2024 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 28 - 30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
basti313
basti313

Re: 2024 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 28 - 30

taperoo2k wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 13:14
Lando hasn't been in an F1 title fight before, so this is a learning experience for him. He might well decide to go about attacking Max in a different way going forwards.
Aha...how? He tried it inside, he tried outside, he did not have the straight line speed due to the Honda deployment strategy to go at it into T4...
Not really sure what you think he should do...
taperoo2k wrote:
The thing that detracts from Max being truly great is his abysmal defending.
Well, Max was the winner of all of this, right? It was 10 points for Max, 0 for Lando. Did you miss this? It is already Monday.
It simply is completely irrelevant if someone likes his driving, he will win the championship with it.

Actually he should put one of this sticker on his wing: "How's my driving? Call ....." :D
taperoo2k wrote:
He expects other drivers to get out of his way, and if they crash it's the other drivers fault.
He? Who is "he"? Every F1 driver? Because this is how it usually looks like. You had just a few laps later the battles of Sai vs. Pia and Hul vs. Per where each time someone had to get out of the way of the other one...
taperoo2k wrote:
He simply cracks under pressure when he's got a faster car chasing him down. He's not learned anything because the FIA haven't punished him properly when it's been appropriate to do so. To be truly elite he should have learned how to defend properly by now and not risk crashes. He was lucky yesterday that he didn't take himself out of the race.
Again: You know that Ver is the winner of the shunt?
taperoo2k wrote:
What I found most egregious was Max trying to shove Lando onto the grass after the crash.
Same nonsense as the front wing contact. After the first touch both were busy keeping the things somehow on the track. While Lando had to go on to the gras you can see Max looking at his steering wheel dialing his diff settings and moving to the right away from the racing line. Where Lando was he could not even see him early enough.
Speak about the crash and not try to file nonsense accusations.
Don`t russel the hamster!

kalinka
kalinka

Oh...I get it so Silverstone 2021...Hamilton was the winner of the shunt...nothing to talk about...get over it. I like your thinking.

venkyhere
venkyhere

RonMexico wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 12:18
I never really got this idea that Verstappen is like a headless chicken in the same way you would see moments of wildness from Vettel for example. He is the ultimate hard racer and clearly it affects those who try to overtake him, barring Leclerc and probably Hamilton.
- Dad v/s team (Horner)
- Marko (mentor) v/s Horner
- constant questions in media 'when are you leaving' where TotoWolff provides the fodder
- Unexplainable behavior of the car that suddenly loses grip as fuel load comes off
- Botched pit stop that deleted all the hard work that went into creating that 7-8s gap
- Knowledge that the dogfight has to be used v/s new tyres, that too when the car seems to have lost grip alongwith fuel.

The pressure is immense. He is human afterall, no matter what professionalism or training we are talking about, the nut will eventually crack, no matter how hard it is, when all the mitigating circumstances converge together. The consummate professional will suddenly disappear and a petulant child running like headless chicken will appear out of nowhere. He drove like a 17yr old rookie, rather than a 3 time WDC winner. What would he have lost, if he finished P2 ? Just 7 points, which is nothing in the big scheme of things for this year. As I mentioned earlier, Zidane is the closest example I can think of - always seemed to handle pressure very well, until the moment(s) the brain snapped.

This is what makes racing interesting, the human element, no matter how much technology is stuffed into it. Who makes what kind of decisions, when. Otherwise we can have AI bots racing each other - it's far easier than we think - closed circuit, clearly demarcation of tarmac with runoff, very easily identifiable marker points for braking and turning (100m board, structural elements and barriers at specific points) - an image based self driving AI algorithm has a far easier job to do in an F1 race, than what it has to do on a public road in a Tesla. (will anyone even watch such a robot-race ? I guess no one).

Jurgen von Diaz

Matt2725 wrote:
Hoffman900 wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 23:47
Like Michael Schumacher, and Ayrton Senna before him, Max is too talented and fast to be resorting to this stuff.
Is he?

Whenever he's had to fight for position, he ultimately resorts to bumper cars. He looks great in a car much faster than the rest, but his racecraft leaves a lot to be desired.
Car go fast?

Regards,
Perez.

Did you watch the sprint when Max operated with a slower car ahead of the McLarens and made no mistakes when Norris challenged him?

toraabe
toraabe

Well. If he crashes out of the next five races because of stupidness then he needs to get it.

FW17

SKYnRacing24

taperoo2k wrote:
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 21:46

On Lando. My opinion if he can really make a title winning campaign is making me lean into the " No " camp. Last 4 outings he should of capitalised on at LEAST one of them. The fact he didn't should start raising questions, yes its a small sample size but he's not making the most of this race winning pace of the mclaren. Lando is a great driver but Max is a elite one

Silverstone will be fascinating as i feel the cars will be matched there and Mercedes looking to capitalise again.
Lando hasn't been in an F1 title fight before, so this is a learning experience for him. He might well decide to go about attacking Max in a different way going forwards. The thing that detracts from Max being truly great is his abysmal defending. He expects other drivers to get out of his way, and if they crash it's the other drivers fault. He simply cracks under pressure when he's got a faster car chasing him down. He's not learned anything because the FIA haven't punished him properly when it's been appropriate to do so. To be truly elite he should have learned how to defend properly by now and not risk crashes. He was lucky yesterday that he didn't take himself out of the race. What I found most egregious was Max trying to shove Lando onto the grass after the crash.

As for the moving under braking rule? That was an unwritten rule before Max came along. It's not been policed well enough by the FIA, across the grid. Silverstone should be an entertaining race.

If Max has got both McLarens breathing down his neck? I guess we'll have a lot more to talk about next weekend.
Hmm indeed ,Andrea Stella gained alot of respect calling out the BS that harps back to 2021. I do feel Max's antics have been amplified abit too much. At the point of contact its easy to drift when looking at the apex. It was marginal but alot has been made that he's back to his old ways. I personally feel its always been there but due to the car and him being dominant this is the first time he feels like the car is on the back foot.

Ironically the reason why his dicing with Leclerc in 2022 wasn't seen as bad was partly due to with what happened in 2019 against him in Silverstone. Leclerc really held his own in wheel to wheel and matched his aggression. I genuinely feel he was spooked and gained some track space in mentality which is why they raced well in early 2022.

Lando will know how Max will race now and vice versa. Its a fascinating dynamic that can cloud your judgement in wheel to wheel. It happens to most top tier drivers who constantly fight for wins and championships. The FIA really need to stamp some authority and stay consistent to the rules they implemented.

There's no doubt in my mind that Lando and Max will come to blows again and its not mostly what comes down to the on track stuff. The aftermath of this collision is trending everywhere. Every social media F1 clout chaser are making multiple videos, Sky F1 are stroking the fire. Now we go to Silverstone where you get the best racing. Max is the villain. Lando the victim (Especially in the UK media's eyes)

These two must be ghosting social media atm, i can't imagine the toxicity developing to try and mess with there mentality going forwards. Max will be seriously annoyed by the media asking " So have you and Lando patched things up etc " and Lando to. The fact its Redbulls home race along with Lando and Mclarens will heighten the whole event.

Intersting times ahead.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

SiLo

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 14:59
taperoo2k wrote:
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 21:46

On Lando. My opinion if he can really make a title winning campaign is making me lean into the " No " camp. Last 4 outings he should of capitalised on at LEAST one of them. The fact he didn't should start raising questions, yes its a small sample size but he's not making the most of this race winning pace of the mclaren. Lando is a great driver but Max is a elite one

Silverstone will be fascinating as i feel the cars will be matched there and Mercedes looking to capitalise again.
Lando hasn't been in an F1 title fight before, so this is a learning experience for him. He might well decide to go about attacking Max in a different way going forwards. The thing that detracts from Max being truly great is his abysmal defending. He expects other drivers to get out of his way, and if they crash it's the other drivers fault. He simply cracks under pressure when he's got a faster car chasing him down. He's not learned anything because the FIA haven't punished him properly when it's been appropriate to do so. To be truly elite he should have learned how to defend properly by now and not risk crashes. He was lucky yesterday that he didn't take himself out of the race. What I found most egregious was Max trying to shove Lando onto the grass after the crash.

As for the moving under braking rule? That was an unwritten rule before Max came along. It's not been policed well enough by the FIA, across the grid. Silverstone should be an entertaining race.

If Max has got both McLarens breathing down his neck? I guess we'll have a lot more to talk about next weekend.
Hmm indeed ,Andrea Stella gained alot of respect calling out the BS that harps back to 2021. I do feel Max's antics have been amplified abit too much. At the point of contact its easy to drift when looking at the apex. It was marginal but alot has been made that he's back to his old ways. I personally feel its always been there but due to the car and him being dominant this is the first time he feels like the car is on the back foot.

Ironically the reason why his dicing with Leclerc in 2022 wasn't seen as bad was partly due to with what happened in 2019 against him in Silverstone. Leclerc really held his own in wheel to wheel and matched his aggression. I genuinely feel he was spooked and gained some track space in mentality which is why they raced well in early 2022.

Lando will know how Max will race now and vice versa. Its a fascinating dynamic that can cloud your judgement in wheel to wheel. It happens to most top tier drivers who constantly fight for wins and championships. The FIA really need to stamp some authority and stay consistent to the rules they implemented.

There's no doubt in my mind that Lando and Max will come to blows again and its not mostly what comes down to the on track stuff. The aftermath of this collision is trending everywhere. Every social media F1 clout chaser are making multiple videos, Sky F1 are stroking the fire. Now we go to Silverstone where you get the best racing. Max is the villain. Lando the victim (Especially in the UK media's eyes)

These two must be ghosting social media atm, i can't imagine the toxicity developing to try and mess with there mentality going forwards. Max will be seriously annoyed by the media asking " So have you and Lando patched things up etc " and Lando to. The fact its Redbulls home race along with Lando and Mclarens will heighten the whole event.

Intersting times ahead.
Leclerc matched it from day 1, Lewis initially didn't but then finally did and they had a bunch of collisions because of it.

Norris is going the way of Lewis here, he needs to stand his ground. The FIA supported Norris in his move and penalised Max, although obviously the 10s penalty is still pretty paltry.
Felipe Baby!

Gillian
Gillian

Nice post. If Norris' would've gone a bit over the curb like Verstappen did against Leclerc, they would not have touched. =D>

FW17

Gillian wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 15:09
Nice post. If Norris' would've gone a bit over the curb like Verstappen did against Leclerc, they would not have touched. =D>
or he had more skill on the brakes

FW17

venkyhere wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 15:10
Tiny73 wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 14:37
Once again Max fans doing backflips to justify the poor racecraft and general on track behaviour. Incredible.
who is 'justifying' ?
I am astonished that this forum has facebook-fighter type people with US state department's logic - "if you don't align with me and my worldview, you are aligned with my enemy"
Only orangearmy/blindfans will justify Max's moves from the dogfight. They were dangerous, doubtless.
Only people who cannot appreciate the control of the car under braking would justify having such skills banned

chrisc90

Great post. Shows the experience level between knowing how to fight at the sharp end of the grid vs not

venkyhere
venkyhere

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 14:59

Intersting times ahead.
British media must be in delirium.
A 2021-like "british hero v/s dutch villain" narrative has fallen into their lap, like a gift.
Enough fodder to churn through to 2024 December.
The hype around silverstone will be madness :D , and what's more, with McLaren's superior tyre life, a NOR victory is highly likely.

just something as reference from the past : https://x.com/F1Clapped/status/18076205 ... jShrg&s=08 The rules have changed since then (inside guy HAS TO leave room for outside guy); nevertheless this makes for interesting viewing.
Last edited by venkyhere on 01 Jul 2024, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

Jurgen von Diaz

Hamilton vs Rosberg, does anyone remember what racing looks like? Max was wearing silk gloves with Norris.

RonMexico
RonMexico

venkyhere wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 14:34
RonMexico wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 12:18
I never really got this idea that Verstappen is like a headless chicken in the same way you would see moments of wildness from Vettel for example. He is the ultimate hard racer and clearly it affects those who try to overtake him, barring Leclerc and probably Hamilton.
- Dad v/s team (Horner)
- Marko (mentor) v/s Horner
- constant questions in media 'when are you leaving' where TotoWolff provides the fodder
- Unexplainable behavior of the car that suddenly loses grip as fuel load comes off
- Botched pit stop that deleted all the hard work that went into creating that 7-8s gap
- Knowledge that the dogfight has to be used v/s new tyres, that too when the car seems to have lost grip alongwith fuel.

The pressure is immense. He is human afterall, no matter what professionalism or training we are talking about, the nut will eventually crack, no matter how hard it is, when all the mitigating circumstances converge together. The consummate professional will suddenly disappear and a petulant child running like headless chicken will appear out of nowhere. He drove like a 17yr old rookie, rather than a 3 time WDC winner. What would he have lost, if he finished P2 ? Just 7 points, which is nothing in the big scheme of things for this year. As I mentioned earlier, Zidane is the closest example I can think of - always seemed to handle pressure very well, until the moment(s) the brain snapped.

This is what makes racing interesting, the human element, no matter how much technology is stuffed into it. Who makes what kind of decisions, when. Otherwise we can have AI bots racing each other - it's far easier than we think - closed circuit, clearly demarcation of tarmac with runoff, very easily identifiable marker points for braking and turning (100m board, structural elements and barriers at specific points) - an image based self driving AI algorithm has a far easier job to do in an F1 race, than what it has to do on a public road in a Tesla. (will anyone even watch such a robot-race ? I guess no one).
Besides totally overblowing both the seriousness and significance of the crash yesterday you have completely missed my point.

He never lost control on Sunday and I don't think he lost control during the 2021 season either. He is totally in control and is happy to push things over the edge in losing situations in a calculated manner. He intimidates every driver on the grid but only one or two can actually race him.