2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
basti313
basti313

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

JPower wrote:
03 Jun 2024, 22:47
jambuka wrote:
03 Jun 2024, 18:42
Can we expect another double podium in Canada ?
I don't know about expect, but they probably have a better chance than any other team to do it given Ferrari's typical performance in Montreal and the weather.
Typical performance? Like P4 and P5 last year???

We had the curb riding discussion for too long I think...no one can predict how much it plays a role. They need to beat McLaren first...then speak about RedBull. And McLaren is definitely not bad on the curbs as well.
Don`t russel the hamster!

bananapeel23

ringo wrote:
04 Jun 2024, 07:16
I am not convinced this car can race with Redbull at a normal track. Monaco was not a true representation of the car's progress. Imola, Ferrari could not hang, and Miami even worse. Canada may go the way of Redbull and McLaren.
Remember that CGV isn't quite a typical track either. Unless it has been resurfaced it's very bumpy, albeit mostly on the straights. Red Bull might have to make some setup compromises if their drivers (or their backs) can't handle the bumps on the straights. Remember that the Canadian GP was the one where porpoising and bouncing was at its very worst in both 2022 and 2023 and where certain drivers (primarily Mercedes) legitimately suffered from severe back pain to the point of struggling with day to day life.

Basically I think Spain will be the first "true" test of the viability of the Ferrari on a normal race track where none of the top teams will have to make setup compromises and where McLaren and Red Bull are both expected tpo be very strong.

SharkY
SharkY

ringo wrote:
I am not convinced this car can race with Redbull at a normal track. Monaco was not a true representation of the car's progress. Imola, Ferrari could not hang, and Miami even worse. Canada may go the way of Redbull and McLaren.
I'm not sure what you mean by "could not hang". In both races, when Charles cleared the McLaren (or the McL drove away :D), he had a very similar pace to Max.
In Miami, the gap to Max grew to 2,5s after restart and stayed that way to the end.
In Imola, after pitstop gap to Max was 10s, than it dropped to ~7s at the point of catching Norris and it grew to 7,5s by the end of the race.
In both races, the pace on hards was really similar between LEC and VER. Unfortunately mediums aren't comparable as in both cases Charles was driving behind Mclaren.
Verstappen stills seems to have some margin in quali, although it doesn't look that big.

Sure, RBR is still ahead, MCL might be there as well, but the gap is rather small and I have positive feelings. It definitely seems like there are some wins still to grab this season.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Roberto Chinchero (Motorsport Italia - Sky Italia) reported on Twitch that they heard about Ferrari wanting to make significant changes to the chassis for 2025. He is probably using Nugnes as his source considering he is a colleague, but i'm sure we'll get a confirmation on this very soon by other sources if indeed this report is true.

ringo

bananapeel23 wrote:
04 Jun 2024, 10:12
ringo wrote:
Remember that CGV isn't quite a typical track either. Unless it has been resurfaced it's very bumpy, albeit mostly on the straights. Red Bull might have to make some setup compromises if their drivers (or their backs) can't handle the bumps on the straights. Remember that the Canadian GP was the one where porpoising and bouncing was at its very worst in both 2022 and 2023 and where certain drivers (primarily Mercedes) legitimately suffered from severe back pain to the point of struggling with day to day life.

Basically I think Spain will be the first "true" test of the viability of the Ferrari on a normal race track where none of the top teams will have to make setup compromises and where McLaren and Red Bull are both expected tpo be very strong.
The Redbull has a straight-line advantage over the Mclaren and Ferrari. This track has a lot of straights right after the low speed. We saw how the RB20 pulled away from Norris at the start in Imola. We also saw it's strongest pace in sector 1 in Monaco. The bumps at CGV are also not really bad and never created a setup compromise such as tracks like COA.
The curbs at the straight sections are also quite flat. We have a few higher curbs in the chicanes, but these are more or less low mid speed corners.
I see SF-24 being a distant third and fighting with Mercedes.
For Sure!!

bananapeel23

ringo wrote:
04 Jun 2024, 15:23
bananapeel23 wrote:
04 Jun 2024, 10:12
ringo wrote:

The Redbull has a straight-line advantage over the Mclaren and Ferrari. This track has a lot of straights right after the low speed. We saw how the RB20 pulled away from Norris at the start in Imola. We also saw it's strongest pace in sector 1 in Monaco. The bumps at CGV are also not really bad and never created a setup compromise such as tracks like COA.
The curbs at the straight sections are also quite flat. We have a few higher curbs in the chicanes, but these are more or less low mid speed corners.
I see SF-24 being a distant third and fighting with Mercedes.
Aren't you the guy that said Ferrari would be 3rd in Monaco? I think you're just a tad pessimistic about Ferrari. I agree that 3rd is the most realistic take here, but I wouldn't call it a given. Also you're kind of ignoring the point of my comment, which is that Circuit Gilles Villeneuve isn't a great track for measuring the overall pecking order due to bumps (that absolutely have impacted setup, see almost very team bar Ferrari in 2022 and remember 2023 quali was wet) as well as it being only a semi-permanent circuit.

JPower
JPower

basti313 wrote:
04 Jun 2024, 09:31
JPower wrote:
jambuka wrote:
03 Jun 2024, 18:42
Can we expect another double podium in Canada ?
I don't know about expect, but they probably have a better chance than any other team to do it given Ferrari's typical performance in Montreal and the weather.

We had the curb riding discussion for too long I think...no one can predict how much it plays a role. They need to beat McLaren first...then speak about RedBull. And McLaren is definitely not bad on the curbs as well.
Typical performance, as in Ferrari outperforming its "average" level at Canada. P4/P5 with great tire management in the launch SF-23 was a much better result than the car's normal performance at the time. Similar instances in the past.

f1316
f1316

JPower wrote:
04 Jun 2024, 15:49
basti313 wrote:
JPower wrote:

Typical performance, as in Ferrari outperforming its "average" level at Canada. P4/P5 with great tire management in the launch SF-23 was a much better result than the car's normal performance at the time. Similar instances in the past.
The pace of the Ferrari last year at Montreal was possibly the strongest they had all season to that point - don’t forget that they qualified out of position due to rain and ran a different strategy, and their F2 long run pace had been worrying Marko until that point. In 2022 Sainz was harrying Max the entire race which, again, was unusually strong for him at that time of the season (and Leclerc had to start from the back due to engine change).

This track is definitely an outlier in how competitive Ferrari cars go. I expect them to be properly competitive here this year *because* they were as close as they were at less favourable tracks like Imola. Now, I don’t necessarily think they will be nearly so close in Barcelona (or Silverstone unless the upgrade is very successful) but that’s a different matter.

Xyz22
Xyz22

JPower wrote:
04 Jun 2024, 15:49
basti313 wrote:
JPower wrote:

That's because in Canada a car which lacks downforce and struggles in medium/long radius corners can still perform well and in fact both the SF 90 / SF 23 did better than usual.

catent

I don’t expect Ferrari to be a distant 3rd and fighting with Mercedes in Montreal.

Based on this (and former) seasons, that is not a claim based on objective observations and trends.
Last edited by catent on 04 Jun 2024, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

CRazyLemon
CRazyLemon

This article suggests that Imola was a significant under performance.
https://formu1a.uno/en/ferrari-prepare- ... -upgrades/

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

CRazyLemon wrote:
04 Jun 2024, 17:51
This article suggests that Imola was a significant under performance.
https://formu1a.uno/en/ferrari-prepare- ... -upgrades/
Frustrating that rain could potentially rob us(and maybe the team) of better answers this weekend.

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

if its rain won't it be more on driver skill? in that case we have not seen much rain skill from leclerc or sainz, or is there an example of that?

dia6olo
dia6olo

Fakepivot wrote:
04 Jun 2024, 18:31
if its rain won't it be more on driver skill? in that case we have not seen much rain skill from leclerc or sainz, or is there an example of that?
Drivers do play a part but rain also requires a healthy slice of luck.
One can qualify P1 because of rapidly favourable changing conditions and just as easily fail to make Q3.
The impact is less pronounced in a race but it's still there.

ringo

In other news Perez contract extension is good for Ferrari's constructors championship chances going forward. 2 more years of Perez is a risky move by Redbull and it shows they are hedgeing on having the fastest car and and a distant #2 driver to not upset the apple cart.
It does leave gaps for teams to come close and apply pressure.
For Sure!!