q.

Vasseur is like a breeze of fresh air for this team and the Tifosi.

Four races from which the next one is Monaco where Red Bull will likely struggle (your analysis of them having issues when the track is not smooth has been spot on - Helmut Marko said they’ll struggle in Monaco over bumps and kerbs). Not sure about Ferrari’s pace there relative to McLaren, but I think Ferrari especially in the hands of Leclerc should be pretty OK there. What do you think?

Btw, seems like Red Bull once again was a step ahead and anticipated the importance of qualifying this season, changing the characteristics of their car.

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

Helmut Marko expects a strong Ferrari at Monaco

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-ma ... /10613201/

I mean, Charles was a tenth off last year with the horrendous sf-23. If he has a car that is anywhere close, I expect him to grab pole.

Space-heat
Space-heat

Sphere3758 wrote:
20 May 2024, 12:35

I mean, Charles was a tenth off last year with the horrendous sf-23. If he has a car that is anywhere close, I expect him to grab pole.
Last years car was a monster in traction, was it not, I think we have dropped off a bit in slow corners and traction. I think RBR have been the best here this season. I would think Mclaren should be favorites here if RBR will struggle with bumps as some are suggesting.

What are Ferrari strengths, medium speed corners (1st/2nd), high speed (2nd/3rd), tire wear and maybe curb/non smooth tracks. Is there anything else the SF24 excels at?

Vanja #66

yooogurt wrote:
20 May 2024, 10:02
Imagine if the stint on the medium was the last and the race started on the hard, would ppl say that McLaren was the fastest in the race?
I think that if you split the race into three parts, each was faster than a certain team's driver.
That's a very nice way to put it and indeed no one would have even questioned if RB20 is still the best out there in that case :)

AmateurDriver wrote:
20 May 2024, 11:45
So there are even tifosi not buying the usual, trite Ferrari propaganda. We are clearly missing something: this team can build a car that reach to within say 3 tenths behind the best in class (more or less what they're already achieving), but not much more. They lack some fundamental know-how to be truly eligible to win a title, they know this but it seems they are not exactly selling their souls to have it. Red Bull has it of course, McLaren got to acquire it by poaching Marshall from Red Bull. Ability to predict improvement in performance by Red Bull (new concept) and McLaren (recent upgrade) speaks loud: they know very well what they are doing. This weekend Ferrari was again disappointing, expecially in quali, despite a new package that -before being strategically downplayed- was worthy spending a filming day to pre-test: and at end of the day they came up saying, oddly enough we were weak in terms of EOS speed, but we were strong in turns. Come Montecarlo, where everyone one will be set up to maximize cornering and -I fear- they'll say the opposite. They are not to be blamed for failing to succeed: competitions is there with the same targets, and if rivals prove to be more capable you have to compliment them, rather then blaming your favourite team. But this attitude, promising when they know they can't keep, creating expectations just to tear them down when the "proof of the pudding" is imminent, that is simply irritating.
My friend, there is no magic button for success in F1. Todt, Schumi, Brawn and Byrne worked exceptionally hard for 4 years to make a team that would win 5 titles in a row - only 2 of which were truly dominant. They had infinite budget, testing and other resources at their disposal and no team can do this right now. They completely transformed the operations of a modern F1 team that also no one will be able to do today, due to massive budget constraints.

Red Bull was handed a huge advantage with TD39 and 2023 rule changes and they cannot ever thank Toto Wolff enough for this precious gift of easy 4x WDC and WCC from 2022-2025. The fact that Ferrari was basically 1s a lap bellow Red Bull in races last year and has cut it down ten times is absolutely stunning. McLaren did an equally stunning job during last year, but they had an even worse starting position and a lot more margin. They also carried out big internal changes and did away with James Key who was again the wrong person in the wrong position, before they managed to make a huge jump.

Binotto's Ferrari managed to make the best chassis before TD39, but failed massively with "upgraded" PU after Barcelona. Needless to say, they also failed spectacularly to win Monaco and Hungary (along with Barcelona and Baku) due to strategic incompetence, which carried over even last year. All those weak links have been replaced in the last 16 months since Vasseur took over. The result - an even better haul of points in every race compared to 2022, even though the car is not the best chassis in the field like it was in first half of 2022.

They are clearly the best team in optimising the results based on the capabilities of the car this year. Red Bull has a weak link in Perez and they keep him there to focus only on Max. McLaren is also more than happy to sacrifice Oscar almost every race to focus on Lando's results. Ferrari manages the strongest driver pairing on the grid and Vasseur makes sure they push each other to the limit and to try and further improve - without sacrificing the results of either driver.

What Ferrari managed to achieve so far this year, compared to how they finished 2023 as the clear 3rd best car and had many operational mistakes as recently as Texas GP, is nothing short of shocking. To jump over McLaren so convincingly in early races and now also to cut the gap to RB to 1 single tenth after the first batch of upgrades for both teams... No one would have believed this after Dutch GP last year.

It is completely up to you to continue denying the huge systemic and methodic progress they made since Vasseur joined, while some of us are enjoying this approach and know it will yield titles very soon. :)

LM10 wrote:
20 May 2024, 12:34

Four races from which the next one is Monaco where Red Bull will likely struggle (your analysis of them having issues when the track is not smooth has been spot on - Helmut Marko said they’ll struggle in Monaco over bumps and kerbs). Not sure about Ferrari’s pace there relative to McLaren, but I think Ferrari especially in the hands of Leclerc should be pretty OK there. What do you think?

Btw, seems like Red Bull once again was a step ahead and anticipated the importance of qualifying this season, changing the characteristics of their car.
Said a few weeks ago Ferrari will be closer to RB in Imola and Miami and they were. Also said they might be able to challenge for P1 in Monaco and Canada and I would only add to challenge Red Bull. For me, McLaren is an unknown right now, they may be able to step above RB in those two races. I think Piastri will surprise many people in Monaco, but we need to see how everything works for them, Miami updates improved the nature of their setup window in low-load configuration. Ferrari will need to focus 100% on Q and Leclerc needs to perform his magic in Q3 and it still may not be enough. A podium position though, should be reachable all in all.

Space-heat wrote:
20 May 2024, 12:52
Last years car was a monster in traction, was it not, I think we have dropped off a bit in slow corners and traction. I think RBR have been the best here this season. I would think Mclaren should be favorites here if RBR will struggle with bumps as some are suggesting.

What are Ferrari strengths, medium speed corners (1st/2nd), high speed (2nd/3rd), tire wear and maybe curb/non smooth tracks. Is there anything else the SF24 excels at?
It's not that the car is not good in traction now, it depends on the setup. Not even RB can be the fastest in high, medium and low speed sections all the time. In both Miami and Imola, RB and McLaren "sacrificed" a bit of speed in faster sections to improve in S2 and the overall gain worked well for them. In Australia, Ferrari was untouchable in S3 though and Sainz basically lost the pole in T9-10 chicane

#BlessYouLaddie

LetHimTrough
LetHimTrough

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 May 2024, 12:55
yooogurt wrote:
20 May 2024, 10:02

It is completely up to you to continue denying the huge systemic and methodic progress they made since Vasseur joined, while some of us are enjoying this approach and know it will yield titles very soon. :)
Spot on. As a Ferrari fan since 93/94, i can only remember the team being this professional in the 00s glory days.

No public politics, clear goals to be achieved, a leader of Men more than technical as a leader and finally it seems the "we will win because essere Ferrari" is in a way gone.

Vanja #66

LetHimTrough wrote:
20 May 2024, 13:14
Spot on. As a Ferrari fan since 93/94, i can only remember the team being this professional in the 00s glory days.

No public politics, clear goals to be achieved, a leader of Men more than technical as a leader and finally it seems the "we will win because essere Ferrari" is in a way gone.
Targets for this year were occasional wins and getting closer to RB, challenging for WCC if possible. So far they are reaching those very high targets, same as McLaren with Norris. I never imagined such a step up was possible after 2023, yet here we are - soon to be scoring more points race-for-race than even 2017. Incredible.

#BlessYouLaddie

wowgr8
wowgr8

Sphere3758 wrote:

Marko says the kerbs are RB's weakness but Charles was saying that was their strength last weekend, which is it? #-o

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

wowgr8 wrote:
20 May 2024, 13:49
Sphere3758 wrote:

Marko says the kerbs are RB's weakness but Charles was saying that was their strength last weekend, which is it? #-o
Marko is a poor source of information when it comes to car performance characteristics.

Out of all the tracks the car will enter in its current spec, Barcelona seems to be the most favourable, practically the most benign circuit in the calendar. Monaco and Canada seem like a poor fit, but what do I know.

Space-heat
Space-heat

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 May 2024, 12:55
Space-heat wrote:

It's not that the car is not good in traction now, it depends on the setup. Not even RB can be the fastest in high, medium and low speed sections all the time. In both Miami and Imola, RB and McLaren "sacrificed" a bit of speed in faster sections to improve in S2 and the overall gain worked well for them. In Australia, Ferrari was untouchable in S3 though and Sainz basically lost the pole in T9-10 chicane
Thanks, Vanja. So the thoughts are among the top 3, any can dominate set-up dependent?

Hopefully in Canada we see Ferrari run similar RW+BW to RBR and Mcl. It would be great to get a sense where the SF24 is on top speed for similar DF levels. Fred has said, gains from here will be minimal, it seems the next package might target slow speed cornering and tire warm up. I can not find the link where it is mentioned that the next update will target weaknesses identified from the first 6 races...

codetower

Honestly, the narrative of Ferrari not being good, or not having passion and desire is quite comical. I came across this site quite some years ago, and became active about 4 years ago. These silly posts seem to always come from "newbies", but unsurprisingly have a similar tone and pattern of users who no longer post. Either they are simply trolling to get under our skin, or just dont really understand how F1 works. Personally I just pay no mind to them and move on. Eventually they do as well.

Now, this race was satisfying for me. Exciting? Thrilling? No, but definitely satisfying. Once the temperature dropped, and Charles cut the chicane, the tyres were never going to get back up to optimal temperature. With all that, some letup at the end and still came within 8 seconds of the leader is encouraging. One thing I did notice is that the team pushed more, earlier. I feel the earlier races we were way too conservative, over-protecting the tyres when maybe we didn't need to. This was a positive in my view.

One thing I feel some are not understanding, ALL teams are constantly bringing upgrades, not just Ferrari. Mercedes has been upgrading their car consistently and aggressively for 2 years now and they are nowhere near fighting towards the front. Aston was getting regular podiums early last year and have been nowhere since. They also they brought a BIG upgrade package this race and seems they actually went backwards. McLaren did a great job with these upgrades, but even so... Oscar had a difficult time keeping up with Charles. I think we're going in the right direction.

As for Monaco, I think it'll be tough. The characteristics of this car don't suit this track very well. Charles does qualify well, so that will help. But it'll be a tough race.

Vanja #66

Space-heat wrote:
20 May 2024, 14:23
Thanks, Vanja. So the thoughts are among the top 3, any can dominate set-up dependent?

Hopefully in Canada we see Ferrari run similar RW+BW to RBR and Mcl. It would be great to get a sense where the SF24 is on top speed for similar DF levels. Fred has said, gains from here will be minimal, it seems the next package might target slow speed cornering and tire warm up. I can not find the link where it is mentioned that the next update will target weaknesses identified from the first 6 races...
Yes, both Vasseur and Sainz confirmed this. Imola package started in late January I believe and was signed off in late March. They took some time to confirm the right aero development path in Bahrain (and went on two bodywork development paths until then, according to Formu1a.uno) before continuing with a single path after Bahrain weekend. Silverstone package will now likely focus on a slightly different aero map to allow different suspension setup, which will warm up those tyres a bit quicker I guess.

I expect a completely new floor inlet and the bulk of the floor, perhaps even further evolved floor edges. Tweaks to sidepods may come in third package, better to focus on what they have right now - unless they find 1-2 tenths from a different inlet or something, which I seriously doubt though :mrgreen: Wings are quite ok, maybe the two-piece beam wing can be evolved or another spec introduced with bigger top element for a bit more rear downforce, but I don't think it would be a cost-efficient update. Then again, they might have something like that for Monaco already, so...

#BlessYouLaddie

bananapeel23

LM10 wrote:
20 May 2024, 12:34
Vanja #66 wrote:
20 May 2024, 11:48

Is Red Bull really that bad with bumps? The only car that rides kerbs better than the Red Bull is the Ferrari. Red Bull seems to handle bumps pretty well, or are the suspension characteristics that make cars good over kerbs not necessarily the same ones that help with bumpy tracks?

bananapeel23

Space-heat wrote:
Sphere3758 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the SF23 was pretty good under traction, but the car that was truly a monster under traction was the pre-TD039 F1-75. No one could even get close to their performance out of slow speed corners. That car was stupidly fast on slow tracks with many traction zones, like Monaco. Leclerc was already 2.5 tenths faster than anyone else during his first Q3 lap in Monaco 2022. Then he was up something like 6 tenths by the swimming pool chicane in his second Q3 lap, while no one else was improving substantially. Sadly he never got to finish that lap because Checo spun, but Leclerc was in all likelihood going to end up with a ~1 second pole margin over the fastest non-Ferrari.

The 2022 Ferrari was untouchable on slow tracks with many traction zones. It was a total monster that was amazing under traction and had incredible front end grip in low-medium speed corners. For context, the 2022 Monaco pole time was 0.011 seconds off the 2023 time, despite the 2023 cars generally being about a second faster than their 2022 counterparts in qualifying at most tracks. If Leclerc got to finish his second Q3 run in 2022, he would have been at least 6 tenths up on the 2023 pole time.
Last edited by bananapeel23 on 20 May 2024, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.

codetower

Vanja, as always, thank you for all of your insight. It’s truly appreciated.

Question regarding our tire warm-up. Seems that is still a minor issue for us. I feel Canada is still going to be a bit cooler giving us some difficulty there. Is the tire warm up just a compromise between quick warm-up and degradation? We either have low deg, Or Faster warm-up? Is this something that can be solved through set up, or is this something that needs to be developed against and improved?

Additionally, is there any validity to Charles’ claim about energy deployment? If so, is this something that can be fixed through different mappings, or is it just the way our ERS is built?