2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wowgr8
wowgr8

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Xyz22 wrote:
28 May 2024, 16:33
According to Nugnes, Vasseur allowed the Technical Team to make significant changes to the chassis for 2025. The main goal is to have a front pull rod suspension due to its advantages aero wise.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... /10616756/
Believing anything out of Nugnes mouth is like believing in the tooth fairy

Xyz22
Xyz22

wowgr8 wrote:
28 May 2024, 17:58
Xyz22 wrote:
According to Nugnes, Vasseur allowed the Technical Team to make significant changes to the chassis for 2025. The main goal is to have a front pull rod suspension due to its advantages aero wise.

Believing anything out of Nugnes mouth is like believing in the tooth fairy
Actually Nugnes got some information right last year, for example the modifications to the gearbox.

f1316
f1316

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
28 May 2024, 13:02
Don't know why Hungary is in the list. Hungary consists of long medium-speed corners, is usually very and does not require to compromise between straight-line speed and DF. Even pre-upgrade SF24 was very competitive against an upgraded MCL38 in Miami's S1 in long corners (although it used less loaded RW, but still).
It’s not that I don’t expect the SF24 to go well and more that I DO expect Red Bull to be at full strength there. The difference between this and Miami is that Hungary is a normal racetrack without lots of bumps and curb riding. The point is that, when RB is at full strength (which they haven’t been for the last three races), they still have a step more ultimate performance imho.

But I did caveat that Ferrari could bring a step and get on level terms - it’s just that the step needs to be over and above whatever Red Bull brings, and that’s a tough ask.

jambuka
jambuka

What’s exactly going on with PU’s? How many power units has team used for Charles. Which of these were sent to factory ? Which was put back in Monaco ? Does anyone know? Reminds me of starting of issues like 2022. Surprising since last year reliability was good.

Vanja #66

jambuka wrote:
29 May 2024, 07:37
What’s exactly going on with PU’s? How many power units has team used for Charles. Which of these were sent to factory ? Which was put back in Monaco ? Does anyone know? Reminds me of starting of issues like 2022. Surprising since last year reliability was good.
3 PUs used, PU3 only in Imola and FPs in Monaco and PU2 only in Miami, while PU1 was used until Miami and Q+R in Monaco. Sainz kept using PU2 since Miami.

Leclerc's PU2 was sent for checkup after Miami (no info what, my guess something about clutch that was a problem in Miami), so they used PU3 in Imola. PU3 in Monaco seems to have shown a fault with a sensor or something, which they couldn't check and replace in time between FP3 and Q, so they replaced it with PU1. PU2 should be used in Canada and later as far as insiders say. No big issues, just precaution.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Andi76
Andi76

Vanja #66 wrote:
29 May 2024, 07:47
jambuka wrote:
3 PUs used, PU3 only in Imola and FPs in Monaco and PU2 only in Miami, while PU1 was used until Miami and Q+R in Monaco. Sainz kept using PU2 since Miami.

Leclerc's PU2 was sent for checkup after Miami (no info what, my guess something about clutch that was a problem in Miami), so they used PU3 in Imola. PU3 in Monaco seems to have shown a fault with a sensor or something, which they couldn't check and replace in time between FP3 and Q, so they replaced it with PU1. PU2 should be used in Canada and later as far as insiders say. No big issues, just precaution.
PU3 had a pressure loss in the pneumatic valve system. Not a big issue, but it could have become a problem during a longer safety car phase as more air is consumed here. From what I've heard, the PU3 will be used again in Montreal.
Xyz22 wrote:

I don't know if you should believe that. Now that the Ferrari's suspension is working extremely well, should it be turned completely on its head? If that's the case, I don't think it's a good idea. The advantages in terms of the aerodynamic compromise are marginal, mechanically there is hardly any difference, the advantages and disadvantages relatively outweigh each other. So why completely turn something that has proven itself very well on its head and take the risk of a completely new development that can only bring marginal gains (if any) and where others have more experience? That doesn't seem logical, desirable or sensible to me.

What does make sense in my eyes is to change the driver's position and move him a little further back.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Andi76 wrote:
29 May 2024, 08:21
Vanja #66 wrote:
jambuka wrote:

PU3 had a pressure loss in the pneumatic valve system. Not a big issue, but it could have become a problem during a longer safety car phase as more air is consumed here. From what I've heard, the PU3 will be used again in Montreal.
Xyz22 wrote:

I don't know if you should believe that. Now that the Ferrari's suspension is working extremely well, should it be turned completely on its head? If that's the case, I don't think it's a good idea. The advantages in terms of the aerodynamic compromise are marginal, mechanically there is hardly any difference, the advantages and disadvantages relatively outweigh each other. So why completely turn something that has proven itself very well on its head and take the risk of a completely new development that can only bring marginal gains (if any) and where others have more experience? That doesn't seem logical, desirable or sensible to me.

What does make sense in my eyes is to change the driver's position and move him a little further back.
Guys i just reported an article.
We all know that Nugnes is not the most reliable source. Sometimes he has been right, sometimes he was way off the mark.

Vanja #66

Andi76 wrote:
Ah, makes sense, thanks for sharing Andi!

Andi76 wrote:

Indeed it seems odd to change to front pull rod for 2025 in the final regulation year, but they seem to be looking at this solution for 2026 and beyond as far as I understood the article. Tyres will be 50mm narrower it seems and this alone will reduce the overall car width to 1.9m, so chassis itself and suspension arms will be about the same dimensions as they are now. With all that, it may be a good choice not to leave anything on the table for 2026...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

deadhead

Rumors of HAM management team being instrumental in signing Newey

wickedz50
wickedz50

deadhead wrote:
29 May 2024, 17:58

If this is true then I say it will be amazing,

jambuka
jambuka

Ferrari just completed almost 4 races worth of running for 2025 tire tests(~1300km). Though they may not be able to get any deg info, do we think this will help understanding more about the latest upgrades/setup windows ?
Also which power units are used for these tests ? Wouldn't putting so much running on PU's from the pool be problematic ?

Space-heat
Space-heat

Good summary from @FerrariF1FRA of @formu1a__uno on Twitch.

Full summary here: https://x.com/FerrariF1FRA/status/1795916558545400231

Main interesting point on car performance:
"The Imola package brought a significant gain in the pace of the SF-24. Speaking with Ferrari engineers in the Monaco paddock, @SmilexTech (Piergiuseppe Donadoni) says that since Imola the team has gained at least 2.5 tenths with the SF-24 2.0. The objective is to be able to extract the full potential from here to Barcelona, ​​so another 2 tenths."

It would make sense if Mclaren got 4 tenths from their Miami package and Ferrari got 2.5 tenths from Imola that the teams are very close. Hopefully, set-up gains can unlock the extra performance to challenge over the next three races before Silverstone.

Oscar mentioned that Mclaren sacrificed some high speed for low speed gains, and Stella seems to be saying they gained much more low speed performance than they expected, might be just bluster, but it will be interesting to see if we are now ahead in the high speed now. Similiarly, Jock Clear (https://youtu.be/Az0Ix0ulz28?si=aNwCC7YUm9MSBpUS&t=45) alluded to tilting the aero map with the Imola upgrade, but I believe Ferrari were expecting better high speed corner performance.

On a side note, it is funny that a lot of teams this season are trying to make their car easier to drive, Aston for sure. At the end of last season when Fred and the team talked about giving Charles and Carlos an easier car to drive they were widely panned by the critics. Similar to at launch where the media complained the SF-24 was simple/basic.
Last edited by Space-heat on 30 May 2024, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

Watto
Watto

deadhead wrote:
29 May 2024, 17:58

Seems very mixed reports atm AmuS Michael Scmitt has said Ferrari have abandoned talks. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

f1316
f1316

Space-heat wrote:
29 May 2024, 22:51
Good summary from @FerrariF1FRA of @formu1a__uno on Twitch.

Full summary here: https://x.com/FerrariF1FRA/status/1795916558545400231

Main interesting point on car performance:
"The Imola package brought a significant gain in the pace of the SF-24. Speaking with Ferrari engineers in the Monaco paddock, @SmilexTech (Piergiuseppe Donadoni) says that since Imola the team has gained at least 2.5 tenths with the SF-24 2.0. The objective is to be able to extract the full potential from here to Barcelona, ​​so another 2 tenths."

It would make sense if Mclaren got 4 tenths from their Miami package and Ferrari got 2.5 tenths from Imola that the teams are very close. Hopefully, set-up gains can unlock the extra performance to challenge over the next three races before Silverstone.

Oscar mentioned that Mclaren sacrificed some high speed for low speed gains, and Stella seems to be saying they gained much more low speed performance than they expected, might be just bluster, but it will be interesting to see if we are head in the high speed now. Similiarly, Jock Clear (https://youtu.be/Az0Ix0ulz28?si=aNwCC7YUm9MSBpUS&t=45) alluded to tilting the aero map with the Imola upgrade, but I believe they were expected better high speed corner performance.

On a side note, it is funny that a lot of teams this season are trying to make their car easier to drive, Aston for sure. At the end of last season when Fred and the team talked about giving Charles and Carlos an easier car to drive they were widely panned by the critics. Similar to at launch where the media complained the SF-24 was simple/basic.
It’s interesting to consider that there could be an immediate gain (2.5 tenths - visible in Imola) and then a secondary gain (another 2 tenths) from understanding it and getting the most from it. We obviously knew/intuited as much but putting it in these terms is interesting in that it would equal a 4.5 tenths total gain, and this is truly gap bridging.

Fascinating to see how they go in Montreal and even more so Barcelona. If it’s even close in Spain, that will be really encouraging.

bananapeel23

Vanja #66 wrote:
jambuka wrote:

My understanding is that PU3 had an issue with a temperature sensor. They were pretty sure they could get away with running it, but decided to use an older engine to be safe.