2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
nowaysthatsreal
nowaysthatsreal

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

Good to see that, hope they solve for DF and stability in slow corners too soon.
KimiRai wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 05:43
Aston does seem to have solved their drag issue they had last year, theyve been competitive in speed traps for quite a while now.

https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/wp-c ... 5.png.webp

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

KimiRai wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 05:43
Aston does seem to have solved their drag issue they had last year, theyve been competitive in speed traps for quite a while now.

https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/wp-c ... 5.png.webp
Who cares about the top speed if you don't have downforce or you can't take the corners. Is not Indycar lol.

Waz
Waz

Solved a drag issue, but have no traction or front end. Watching Alonso vs Hamilton was quite painful. Those conditions are usually Alonso territory when he puts in his best drives and bags a podium from nowhere.

And fitting Hards?

diffuser

zoroastar wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 03:51
-wkst- wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 21:54
MichaelxScarn wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 21:17

😄😄😄
STR was gaining until the 2nd SC. Something is actually not right for ALO. Normally he is way quicker than STR.
hard to know what alonsos true pace is when hes not being pressured. he spends so much time managing tires. it happens every race when theres really no chance to catch the cars ahead, he lets the cars behind get to almost DRS before he picks it up. the only pressure he had today was hamilton. he gapped stroll after the final safety car
There was alot of flat out on the hard tires. The engineer was asking him to stay within 5 seconds of Piastri cause of a possible penalty to Piastri, he couldn't. Plus when the first went out on the hards, the engineer told him they were good to the end on those tires, no tire saving needed.

GoranF1
GoranF1

When is new WT due?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

RoadRep
RoadRep

Waz wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 11:03
Solved a drag issue, but have no traction or front end. Watching Alonso vs Hamilton was quite painful. Those conditions are usually Alonso territory when he puts in his best drives and bags a podium from nowhere.

And fitting Hards?
Alonso said after Q that setup changes made after FP3 were no good. He was on the edge all the time and that made him lose time in a few corners, he was really upset on the radio at the end of Q3, I believe he felt the car was good enough to be comfortably on pole.
I think those changes made him feel unable to feel the limits during the race judging by his interactions with the engineer, asking where he was losing time. Turn 5, if I remember correctly, because of tire management that the engineer said was good and turn 10, too much lift and coast compared to others. But at least 3 times they told him he was one of the quickest on track. He had a couple of moments and clearly for the team it was a matter of bringing the car home at all costs after several bad races.
Hards were the only new set available.

diffuser

RoadRep wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 16:32
Waz wrote:

And fitting Hards?
Alonso said after Q that setup changes made after FP3 were no good. He was on the edge all the time and that made him lose time in a few corners, he was really upset on the radio at the end of Q3, I believe he felt the car was good enough to be comfortably on pole.
I think those changes made him feel unable to feel the limits during the race judging by his interactions with the engineer, asking where he was losing time. Turn 5, if I remember correctly, because of tire management that the engineer said was good and turn 10, too much lift and coast compared to others. But at least 3 times they told him he was one of the quickest on track. He had a couple of moments and clearly for the team it was a matter of bringing the car home at all costs after several bad races.
As part of the tire allocation that started during covid, each driver only gets 2 sets of Hards, If you use one in FP, you'll only have 1 left. They had 2 sets of new Mediums(F1 tire allocations allocates 3 per team).

Note that if you're looking for stats on "new" tires, AMR always puts 1 lap on all their tires so they all show up as used.

I went back to listen to the drive back to pits by Alonso in Q3, after he set his last lap and they didn't talk about the setup changes not working. He just complained about the oversteer into turn 2, to which his Engineer responded," a gust of wind Fernando, the gusts of wind are strong today".

diffuser

diffuser wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 17:27
RoadRep wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 16:32
Waz wrote:

And fitting Hards?
As part of the tire allocation that started during covid, each driver only gets 2 sets of Hards, If you use one in FP, you'll only have 1 left. They had 2 sets of new Mediums(F1 tire allocations allocates 3 per team). They put the hards on cause they were concerned, with no rubber down on the track, they would have graining on mediums and softs(they thought other teams using mediums would get graining)....which never happened.

Note that if you're looking for stats on "new" tires, AMR always puts 1 lap on all their tires so they all show up as used.

I went back to listen to the drive back to pits by Alonso in Q3, after he set his last lap and they didn't talk about the setup changes not working. He just complained about the oversteer into turn 2, to which his Engineer responded," a gust of wind Fernando, the gusts of wind are strong today".

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 15:38
When is new WT due?
September

zoroastar
zoroastar

diffuser wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 14:18
zoroastar wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 03:51
-wkst- wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 21:54

STR was gaining until the 2nd SC. Something is actually not right for ALO. Normally he is way quicker than STR.
hard to know what alonsos true pace is when hes not being pressured. he spends so much time managing tires. it happens every race when theres really no chance to catch the cars ahead, he lets the cars behind get to almost DRS before he picks it up. the only pressure he had today was hamilton. he gapped stroll after the final safety car
There was alot of flat out on the hard tires. The engineer was asking him to stay within 5 seconds of Piastri cause of a possible penalty to Piastri, he couldn't. Plus when the first went out on the hards, the engineer told him they were good to the end on those tires, no tire saving needed.
i thought we were talking about earlier in the race haha. theres no doubt that the aston is nowhere near the mclarens pace. still, with no chance of catching the cars ahead he was managing something, whether it was tires (probably not) or trying to manage the car from not hitting a wall. no doubt the car isnt where he wants it.

-wkst-
-wkst-

zoroastar wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 18:29
no doubt the car isnt where he wants it.
I think that's general opinion since some races. You can see that from FP1. Normally ALO is out of the box quick and his teammates get closer the longer the weekend goes, but this trend suddenly disappeared. Very weird.

RoadRep
RoadRep

diffuser wrote:

He said this after Q to spanish media, not to his engineer. I see now I should have been more precise with my words. (Though you missed moments before parking the car where he asks his engineer about final classification and how far it was from P5 and how beaten up he seems when he realizes how close they were.)
If this is geoblocked, he says:
'It has been difficult because we have made quite a few changes from FP3 to Q, it has been a bit... to take some risks in terms of setup and the qualy has been difficult (...) seeing myself 2 tenths from pole and seeing how the car behaved in this session and how the lap was I think how close we would be if everything would have been in place.'

Sherrinford
Sherrinford

RoadRep wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 18:56
diffuser wrote:

He said this after Q to spanish media, not to his engineer. I see now I should have been more precise with my words. (Though you missed moments before parking the car where he asks his engineer about final classification and how far it was from P5 and how beaten up he seems when he realizes how close they were.)
'It has been difficult because we have made quite a few changes from FP3 to Q, it has been a bit... to take some risks in terms of setup and the qualy has been difficult (...) seeing myself 2 tenths from pole and seeing how the car behaved in this session and how the lap was I think how close we would be if everything would have been in place.'
It's true, a pole that he hasn't had since 2012 would have been symbolic, but I mean... In terms of performance and final position nothing would have changed, the other cars have a better race pace. They talked about improvements expected in Barcelona, ​​I hope they will fix the race pace more than the pure performance. I heard someone say that the Aston has little df, in my opinion no, qualifying shows that they have a lot of downforce that they can't extract well, especially in the race. They have potential intrinsic to unlock.

diffuser

RoadRep wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I appreciate the "honest" translation. That doesn't sound like what you said "Alonso said after Q that setup changes made after FP3 were no good. He was on the edge all the time and that made him lose time in a few corners, " .

You're taking the 'if everything would have been in place.' to mean the setups went backwards. I think he's refereeing to what he said on radio " the oversteer in turn 2". To which he then had to push even harder to make up for the lost time in turn 2. That's what he said on the English post quail interview anyways....

diffuser

Sherrinford wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 21:03
RoadRep wrote:
diffuser wrote:

It's true, a pole that he hasn't had since 2012 would have been symbolic, but I mean... In terms of performance and final position nothing would have changed, the other cars have a better race pace. They talked about improvements expected in Barcelona, ​​I hope they will fix the race pace more than the pure performance. I heard someone say that the Aston has little df, in my opinion no, qualifying shows that they have a lot of downforce that they can't extract well, especially in the race. They have potential intrinsic to unlock.

I agree, he would have just gone backwards if he had qualified higher.