2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sphere3758
Sphere3758

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

organic wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 18:54
deadhead wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 18:29
That 2nd stint from LEC seems quite good.

This demonstrates that qualifying is indeed crucial, and it appears the team expects LEC to excel in that aspect. However, he has shown inconsistency on Saturdays, largely attributed to the car's characteristics in my opinion.

MCL38 will be out of reach on certain tracks tho
Something everyone seems to be ignoring is that Leclerc did his medium stint later in the race than Verstappen. So every lap was done at a lower fuel load - 7 laps fuel difference going by the strategy graphic at the bottom

Still shows very good pace, but I think it's exaggerated
Fuel corrected version
https://x.com/umakshually/status/1805237968858120204

organic

Sphere3758 wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 20:11
organic wrote:
deadhead wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 18:29
That 2nd stint from LEC seems quite good.

This demonstrates that qualifying is indeed crucial, and it appears the team expects LEC to excel in that aspect. However, he has shown inconsistency on Saturdays, largely attributed to the car's characteristics in my opinion.

MCL38 will be out of reach on certain tracks tho
Something everyone seems to be ignoring is that Leclerc did his medium stint later in the race than Verstappen. So every lap was done at a lower fuel load - 7 laps fuel difference going by the strategy graphic at the bottom

Fuel corrected version
So fuel corrected it puts Leclerc equal to Verstappen on mediums but 2 tenths behind in final soft stint & half a second in first stint (though heavily traffic affected). So the gap's probably less than 2 tenths per lap to RB at Barcelona which should be weak for Ferrari and strong for RB

Xyz22
Xyz22

organic wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 20:14
Sphere3758 wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 20:11
organic wrote:

Fuel corrected version
So fuel corrected it puts Leclerc equal to Verstappen on mediums but 2 tenths behind in final soft stint & half a second in first stint (though heavily traffic affected). So the gap's probably less than 2 tenths per lap to RB at Barcelona which should be weak for Ferrari and strong for RB
This is what i said earlier today more or less :D
Also, Verstappen had new soft tyres in the final stint, which in this track is an advantage. Ferrari also made a bad strategy move by using the new tyres at the start. They didn't gain anything considering they were stuck behind MB.
The problem is that Ferrari doesn't have performance in quali.

The massive outlier is McL who has the fastest car by a significant margin.
AR3-GP wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 18:02
Xyz22 wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 17:57
AR3-GP wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 17:09

Leclerc is worth 1 tenth minimum in qualifying on any day and on any track when he does a good job. There isn’t more to say. Stop the excuses.
There is no need to be aggressive.
I'd like to add that Leclerc is usually quite honest when he doesn't do a good lap in quali. Back in 2021 when he was in pole in Baku, he literally said his lap was not good.

This time he said that there wasn't "more" to extract from the car. Of course with a perfect lap he would have been P3, but we are talking very very small margins. To me, it is clear that both him and Carlos were able to get close to the limit. As a matter of fact, Carlos has quite the record in Spain in terms of qualifying, considering that before matching with Charles he always finished ahead of his teammate outside 2019 with Lando.
How Carlos performed vs other drivers in Spain is not so useful to me because none of the others are Leclerc. In 2021 and 2022, there were considerable gaps in Spain in Leclerc's favor. 2023 is not considered because not getting out of Q1 is an outlier result. iirc, the car was steering to one direction last year.

The topic is only a small point (although it does not look to have been taken that way). He could have qualified P3. It would have changed his weekend. It would have changed the perspectives about Ferrari's performance. I think it was there for someone like him. That's all.
With a perfect lap he would have been P3, yes. The issue is that with the SF 24 neither him nor Sainz delivered a perfect lap yet, maybe Monaco.

There is clearly a limitation in the available grip, and maybe it's "easy" to find that limit.

The F1 75 was a car with tremendous raw performance that only Leclerc was able to extract consistently, especially in race pace. The SF 24 is a completely different car.

I highlighted past Sainz results because it is still an indication that Spain is a strong for him, which raises the likelihood of him being able to deliver strong laps in Q.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

After the start, I just don't understand why Leclerc let Hamilton back past. Of course, I can see the replay, but it just felt unnecessary. Hamilton finished on the podium. Next year is going to be so interesting.

Dunlay
Dunlay

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Jun 2024, 05:05
https://i.postimg.cc/C1t0wzXr/image.png

After the start, I just don't understand why Leclerc let Hamilton back past. Of course, I can see the replay, but it just felt unnecessary. Hamilton finished on the podium. Next year is going to be so interesting.
His biggest mistake was, he just didn't keep his car glued to George's back and go similarly aggressively from the outside to attack Norris. He went on brakes early, then anticipated Norris washing out towards turn 2, which did happen which slowed down Leclerc while Lewis had a clean run from the inside of turn 1 to outside of turn 2. Leclerc is not very aggressive on the starts.

F1NAC

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Jun 2024, 05:05

Because lando eventually closed the doors on the outside of T1, which caused him to brake a bit more than normally he would.

LetHimTrough
LetHimTrough

yeah he had to avoid hitting Lando's rear. It was unlucky there.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Key points after this weekend:

- McL was the fastest car by a significant margin
- Ferrari is still mediocre in qualifying and that is now exposed by Mercedes improvement
- Ferrari significantly reduced the gap from RB in race trim compared to Suzuka and China
- Mercedes has improved massively

yooogurt

Judging from the information gathered, the update package - and especially the new floor- correlates very well. Thus, the updates have generally produced a positive result in terms of the load generated, even more than expected from the modeling carried out by Cavallino's technicians. Finding more load was one of the tasks set for the team led by Enrico Cardile, to also meet the need to transfer more energy to the tire and improve the weak points

In Spain, the choice of the SF-24 was again influenced by a compromise in tuning: the additional load obtained caused an annoying bouncing that the drivers complained about, especially in long supported corners such as 3. The interventions made before the park ferme forced the Ferrari drivers to lift the car, improving the driving experience but sacrificing some of the performance. This could explain why the SF-24 actually performed worse, especially when compared to the Mercedes.

https://formu1a.uno/it/ferrari-ecco-per ... -il-setup/
FORZA FERRARI!

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

yooogurt wrote:
25 Jun 2024, 11:32
Judging from the information gathered, the update package - and especially the new floor- correlates very well. Thus, the updates have generally produced a positive result in terms of the load generated, even more than expected from the modeling carried out by Cavallino's technicians. Finding more load was one of the tasks set for the team led by Enrico Cardile, to also meet the need to transfer more energy to the tire and improve the weak points

In Spain, the choice of the SF-24 was again influenced by a compromise in tuning: the additional load obtained caused an annoying bouncing that the drivers complained about, especially in long supported corners such as 3. The interventions made before the park ferme forced the Ferrari drivers to lift the car, improving the driving experience but sacrificing some of the performance. This could explain why the SF-24 actually performed worse, especially when compared to the Mercedes.

This news is a bit concerning. Charles Leclerc stated repeatedly in 2022 that the bouncing doesnt bother him much and he seemed rather comfortable with it that year. I find it hard to believe he compromised performance for comfort UNLESS the bouncing was more than what is allowed legally. That would be bad news though, it means that other teams can lower the car more on certain tracks than Ferrari.

Vanja #66

The next race in Austria will be curious for selected wing level. It requires slightly higher ride height to compensate curbs and track undulation, which means floor load is a bit limited. Last year, RB was able to bring bigger rear wing than Ferrari and they also had a seemingly bigger beam wing on top of that.

RB19 Austria

SF23 Austria

SF24 Barcelona

As a result, Ferrari had the tiniest Top Speed advantage but was far behind in corners in the race. This year they are matching RB on Top Speed in equal wing trim and there's no need to go with less wing than RB. I'd go with full Barcelona aero spec because of this, Red Bull and McLaren had bigger wings in Barcelona and especially McLaren would suffer too much on 3 decent straights because of this while Red Bull never used their biggest wing in Austria because it's way too big. Contrary to Imola, going with bigger wings is a good thing here if Top Speed penalty is not too big
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

yooogurt

Sphere3758 wrote:
25 Jun 2024, 11:45
This news is a bit concerning. Charles Leclerc stated repeatedly in 2022 that the bouncing doesnt bother him much and he seemed rather comfortable with it that year. I find it hard to believe he compromised performance for comfort UNLESS the bouncing was more than what is allowed legally. That would be bad news though, it means that other teams can lower the car more on certain tracks than Ferrari.
Maybe there are flashbacks to Austin 2023 here, when they tolerated bouncing but then got disqualified for it.
FORZA FERRARI!

Xyz22
Xyz22

Sphere3758 wrote:
25 Jun 2024, 11:45
yooogurt wrote:
25 Jun 2024, 11:32

Not all bouncing is the same. The SF 23 was suffering from that and bothered Leclerc (and Sainz) massively with a significant negative impact on performance (it was a disaster in Monaco for example). With the F1 75 he didn't have any issues on the other hand as the car was quite stable in the corners.

venkyhere
venkyhere

Vanja #66 wrote:
25 Jun 2024, 12:05
As a result, Ferrari had the tiniest Top Speed advantage but was far behind in corners in the race. This year they are matching RB on Top Speed in equal wing trim and there's no need to go with less wing than RB. I'd go with full Barcelona aero spec because of this, Red Bull and McLaren had bigger wings in Barcelona and especially McLaren would suffer too much on 3 decent straights because of this while Red Bull never used their biggest wing in Austria because it's way too big. Contrary to Imola, going with bigger wings is a good thing here if Top Speed penalty is not too big
I have observed this 'under-winging' compared to McL/RB, but I don't think it was only for Barcelona, I think it's been the case over many races.

What exactly do you think the issue is ? Is the Ferrari floor tunnel roof lower than the other lead teams ? (asking because after an entire season and a half, heard the drivers talking about 'bouncing' in Barcelona). The amount of throttle lift through T14 was way more than any of the other three top teams.

I thought towards end of 2023 the Ferrari floor was beautifully working.
Puzzling.

My earlier post where I was asking the same Q :
venkyhere wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 20:09
yooogurt wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 19:46
deadhead wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 19:42
That’s pretty bad if true
Very crucial piece of info. It's been 3 race weekends now, I think - Imola, Canada, Barcelona - Ferrari are always 'under-winging'. Why ? Is it because they are focussed too much on straights ? or are they trying to tackle tyre warmup by reducing downforce levels ? or is this is a case of the floor not providing enough downforce ?
I was optimistic before, and was calling out Tifosi posts which spelt 'doom' over every weekend other than Australia and Monaco, as overreaction. Now I think I might be wrong. The mega update in Imola hasn't brought much, I am starting to think.

r85
r85

Vanja #66 wrote:
25 Jun 2024, 12:05
The next race in Austria will be curious for selected wing level. It requires slightly higher ride height to compensate curbs and track undulation, which means floor load is a bit limited. Last year, RB was able to bring bigger rear wing than Ferrari and they also had a seemingly bigger beam wing on top of that.

RB19 Austria
https://d3cm515ijfiu6w.cloudfront.net/w ... et-f11.jpg

SF23 Austria
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/2RA2H6F/spiel ... RA2H6F.jpg

SF24 Barcelona
https://cdn-6.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... sf-24.webp

Gravel traps were added to the last 2 turns to avoid track limits drama. Do you think this will encourage teams to reduce the ride height as the drivers will be more conservative with curbs?

https://x.com/GrzJazienicki/status/1805542874139779500