2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Ver pitted on lap 52? and by lap 56 he said he had no grip.

Rikhart
Rikhart

Look at the driver view from Verstappen, he never veered left at all, in fact he turned right when he noticed norris was diving on his left.

Sergej
Sergej

I don't want to linger on the episode itself, but maybe Max has to be a bit more careful in duels ? the lead in WDC is surely solid, but today it was very fortunate, a few inches and it could have been easily 25-0 for Lando; I mean this is not last races 2021 where you have to risk everything or it's gone, there are 13 more races and with a McLaren which seems stronger it's very dangerous to risk a 25-0 like this; not to question Max's mentality, there's a reason why he's multiple world champion while I'm sitting on my sofa :) just a thought.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Rikhart wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 21:28

Look at the driver view from Verstappen, he never veered left at all, in fact he turned right when he noticed norris was diving on his left.
He definitely moves left, noticing that Lando is going to try and get alongside on the outside.

Which is usually ok, you're allowed to move over and squeeze the guy on the outside and give yourself a better line for the upcoming corner, so long as you leave room. This is what Max was doing and I'd argue he did leave just enough space, but Max shaved things just a little too close and it was unfortunate for both that such incidental contact caused the damage it did. Was a very borderline thing ultimately.

Given the way Norris was trying to race Verstappen prior to this, I find it very hard to pin any hard blame on anybody here. Both were trying to push things to the limits in terms of racing.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Verstappen had 2 chances to land on this list...

Paa

organic wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 17:24
Not a great drive by Max all things considered :D pace wasnt sensational either
I mean... maybe, but...
Max lost like 5s in the pitstop, had to go around a track with flat tyre, then make an extra pitstop and got a 10s penalty.
And still finished almost a pitsop ahead of Perez. That's the craziest thing for me about the whole race.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Paa wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 23:34
organic wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 17:24
Not a great drive by Max all things considered :D pace wasnt sensational either
I mean... maybe, but...
Max lost like 5s in the pitstop, had to go around a track with flat tyre, then make an extra pitstop and got a 10s penalty.
And still finished almost a pitsop ahead of Perez. That's the craziest thing for me about the whole race.
In qualifying, Perez lacked 3km/h on the first two straights compared to Verstappen. This is unusual because Perez traditionally always has 1-2km/h extra over Verstappen on straights (I always speculated it was because Verstappen loaded up his front wing, which cost top speed). I don't really know if that is some of the problem, but struggling to beat Hulkenberg is a major crisis.

Why shouldn't Hulkenberg drive this car in Silverstone?

Paa

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 18:37
It is like every race since Miami. Inferior tire degradation and especially weak on the hardest compound tire.
Why do you think it was degradation? (I'm writing the numbers from memory, but they probably more or less in the ballpark)

1st stint Max was comfortably quicker, gradually extending the lead to 5.5s-6.0s or so
2nd stint Max was extending the lead to 8s, then he started complaining about tyre, but Norris didn't seem much quicker either. Final difference before the pitstop was around 7s which is more than how they started the 2nd stint. Norris was visibly sliding towards the end of his stint as well.
3rd stint Norris looked comfortably quicker, but not sure why? Yes, he had new medium vs used, but Max seemed to had a big pace advantage on the mediums earlier.

I'm not sure if Max had any particular problem with the car? They worked on something with Lambiase, trying to fiddle with the settings.
Or is it really just a high fuel vs low fuel thing. McLaren seems much quicker on low fuel.

My point is, Norris didn't really gain on Max toward the end of their stint, I don't think this was degradation related today.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Paa wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 23:43
AR3-GP wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 18:37
It is like every race since Miami. Inferior tire degradation and especially weak on the hardest compound tire.
Why do you think it was degradation? (I'm writing the numbers from memory, but they probably more or less in the ballpark)

1st stint Max was comfortably quicker, gradually extending the lead to 5.5s-6.0s or so
2nd stint Max was extending the lead to 8s, then he started complaining about tyre, but Norris didn't seem much quicker either. Final difference before the pitstop was around 7s which is more than how they started the 2nd stint. Norris was visibly sliding towards the end of his stint as well.
3rd stint Norris looked comfortably quicker, but not sure why? Yes, he had new medium vs used, but Max seemed to had a big pace advantage on the mediums earlier.

I'm not sure if Max had any particular problem with the car? They worked on something with Lambiase, trying to fiddle with the settings.
Or is it really just a high fuel vs low fuel thing. McLaren seems much quicker on low fuel.

My point is, Norris didn't really gain on Max toward the end of their stint, I don't think this was degradation related today.
It looked like deg to me in the first 2 stints.

Perhaps the new medium tire made a much bigger difference than expected? It didn't seem to help much in Spain (Norris on used tires closed a 9 second gap). Verstappen said the final stint medium had no grip 4 laps into the stint.

Mclaren good on low fuel doesn't explain why they were not competitive in qualifying. Temps were the same on both days.

Sergej
Sergej

Silverstone will likely be a 1-stop race, that means tyre management will be key, if McLaren can enjoy this advantage towards the end of the stints there won't be much chance.

Rikhart
Rikhart

Seanspeed wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 23:00
Rikhart wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 21:28

He definitely moves left, noticing that Lando is going to try and get alongside on the outside.

Which is usually ok, you're allowed to move over and squeeze the guy on the outside and give yourself a better line for the upcoming corner, so long as you leave room. This is what Max was doing and I'd argue he did leave just enough space, but Max shaved things just a little too close and it was unfortunate for both that such incidental contact caused the damage it did. Was a very borderline thing ultimately.

Given the way Norris was trying to race Verstappen prior to this, I find it very hard to pin any hard blame on anybody here. Both were trying to push things to the limits in terms of racing.
He goes to the left before seeing what Norris is doing, that is how he wanted to approach the corner (it is the racing line after all). Look at his helmet, he suddenly looks left, realizes Norris is there, from that point there is zero steering to the left, he even tries to take avoiding action. I posted this video more in reply to the people who are accusing him of crashing on purpose, which looks to be false.

organic

Still a lot to resolve

Juzh

First stint pace was ok, then it went downhill. Equal fast on hard tyre and then struggling again on meds. I dont understand how pace can suddenly disappear like that. These random struggles keep happening time and time again. Also slow pitstops are getting old now, few times is funny but now not so much anymore. Ferrari would instantly be thrown under the bus for this stuff (clown pitwall and all that), and yet here it's seemingly tolerated. It happened now too many times in crucial moments.

Quali and first stint gave a vastly deceiving impression on mclarens actual pace. Norris and piastri bottled it in Q, while verstappen was flying and again made the car look (much) better than it is. Real difference was probably around a tenth as it was in SQ but mclarens vastly superior tyre management again made it actual best race car on sunday.

Watto
Watto

One think I would say too about all this is you need to take a bit of the drivers radio emotion out of this.

Lando tried implying it was an unsafe release against Max/RBR he had to veer to avoid it was tight but I think the kinda thing that happens all the time when there are a bunch of pit stops at the same time esp safety cars Lando was playing it up a lot.

I think much of the turning under breaking could have gone either way penalty or nor and it been okay. The final one that caused the collision I though Max was primary at fault. Was okay with the penalty.

But Lando saying he did nothing wrong was a bit disingenuous, too after the black and white flag was shown it exceed track limits one more (might have even been twice?) once when he overtook Max handed the position back. But I don't think thats the point of a B&W flag infringement, go over the line by a cm or two, isn't a huge advantage might be at best a few hundredths of a second, depending on the track etc so I though that was a pretty instant penalty to Lando too that took way too long for the stewarts to decide on beside clear evidence as much I think Max deserved his.,

Watto
Watto

Juzh wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 00:48
First stint pace was ok, then it went downhill. Equal fast on hard tyre and then struggling again on meds. I dont understand how pace can suddenly disappear like that. These random struggles keep happening time and time again. Also slow pitstops are getting old now, few times is funny but now not so much anymore. Ferrari would instantly be thrown under the bus for this stuff (clown pitwall and all that), and yet here it's seemingly tolerated. It happened now too many times in crucial moments.

Quali and first stint gave a vastly deceiving impression on mclarens actual pace. Norris and piastri bottled it in Q, while verstappen was flying and again made the car look (much) better than it is. Real difference was probably around a tenth as it was in SQ but mclarens vastly superior tyre management again made it actual best race car on sunday.
I wonder how much the gear issue caused later in the race or if it was resolved?

There was a convo between Max and GP Max said something like You need to tell me what do do e 7th gear' A bit later 'something like Strat 6 please Max to what Max responded with a 'No'.

Hard to tell if it was a non issue or not at the end.