2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
maygun
maygun

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

denyall wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:56
Great progress for Merc. Really excited to see what comes tomorrow and the next few races. Hopefully we some cool podiums with so many teams in the mix.

Challenging Q3, Mr. Saturday delivers as always.

Especially with updates coming for every race, it can be very interesting from here. But I would keep my excitement until Spain where the real pace of the cars would reveal itself.
Last edited by CMSMJ1 on 10 Jun 2024, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed deleted part of quote

matt_b
matt_b

Sector times are below and as you can see George went faster without a tow on his second run in sector 3, and it was purple. That is where he gained a big chunk of time compared to Lewis, would love to see a side by side of both laps to see where it is gained.

1st Run

2nd Run

djones
djones

Big fan of Hamilton but he really needs to start sacrificing obscene race pace for a bit more in qualifying.

He will be noticeably faster than George in the race (like 90% of the time) but what does that matter when your so many places back.

Luscion
Luscion

matt_b wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 01:22
Sector times are below and as you can see George went faster without a tow on his second run in sector 3, and it was purple. That is where he gained a big chunk of time compared to Lewis, would love to see a side by side of both laps to see where it is gained.

1st Run
https://i.postimg.cc/TPnm6cZn/1st-run.jpg

2nd Run
https://i.postimg.cc/9MV9F7hK/2nd-run.jpg
This is the first lap, might be geo blocked for some

https://x.com/SkySportsF1/status/179955 ... 5xf7g&s=19

Luscion
Luscion

George saying the new tyre is usually worth three to four tenths, Toto said they're going to look into why both drivers couldn't improve and shovlin thinks lewis has a chance for a podium, saying his pace in fp3 long runs was "so strong"

https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/news/cana ... ewis-in-p7
Last edited by Luscion on 09 Jun 2024, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.

denyall

matt_b wrote:Sector times are below and as you can see George went faster without a tow on his second run in sector 3, and it was purple. That is where he gained a big chunk of time compared to Lewis, would love to see a side by side of both laps to see where it is gained.

1st Run

2nd Run
The perfect LH lap of his best sector times still wouldn't have been enough, both GR laps are faster.

Looks like GR got a monster exit from the hairpin on his second run. Wonder what it would have been had he had a tow.

Wonder how many more points of DF LH is running if any. Might just be down to bravery.

Luscion
Luscion

denyall wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 02:00
matt_b wrote:Sector times are below and as you can see George went faster without a tow on his second run in sector 3, and it was purple. That is where he gained a big chunk of time compared to Lewis, would love to see a side by side of both laps to see where it is gained.

1st Run

2nd Run
The perfect LH lap of his best sector times still wouldn't have been enough, both GR laps are faster.

Looks like GR got a monster exit from the hairpin on his second run. Wonder what it would have been had he had a tow.

Wonder how many more points of DF LH is running if any. Might just be down to bravery.
Lewis said his car just didn't have any grip in quali and he changed nothing on the car, from the onboard it seems like Lewis was doing more corrections in the car, George looked more stable, would like to know if they're running different levels too

ringo

denyall wrote:

1st Run

2nd Run

Iwouldn't say bravery as Lewis seems quicker in sector 2 most times. Geroge seems to have more straightline pace in sector 1 and 3.
But maybe it's bravery by the wall that gave the sector 3 pace?
Lewis is lacking in qualifying make no mistake.
I dont think he has the knife between the teeth like George has. But i think he is getting back there. The upgrade seems to have woken him up a little.
The Q3 last run was uncharacteristic of the fast runs up to that point. He just didnt hold it together. He's either not as commited or scared to bin it.
For Sure!!

ringo

I dont have much evidence for what I am about to say, but i think George is also a learning machine. He seems to be putting in more hard work studying the driving and the tracks than Lewis is. He builds up his weekends stronger and he is also aware of the other cars and how they are progressing. Very astute drive is George.
Lewis like most of us is a bit long in the tooth and jaded. That comes with age. But he needs to get back into the freshman mode if he is to have any chance of another championship.
A win for George would add a nice lump of points to the 12 point gap already existing between them.
For Sure!!

Luscion
Luscion

Shovlin saying lewis has the pace to challenge for a podium and Toto saying the car has the pace is promising for both drivers

denyall

ringo wrote:
denyall wrote:

1st Run

2nd Run

Iwouldn't say bravery as Lewis seems quicker in sector 2 most times. Geroge seems to have more straightline pace in sector 1 and 3.
But maybe it's bravery by the wall that gave the sector 3 pace?
Lewis is lacking in qualifying make no mistake.
I dont think he has the knife between the teeth like George has. But i think he is getting back there. The upgrade seems to have woken him up a little.
The Q3 last run was uncharacteristic of the fast runs up to that point. He just didnt hold it together. He's either not as commited or scared to bin it.
Bravery = Closer to the knife edge of grip.

This could be confidence in the car, the tries, the DF, the balance, anything.

GR is dancing with the wheel and LH is smooth. The onboard laps side by side show this. There is hardly anything in it between the two.

In past years .300 would have been the gap between P1 and P2, while right now is P1 and P7

Luscion
Luscion

Comparison of the first lap, lewis seems to be needing to make more corrections, especially at the last chicane, Karun also talks about the tow. still trying to find the their second laps

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

denyall wrote:

1st Run

2nd Run

I just watched both of their first q3 runs. George made a snall mistake in entry to turn 2 while lewis had a bigger moment at the exit of the last turn. That cost him a lot of time, 2.5 tenths according to Bono. I dont think the tow was that significant for george because albon was too far ahead. So yeah the main loss was the last turn.

Lewis frequently loses the car a bit at the end of his laps. Maybe he works the tires too hard earlier on. I can recall even his last pole lap in Hungary had a moment in the last turn. Silverstone 21’ also he had a moment in the last turn.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

ringo wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 02:28
I dont have much evidence for what I am about to say, but i think George is also a learning machine. He seems to be putting in more hard work studying the driving and the tracks than Lewis is. He builds up his weekends stronger and he is also aware of the other cars and how they are progressing. Very astute drive is George.
Lewis like most of us is a bit long in the tooth and jaded. That comes with age. But he needs to get back into the freshman mode if he is to have any chance of another championship.
A win for George would add a nice lump of points to the 12 point gap already existing between them.
Yeah i have heard he admitted he used lewiss data to get faster this weekend.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:56
ringo wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:21
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:16
Lewis will be second guessing himself now before his ferrari stint. This track is his back yard and has lost in qualy 8-1 now . This --- is brutal. He has no excuses now.
It's not that bad. the gap was only 2 tenths, plus he was yellow in all 3 sectors. If he was green, then I would be more worried.
The car was the best car today, but that Q3 session turned things into a lottery.
He can still win. This race is a very long one. George does have what it takes to win in terms of skill. He has proven as much in Brazil. The risk is how measured he is.

The Mclarens and Max are a huge threat for the win.
Nah a podium is out of the question let alone a win. IF its changeable conditions then maybe but he has alot of good drivers infront with equal performanced cars. Just watched his interview and his answers are troubling, he has no clue whats going on with the pace. He keeps banging on about practice sessions for some reason but bro its " PRACTICE " you dont really know where your competitors pace stands or whos holding back. Didnt know this is his first time hes qualified outside the top 5 since he started in 2007. Grim statistics are grim.

The more i think about it the more im convinced Russell was struggling with last years car more than Lewis and whatever changes they have made to the W15 has been right up his street. Yes Lewis has his racepace but Russell isn't that far away from him. The side by side was revealing. Lewis looks like he can't hustle a car in qualy trim compared to Russell and its something he won't fix as he's leaving.

I generally can't see him turning it around. Its been a running theme all year apart from Japan. Russell has more envelop to put this car in places Lewis can't.
I dont think lewis has the delta needed to overtake mclaren but i expect him to get ricciardo and alonso. So yeah podium probably not likely but possible if its a chaotic race.