2024 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 28 - 30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
JordanMugen

Re: 2024 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 28 - 30

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 19:30
Verstappen chose the opposite. Avoid the collision and get a better run to T4.
You mean with Sainz?

He didn't as the inside car in Austria 2024, because he didn't leave Norris a car's width to the white line as the rules require.

chrisc90 wrote:
So norris had a full car width left. As per my example above. (see red text)
Nah. It clearly says kerbs are not part of the track.

If it was a white line and grass, or white line and kerb, the stewards have the same view of which part is the track.
Last edited by JordanMugen on 01 Jul 2024, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JordanMugen wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 19:33
AR3-GP wrote:
You mean with Sainz?

He didn't as the inside car in Austria 2024, because he didn't leave Norris a car's width to the white line as the rules require.
I'm talking about 2023 when Verstappen chose to avoid Sainz even though Sainz was wrong to crowd him off the track.

The two incidents couldn't be more clear in how the regulations and stewarding is too grey, and you never get the
"justice" that benefits you in the steward room when you have been wronged so sometimes it's better to deal with differently on the track, and then have a discussion after the race through appropriate channels.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 01 Jul 2024, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
A lion must kill its prey.

bluechris

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 19:06
bluechris wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 18:44
Come on guys, we really discuss why Norris didn't went on curb to avoid max? Really? Why a driver when he is bullied must do that? This joke must stop and all must drive respectfully.
It's FIA fault 100% that this goes on for many years with Max and whoever what is doing the same and something must happen soon.
Last year, Verstappen vs Sainz:

https://i.redd.it/6mrgslk89r9d1.gif
And? We must applause the driver who take evasive action not to crash and accept that the other can do what ever he likes? Sainz was at fault here and this is what i am trying to point.
You have one driver in a straight line in the limit of the track and the other forcing the 1st to take evasive action on the curb.
FIA must fix this, no one must have the right to force anyone anywhere if he is going in a line that is following the track. Max in this video turns left to avoid the move from Sainz.
I will say it again, if Norris was on the middle of the track yesterday, who gives the right to Max to make Norris to go further to the left to avoid him? Why this is permitted in the first place?
This is what i don't like and i hope you understand my point.

JordanMugen

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 19:34
JordanMugen wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
You mean with Sainz?

I'm talking about 2023 when Verstappen chose to avoid Sainz even though Sainz was wrong to crowd him off the track.
Sure, but Norris is entitled to stay on the track and not take avoiding action. :)

It is Verstappen's duty to leave Norris a car's width to the white line! Since Verstappen did not leave this, it is Verstappen who did not prioritize letting Norris past and finishing in P2 safely, just as Norris did not prioritise staying behind and finishing in P2 safely either.

The whole problem seems to be that both drivers were excessively determined to win, instead of determined to concede and/or hold position in 2nd!
Last edited by JordanMugen on 01 Jul 2024, 19:37, edited 2 times in total.

FW17

Hoffman900 wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 19:23
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 19:18
JordanMugen wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 19:10

Surely keeping your race car intact is more important!
The reference is comparing how Verstappen outsmarted Sainz in spite of being crowded off track in the brake zone, where Norris failed to replicate the same a year later.

https://i.redd.it/6mrgslk89r9d1.gif
Norris failed to replicate it because Max hit him :lol:

Does anyone want to share the gif of Max trying to run Lando in the grass after contact too? Or are we just going to continue strawman arguments?

You kidding right...

Norris left the track on to the grass long before Max moved anywhere close to him.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JordanMugen wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 19:35
AR3-GP wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:

You mean with Sainz?

Sure, but Norris is entitled to stay on the track and not take avoiding action. :)
Are you reading any of my post?
AR3-GP wrote:

Norris is entitled to keeping his line and allowing the collision to take it's course. It will always then become a penalty for Max because Max was the one moving. However due to this, Verstappen scored +10pts. He saw Verstappen crowding him and stuck his ground. The outcome speaks for itself. The penalty systems will never be fair. Previous seasons have shown that.

When there's still a chance to outsmart the opposition, you should take it. That doesn't mean the offending driver (Max/Carlos) was "right" though. It's something to be addressed in the drivers meetings after the race. Norris can raise the incident and ask for precedent or more clarity.

JordanMugen

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 19:36
Yes I read it. I don't know how Verstappen or Norris can predict which car will come off worse in the collision, just as Schumacher couldn't predict it in Australia 1994 or Spain 1997. Unfortunately Norris is not really a serious WDC threat yet.

Your suggestion seems to be that Norris should get out of the way and "outsmart" Verstappen, when Verstappen was the one not following the racing rules.

Verstappen hasn't outsmarted Norris, he couldn't know the relevant points after the collision.

Fortunately for Verstappen and Red Bull - Honda, Norris winning the WDC isn't a realistic concern (at this point in the season at least). :D
Last edited by JordanMugen on 01 Jul 2024, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

FW17

JordanMugen wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:

You mean with Sainz?

It is Verstappen's duty to leave Norris a car's width to the white line! Since Verstappen did not leave this, it is Verstappen who did not prioritize letting Norris past and finishing in P2, just as Norris did not prioritise staying behind and finishing in P2 safely.
You are also entitled to stand up to a bouncer, but advisable not to.....

JordanMugen

FW17 wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 19:40
You are also entitled to stand up to a bouncer, but advisable not to.....
This seems to be a pointless circular argument!

Verstappen doesn't care if they crashed, Norris doesn't care if they crash -- so they crashed. It was amusing and Russell was most pleased to win.

What's the big deal? :)

TFSA

JordanMugen wrote:
Because the rules don't require that. The rules say, at worst, that you must enable the other car to remain on track - that is, within track limits. The "cars width" thing is an old rule that has been scrapped.

If rules required you to leave a cars width, then Stroll, not Bottas, should have been penalized for causing the collision below during his overtake on Bottas (Mexico, 2023).

cheeRS
cheeRS

TFSA wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 19:43
JordanMugen wrote:
Because the rules don't require that. The rules say, at worst, that you must enable the other car to remain on track - that is, within track limits. The "cars width" thing is an old rule that has been scrapped.

If rules required you to leave a cars width, then Stroll, not Bottas, should have been penalized for causing the collision below during his overtake on Bottas (Mexico, 2023).

Yeah, I'm going to need to see a reference from the rules that indicate what you're said is correct. In any case, Max didn't leave a car's width nor did he allow Norris car to stay on track without slamming into him.
Human history is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.

Mattchu

chrisc90 wrote:
Mattchu wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 19:27
2024 FORMULA ONE SPORTING REGULATIONS

Drivers must make every reasonable effort to use the track at all times and may not leave the
track without a justifiable reason.
Drivers will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with it and,
for the avoidance of doubt, any white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of
the track but the kerbs are not.
So norris had a full car width left. As per my example above. (see red text)
Absolutely not! The car width (with regards to leaving a cars width) starts at the outside of the white line and works inwards, at no point does the curbs come into play as there may not be any.
You`re mixing up a car going of track, of which all four wheels have to be over the outside of the white line, with leaving a car widths space, which again starts at the outside of the white line but works inwards!

Leaving the track and leaving a car widths space are totally different!

TFSA

cheeRS wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 19:49
Yeah, I'm going to need to see a reference from the rules that indicate what you're said is correct. In any case, Max didn't leave a car's width nor did he allow Norris car to stay on track without slamming into him.
I can't prove that a non-existant rule doesn't exist. You might want to show us a rule that says that you have to leave a cars width - or some recent precedent that says that.

The overtaking guidelines use the expression "while enabling the car to clearly remain within the limits of the track.". Remaining within the limits of the track just requires the car to keep one wheel on the white lines, although they use the word "clearly", which means you are likely not entitled to push someone to the limit.

Now of course, if there's a collision, the amount of space a driver leaves can of course be one of the deciding factor, when the stewards determines who is (predominantly) to blame for the collision. But there's no hard and fast rule for "1 cars width" anymore, and as the video example i posted with Bottas and Stroll shows, it's perfectly possible to not leave a cars width and have the other guy take the blame.
Last edited by TFSA on 01 Jul 2024, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JordanMugen wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 19:39
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 19:36
Yes I read it. I don't know how Verstappen or Norris can predict which car will come off worse in the collision, just as Schumacher couldn't predict it in Australia 1994 or Spain 1997. Unfortunately Norris is not really a serious WDC threat yet.

Your suggestion seems to be that Norris should get out of the way and "outsmart" Verstappen, when Verstappen was the one not following the racing rules.

Verstappen hasn't outsmarted Norris, he couldn't know the relevant points after the collision.

Fortunately for Verstappen and Red Bull - Honda, Norris winning the WDC isn't a realistic concern (at this point in the season at least). :D
I didn't say Verstappen "outsmarted" Norris in the 2024 GP. Breaking the rules can't be considered "smart".

I simply think it's interesting to compare how Verstappen approached the same situation last year, to how Norris approached it this season. Drivers have to operate within a system which is inadequate, much like humans in the real world.

We are told not to discuss a certain incident from a few years ago, but one could draw parallels to that incident. The moral victor by regulation and steward decision didn't score any points in both cases. If either could drive these two races again, they would probably make a different decision knowing that the penalty system will never give them "justice". Lance Stroll practically admitted to crashing into Hamilton in Spain to "give him a piece of his mind" and the stewards could only offer a reprimand. The system prioritizes entertainment and not upsetting specific audiences, participants, and stakeholders "too much". Most all penalties are a "slap on the wrist" if that makes sense.

dialtone
dialtone

The amount of victim blaming here is a bit too high.

Norris did nothing wrong and that’s a fact. Yeah he could have avoided the action, and you can always find faults in how victims behaved after the fact, it changes absolutely nothing.

Max tried to bully Norris in an unfavorable line for T4 and that resulted in the collision. He was in the wrong and that’s a fact too.

You can squeeze the outside driver or inside driver but you have to do it well, if you are the one steering, as opposed to the track moving your way, and you end up causing a collision, you are a clumsy driver at minimum, or did it on purpose at worst.

Saying that Norris had another car width is totally laughable, another driver literally steered into him.

That’s as far as it goes for the incident.

Racing wise we can discuss what would have been strategically better options for NOR but I think there’s a lot of mixing of the 2 here and even the strategy discussion misses the fact that Max now also knows he might go out next time he does this to NOR, and NOR may do this to him back next race. But this isn’t a “fault” decision, it was Max’s fault, this is an opportunity discussion on whether NOR is going to get benefits from his decision not to evade.