2024 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, June 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zeph
zeph

Re: 2024 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, June 07 - 09

Norris super unlucky with the SC. Russell a bit lucky to recover P3.

Verstappen at 60 wins, incredible.

Cassius
Cassius

What was the reason Norris was so much faster than Max at the end of the first intermediate stint? Any ideas?
Overheating on Max/other's cars?
Wear due to lower RB DF with higher ground clearance on inters compared to McLaren?
Max pushing too hard to get passed Russell and thereby wearing his tyres?
Norris having a slicktermediate?

PlatinumZealot

organic wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 00:08
PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 00:05
At the end of the day the car that was best in all conditions and that couldn't be overtaken on the straights won.

I think Norris is my driver of the day. George was quick but too many errors.
Norris passed Verstappen on the straight in the first stint, and pulled a 10s gap on him before the first SC. But yes in your world maybe the red bull couldn't be overtaken and was clearly the fastest in all conditions.

BTW the fastest car on the straights out of Red Bull, Mclaren and Mercedes was.. the Mercedes this weekend

I have the same dotd - Norris

Honourable mention to Albon for the double overtake

That was a slip up on Max's part. Hurt his tyres. Norris was saving them for laps before that.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

bananapeel23 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 22:10
214270 wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 22:09
Everyone considered upper echelon went off/jumped over some kerbs at 1 point in this race, so it must’ve been tough. PIA was the only 1 that kept it between the lines if my memory serves.
Leclerc made no mistakes as far as I know.
He missed the final chicane & bailed via the runoff. I think he might’ve done it a few times actually
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 00:40
organic wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
At the end of the day the car that was best in all conditions and that couldn't be overtaken on the straights won.

Norris passed Verstappen on the straight in the first stint, and pulled a 10s gap on him before the first SC. But yes in your world maybe the red bull couldn't be overtaken and was clearly the fastest in all conditions.

BTW the fastest car on the straights out of Red Bull, Mclaren and Mercedes was.. the Mercedes this weekend

That was a slip up on Max's part. Hurt his tyres. Norris was saving them for laps before that.
Can you prove that? Judging by laptimes it doesn’t seem like it.
The cheapest sort of pride is national pride, every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.

organic

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 00:40
organic wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

I don't think so, Max didn't go slower than he had before and Norris simply speeded up

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Verstappen somehow still manages to be class of the field even without a dominant car and many other extremely talented drivers doing everything they can.

It's insane. I know it hurts for many of us to watch, but seriously, we're watching the Michael Jordon/Lebron James of F1. Hard to not appreciate the greatness.

organic

fourmula1
fourmula1

Seanspeed wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 02:08
Verstappen somehow still manages to be class of the field even without a dominant car and many other extremely talented drivers doing everything they can.

It's insane. I know it hurts for many of us to watch, but seriously, we're watching the Michael Jordon/Lebron James of F1. Hard to not appreciate the greatness.
Guys, most of the top drivers are extracting the maximum out of the car, down to the hundredths of a second. After the SC, Lando didn't just fall off as a driver, the car was slower (relative to RB) in the second stint. Max didn't just drive faster, the car was faster (relative to MCL). The capabilities of the cars changed throughout the race.

Point is, VES is great, totally, but put most of the top drivers in that car for the last stint and they would likely win too.

Sometimes we forget F1 is, and almost always has, been about the car.

napoleon1981
napoleon1981

Alot has to do with how the car works the tires. That was very very clear today. The order changed, with intermediates on wet track, intermediates on drying track and slicks on dry track.

Dunlay
Dunlay

That run off at Turn 1 and 2 is really bad. The driver that runs off and rejoins, does so on the racing line that forces the other legitimate driver to move away from the racing line. Lando went off and rejoined by forcing George off the line that cost him a second and half as he had go on wet patch, while it brought Lando closer to George. That lost advantage was enough to keep Lando right behind George and take advantage when George made mistake. At that point, George's hards were getting into a good window. He could have chased Max to the end.

zeph
zeph

organic wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 03:32
25K is a bargain for a race win

venkyhere
venkyhere

It was an amazing race, been long since a race has had proper fight for all podium places.

The guy who made the least number of mistakes (or rather the least detrimental mistakes), won.

There is nothing in it between the McLaren and the Redbull, I will reserve my comments until Barcelona is over, to come to the conclusion of which is the numero uno car this season on pure pace (though it surely looks like the Mclaren is much more 'benign' over all kinds of conditions and tyres, RB20 is starting to look like a diva car that works well only in a 'nice smooth conventional non street' track).

I thought Mclaren fumbled by keeping Norris on the 2nd inters for 1 lap too long when everyone else had switched to slicks.

Turn1,2 needs the same kind of 'bollard defined rejoining' like what's there in Turn 8.9 - it's too dangerous and lap-time penalizing, for the innocent guy who is following and hasn't made a mistake.

What won the race for Max in the end, are his blistering restarts, particularly the last one on used M. He pulled almost 1s in one lap.

Hamilton has to come to peace with the fact that for this season, he is going to be treated the same way as how Bottas was treated, when he was the numero uno in that team. From a racing perspective, there was no need to change his tyres for the last safety car, it was purely to ensure Russel finishes in front of him.

Russel has too many mistakes in him, wilts under sustained pressure. He is brave, very brave, but has to improve on minimizing self inflicted wounds. There was one terrorism move on Piastri, which didn't work out. Full marks to Piastri (what a calm guy, I think the only thing that will get his pulse rate high is being launched into space in a rocket, even then I have my doubts. Temperament wise, he is already championship material, racecraft needs to improve a lot).

Albon - move of the season. Unlucky.

Ferrari - nothing to panic in terms of the car, cold track, cold race, expected. But they showed shades of Binotto era hara-kiri by putting LeClerc on H on a greasy track when there is already engine trouble. Sorry that is not a 'gamble', that is stupidity. They should have put him out of his misery much much before instead of needlessly circulating so many laps. They would anyway have the data from Sainz's car.

Overall, a brilliant race, almost a classic.

basti313
basti313

Cassius wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 00:34
What was the reason Norris was so much faster than Max at the end of the first intermediate stint? Any ideas?
Overheating on Max/other's cars?
Wear due to lower RB DF with higher ground clearance on inters compared to McLaren?
Max pushing too hard to get passed Russell and thereby wearing his tyres?
Norris having a slicktermediate?
The issue is called: Tire pressure :wink:
While Rus and Ver had to use a rather high tire pressure to be competitive from the start, the McLarens, especially Norris could take it a bit more easy. This lead to a much better tire usage once the track was drying up.
Dunlay wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 04:19
That run off at Turn 1 and 2 is really bad. The driver that runs off and rejoins, does so on the racing line that forces the other legitimate driver to move away from the racing line. Lando went off and rejoined by forcing George off the line that cost him a second and half as he had go on wet patch, while it brought Lando closer to George. That lost advantage was enough to keep Lando right behind George and take advantage when George made mistake. At that point, George's hards were getting into a good window. He could have chased Max to the end.
Well, there is no space to do it better. And it is only a real issue in the wet. I do not see much of a resolution there and mostly it simply does not matter.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Cs98
Cs98

zeph wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 05:47
organic wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 03:32
25K is a bargain for a race win
The SC hit anyways at the same time from the Albon crash, so no, they didn't win because Perez drove back.