2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Tomsky wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:05
Emag wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 17:57
Tomsky wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 17:55

With such strategists, this is unlikely
Man let it go. I questioned the strategy too, but Max had 4-5 seconds on Lando when he pit. Add another one due to the undercut, if they had pit Lando immediately after, that's a 6 second gap with no tire delta. He wasn't gonna be flying like he did.

The race was lost at the start. They just tried something different with the strategy, but it did not work out.
If Lando had gone to the pit after Russell, then the gap from Max after the first pit would have been 2-4 seconds, and this is a chance to trim on the second pit.
And stay behind Russell like he did in the first stint? Destroying his tires in dirty air? Without a tire delta it was going to be pretty hard for Lando to overtake Russell (as proven on the first stint).

bauc

Ben1980 wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:18
bauc wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:10
Lando & Mclaren must work on their race starts, they are horrible and it has become a trait now ..... we lost 2 races in a row that we could have won, I guess all of this is part of the learning curve, like someone here said, if we are disappointed with 2nd than we are on the right track :)
Horrible seems a bit strong.
How it sounds its not relevant, what is relevant is that we are loosing a lot at the starts, especially Lando and it is more evident now when we are racing at the front than before.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Ben1980
Ben1980

bauc wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:25
Ben1980 wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:18
bauc wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:10
Lando & Mclaren must work on their race starts, they are horrible and it has become a trait now ..... we lost 2 races in a row that we could have won, I guess all of this is part of the learning curve, like someone here said, if we are disappointed with 2nd than we are on the right track :)
Horrible seems a bit strong.
How it sounds its not relevant, what is relevant is that we are loosing a lot at the starts, especially Lando and it is more evident now when we are racing at the front than before.
I dont think anyone can describe his start today as horrible. Especially when it's watched back. I recall maybe the China sprint, what else are you classing as horrible?

Tomsky
Tomsky

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:24
Tomsky wrote:
Emag wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 17:57

Man let it go. I questioned the strategy too, but Max had 4-5 seconds on Lando when he pit. Add another one due to the undercut, if they had pit Lando immediately after, that's a 6 second gap with no tire delta. He wasn't gonna be flying like he did.

The race was lost at the start. They just tried something different with the strategy, but it did not work out.
If Lando had gone to the pit after Russell, then the gap from Max after the first pit would have been 2-4 seconds, and this is a chance to trim on the second pit.
And stay behind Russell like he did in the first stint? Destroying his tires in dirty air? Without a tire delta it was going to be pretty hard for Lando to overtake Russell (as proven on the first stint).
Russell had a pit stop of more than 5 seconds, which would have been enough to take second place.

Ben1980
Ben1980

He also smashed his out lap, they said on TV.

Emag
Emag

Strategy was okay. Not the best but they were on the back foot and decided to gamble a bit. Easy to make these smart*** calls everyone is making in hindsight.

Race was lost because of the start, poor pace in dirty air and potentially from slow pit stops as well.
Last edited by Emag on 23 Jun 2024, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 17:49
I hope they start bringing some stuff in Austria and Silverstone. No matter how small, it will make a difference at this point. And RedBull are rumored to bring their first big upgrade of the season so it will be interesting to see how things pan out after that. Kind of a shame they're bringing it in Silverstone.

I really wanted a McLaren home race win :(
Karun at the end of the broadcast quoted Stella who said the Mclaren is an ageing car :wtf: so I guess he’s aware updates are required but as Karun was talking about Ferrari at the time he never gave a timescale for such updates, however in Zak’s interview he said that the whole team will right now be fully focused on Austria apart from the development guys who’ll be focusing on Silverstone.
Just a fan's point of view

Seerix
Seerix

Perhaps the strategy would have been different, had McLaren known, that they would be faster than Max in 2nd and 3rd stint. They could not be sure though, so they went with tyre offset.
I would not call it horrible. I like the confidence of putting the car in traffic. It did not work out, what can you do.
The start and Max's overtake on RUS were deciding events.
Calling team/strategists stupid and horrible is childish.

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:33
Emag wrote:
I hope they start bringing some stuff in Austria and Silverstone. No matter how small, it will make a difference at this point. And RedBull are rumored to bring their first big upgrade of the season so it will be interesting to see how things pan out after that. Kind of a shame they're bringing it in Silverstone.

Karun at the end of the broadcast quoted Stella who said the Mclaren is an ageing car :wtf: so I guess he’s aware updates are required but as Karun was talking about Ferrari at the time he never gave a timescale for such updates, however in Zak’s interview he said that the whole team will right now be fully focused on Austria apart from the development guys who’ll be focusing on Silverstone.
Encouraging news then. A nice thing to keep in mind is that McLaren has pretty much had the same car since Miami. Ferrari on the other hand has brought two relatively large upgrade packages in that time, but they haven't overtaken McLaren.
Last edited by Emag on 23 Jun 2024, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

CjC
CjC

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:38
CjC wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:33
Emag wrote:

Encouraging news then. A nice thing to keep in mind is that McLaren has pretty much had the same car since Miami. Ferrari on the other hand has brought two relatively large upgrade packages in that time, but they haven't overtaken McLaren.
Indeed.
Red Bull had an upgrade here too and the Merc has had 3 upgrades since McLarens Miami one?
Zak said yesterday McLaren did have small upgrades here in Spain but there has been zero mention what they were so who knows? I can only presume they were weight saving items.

mwillems

Tomsky wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:28
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:24
Tomsky wrote:

Russell had a pit stop of more than 5 seconds, which would have been enough to take second place.
I feel like this has gone full circle, twice now lol

It seems the car came alive when not in dirty air so the delta from going long put the team in a position to find clean air and attack very efficiently.

Of course, it could be that we were just better on the harder compounds and would have got past.

But did you know it was Lando that made the call? After bluffing Russell they asked him if he wanted to come in, and Lando made the call.

Also, he would still have been behind Hamilton and Sainz, so Russels pit didn't alter the decision.

So even if it was a mistake, it wasn't the pit walls mistake. What the team realised was that each lap took over a tenth out of the softs per lap. Whilst others dropped back and lost a little time in traffic, Lando gained nearly a second a lap over them in the offset and dropped them like flies.

Fire Lando? I think it was a good idea so I'll keep him for now 😉
Last edited by mwillems on 23 Jun 2024, 18:52, edited 3 times in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

I still can't believe the trajectory this team has been in. Next race marks 1 year since that (in)famous upgrade package was brought last year which transformed McLaren from a midfielder to a top-spot contender.

Mind-boggling how they went from scrapping for points to dishing it out for victories with Max on what was perhaps one of the most favorable tracks for RedBull on paper. In the process, they've out-developed the works Mercedes team, and judging by the last couple of races, Ferrari as well. Two behemoths in the sport which were completely untouchable for McLaren over a year ago, with Ferrari starting the new regulations with a title contender (for half a season).

Of course, things can change fast in this sport, and the season is not over, but no matter what happens going forward, it doesn't take away the amazing and expectation-shattering performance they have had throughout the last year.

SilviuAgo

A race with some frustration for Lando but for an ill driver he was brave enough and the duel with Russel always merit a review. That was pure racing. Nice job!
I am sure McLaren will win in Austria and/or Silverstone ;)

Emag
Emag

https://www.total-motorsport.com/lando- ... panish-gp/
“The race, not good enough simply because we should have won today,” Norris told members of the press including Total-Motorsport.com. “I think we’re the quickest car but I just lost it at the start and then I couldn’t get past George for the first stint.

“So I think we quite easily had the best car out there today, I just didn’t do a good enough job off the line and that one thing cost me everything. So from turn two onwards, 10 out of 10 I didn’t think I could have done much more.

And I think as a team, we did a perfect strategy and I was very happy with what we did. But yeah, the one part of the start that 1% elsewhere wasn’t good enough.”
At least right after the race without any chance to look at the race in hindsight, Lando believes the strategy they chose was correct.