2024 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 28 - 30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Re: 2024 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 28 - 30

TwanV wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 23:25
Is it max though? His line was perfectly straight. I'm sure the rulebook will be analyzed till kingdom come but to be sure, what was Lando doing there under braking with serious overspeed? driving headful into a squeezed gap and failing to avoid contact using the kerbs on the outside. Clumsy, and with 4 track limit violations after having had the black and white shows to me he lost his nerve at least to a degree. he could have handled that better but wanted to force the issue knowing he'd get penalized.

:lol:

Wow.

dialtone
dialtone

TwanV wrote:
Is it max though? His line was perfectly straight. I'm sure the rulebook will be analyzed till kingdom come but to be sure, what was Lando doing there under braking with serious overspeed? driving headful into a squeezed gap and failing to avoid contact using the kerbs on the outside. Clumsy, and with 4 track limit violations after having had the black and white shows to me he lost his nerve at least to a degree. he could have handled that better but wanted to force the issue knowing he'd get penalized.
You definitely won today. Pure trolling.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

There isn’t a single race series in the world where what Max did wouldn’t be penalized. Absolutely clown cars and what Stella said is on point. This is as much on the FIA for not getting this under control years ago.

Like Michael Schumacher, and Ayrton Senna before him, Max is too talented and fast to be resorting to this stuff.

That said, I continue to be stoked to see Mclaren up there. The Oscar Q off track was a bunch of horseshit and he should have been up there from the get go.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

dialtone wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 23:45
TwanV wrote:
You definitely won today. Pure trolling.

Max did his usual pushing across act expecting Lando to jump out of the way. Lando didn't and Max got a dose of reality. Annoyingly, Lando lost out more - Max increased his lead at the top of the title standings so actually ended up net benefitting from it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SiLo

Honestly tired of drivers reacting to an attacking move. Max has not learnt a thing, and the FIA have enabled this behaviour for too long and we get --- like this.

Liberty will love it though, but for proper fans that like clean hard racing, Max is just irritating to watch.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 20:01

The penalty is for the contact. "moving under braking" isn't really the issue. He's crowding (which is racecraft that I think belongs in racing), but leading to contact (which should not happen and reasonably deserves a penalty).
Crowding a driver off track is against the rules. Moving across like Max did had only one intention - make Lando go further left i.e. off track. That's prohibited. Likewise not leaving a car's width when returning to the racing line is also prohibited. As Lando was touching the white line at the point of contact, it's evident that Max didn't leave a car's width when returning to the racing line having first moved to the right to defend.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

The cheapest sort of pride is national pride, every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

SiLo wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 00:01
Honestly tired of drivers reacting to an attacking move. Max has not learnt a thing, and the FIA have enabled this behaviour for too long and we get --- like this.

Liberty will love it though, but for proper fans that like clean hard racing, Max is just irritating to watch.
I thought it was telling what max said about pointing his car towards the outside and then braking in a straight line. You can’t defend the inside, then point your car to the outside just before you’re braking, hit the brakes and then claim that you’ve not made two movements or moved under braking. It would make a mockery of the rule. Everyone would just defend inside then direct the car to the outside as they brake. It’s still covering both lines.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

bonjon1979 wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 00:44
SiLo wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 00:01

I thought it was telling what max said about pointing his car towards the outside and then braking in a straight line. You can’t defend the inside, then point your car to the outside just before you’re braking, hit the brakes and then claim that you’ve not made two movements or moved under braking. It would make a mockery of the rule. Everyone would just defend inside then direct the car to the outside as they brake. It’s still covering both lines.
Right. The “line” isn’t 30* across the regular racing line. :lol:

Max should race NASCAR.

dialtone
dialtone

SiLo wrote:Honestly tired of drivers reacting to an attacking move. Max has not learnt a thing, and the FIA have enabled this behaviour for too long and we get --- like this.

I’m doubtful they’ll change a thing but imho the overtaking rule and moving under braking are either bad rules or terribly policed or both.

Fixing these 2 would do wonders for the sport. I’m definitely not good enough to know how to fix overtaking, although IMHO an improvement would be to grant rights to the car behind from when the axles overlap rather than when it becomes the car ahead at the apex. This could eliminate any forceful push off and reduce the dive bomb incentive. For the moving under braking, just penalize it, give a black and white flag the first time and 10s the 2nd time.

Dunlay
Dunlay

dialtone wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 02:29
SiLo wrote:Honestly tired of drivers reacting to an attacking move. Max has not learnt a thing, and the FIA have enabled this behaviour for too long and we get --- like this.

I’m doubtful they’ll change a thing but imho the overtaking rule and moving under braking are either bad rules or terribly policed or both.

Fixing these 2 would do wonders for the sport. I’m definitely not good enough to know how to fix overtaking, although IMHO an improvement would be to grant rights to the car behind from when the axles overlap rather than when it becomes the car ahead at the apex. This could eliminate any forceful push off and reduce the dive bomb incentive. For the moving under braking, just penalize it, give a black and white flag the first time and 10s the 2nd time.
I would love to see point marked on the track (a white line) that starts from the braking point, all the way covering exit of the apex. Any defensive move crossing that line is prohibited. A defending driver has to take a position and stay on one side of the line. If a white line excursion is penalized for entry and exit of pit lane, then this could be as well.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

Somebody wrote that the biggest mistakes is that not Piastri the one who won the race after Norris - Verstappen crash. If there is no penalty he would have had the pace to retain his position. Totally aggree. Thats a pity.

Verstappen, FIA. Nothing changes. Max can do whatever he wants. Shame shame shame.

venkyhere
venkyhere

venkyhere wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 18:48
- there is no excuse in the world that can justify VER's defense in turns 1,3,4. Members here who are trying to do so, kindly stop. You know the truth. We saw the 17yr old Max back again. This reminds me of footballer Zidane, who used to have episodes of volcanic fuse-blows without warning. People who are amazing with soaking up pressure, when the limit breaches, it can be a terrible release of rage. Gifted genius with a flawed EQ (typically a by product of bad childhood experiences)

- NOR has to hone his racecraft more. Has to realize that the fight for P1 can be far tougher than the fight for P3 or lower places. He made many attempts, but was not decisive. Yes, VER was moving under braking to block, but after 1 or 2 times, NOR should start to anticipate it better and be more decisive. But he is the guy who kept it clean in the dogfight, it wasn't as if NOR forced a collision.
Someone has come up with comparative videos of what I was trying to convey above.
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/s/HJtoTKhzYM

As we can see, 'anticipation' and 'let me use the full track width, it's just inside tyres that's going to matter, not outside ones' awareness is something NOR has to improve upon. He ended up being a sitting duck to an aggressive late door close (or 'crowding' as it seems to be called). Doesn't justify what VER did, but 'learning to avoid a torpedo' is an invaluable skill.

toraabe
toraabe

Szabi1112 wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 07:15
Somebody wrote that the biggest mistakes is that not Piastri the one who won the race after Norris - Verstappen crash. If there is no penalty he would have had the pace to retain his position. Totally aggree. Thats a pity.

Verstappen, FIA. Nothing changes. Max can do whatever he wants. Shame shame shame.
Until he crashes out of the next five successive GP because of this childish behaviour

FW17

Dunlay wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 03:36
dialtone wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 02:29

I would love to see point marked on the track (a white line) that starts from the braking point, all the way covering exit of the apex. Any defensive move crossing that line is prohibited. A defending driver has to take a position and stay on one side of the line. If a white line excursion is penalized for entry and exit of pit lane, then this could be as well.

https://i.postimg.cc/RhRdc4PY/i-Markup- ... 071239.jpg

What was the point of Norris going on the outside? I am not sure any line from there is a good/faster out of it.
To me it looked like Norris was committed to doing dive bombs just didn't matter if it was on the inside or outside.

I was surprised that he did not get a penalty for the previous attempt which was exactly what Hulk did and got penalized in the sprint race.