2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

BMMR61 wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 10:21
It's looking suspiciously like McLaren are now coming up against the "convergence ceiling". Hopefully the competitive pace achieved over this part of the season in 2023 will provide better data for setups at the circuits we are now going to. Big questions ahead now, like, did the MCL38 platform trade off much of the car's high speed competitiveness as seen by a mediocre Suzuka this year? This would be bad news for this weekend, where I'm hoping we can get both drivers on the podium. By the looks of the rear wing they brought this weekend they are targeting the high speed range - which is more than understandable. I feel reasonably confident that Silverstone will not play to Merc's and Ferrari's strengths, so.....
We may be coming to a convengeance ceiling, but what is the evidence that stacks in the face of the same previous trend of upgrade gains being maintained?

There's an argument that some of the gains in Miami were delayed prohects from the start of the season, but I can't see anything else.

I see convergence, with some teams ahead or behind, but no ceiling, yet.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

It may be that Red Bull (and Ferrari) is reaching the diminishing returns part of the development but McLaren we can't say. They are still improving. Same can be said for Mercedes.

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

I expect oscar to be right up there this weekend, the lad is brilliant in high speed cornering.
Hopefully we can sandwich max or even get in front and then control it from there.

BMMR61

mwillems wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 12:55
BMMR61 wrote:
It's looking suspiciously like McLaren are now coming up against the "convergence ceiling". Hopefully the competitive pace achieved over this part of the season in 2023 will provide better data for setups at the circuits we are now going to. Big questions ahead now, like, did the MCL38 platform trade off much of the car's high speed competitiveness as seen by a mediocre Suzuka this year? This would be bad news for this weekend, where I'm hoping we can get both drivers on the podium. By the looks of the rear wing they brought this weekend they are targeting the high speed range - which is more than understandable. I feel reasonably confident that Silverstone will not play to Merc's and Ferrari's strengths, so.....
We may be coming to a convengeance ceiling, but what is the evidence that stacks in the face of the same previous trend of upgrade gains being maintained?

There's an argument that some of the gains in Miami were delayed prohects from the start of the season, but I can't see anything else.

We are probably talking around semantics. "Ceiling" is a theoretical limit which is never reached - looking at it as a parabolic curve, performance starts to tail off as the imaginary "ceiling" is approached. I used the words "coming up against" when of course it is more correct to say "approaching".

I know Stella used the term "delayed projects" before the season fully kicked off, I would assume that the massive upgrade for Miami was just that. Anyway, the general flow of all the teams tends to hide the actual progress they make as there can be no benchmark other than how much gain a team made relative to that circuit last year given similar conditions. McLaren by this measure continue to be the winner though we are now at the tracks of the MCL60B. I think we're going to see how the step to an "all rounder" has or hasn't affected the high speed aero efficiency. For those sentiments I'm pleased to see the rear wing and beam wing options the team have brought.

Darth-Piekus

Anything new on the car?

MrGapes

Dont know how the tyre allocations look for the weekend for all the teams... but Fer, Merc and Redbull all looked to have gone hard-med in fp1, and I do feel the soft is going to be a very good tyre this weekend.

mwillems

BMMR61 wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 13:41
mwillems wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 12:55
BMMR61 wrote:

We are probably talking around semantics. "Ceiling" is a theoretical limit which is never reached - looking at it as a parabolic curve, performance starts to tail off as the imaginary "ceiling" is approached. I used the words "coming up against" when of course it is more correct to say "approaching".

I know Stella used the term "delayed projects" before the season fully kicked off, I would assume that the massive upgrade for Miami was just that. Anyway, the general flow of all the teams tends to hide the actual progress they make as there can be no benchmark other than how much gain a team made relative to that circuit last year given similar conditions. McLaren by this measure continue to be the winner though we are now at the tracks of the MCL60B. I think we're going to see how the step to an "all rounder" has or hasn't affected the high speed aero efficiency. For those sentiments I'm pleased to see the rear wing and beam wing options the team have brought.
I got what you meant by ceiling, I used you meant the curve was starting to shallow a bit.

I don't know how much if the work was delayed projects. But I do know that I can't see any evidence yet, that we are on the part of the curve that is slowing down. We might be, but as if yet there's nothing to suggest we are there, it's educated guesswork.

-Bandit

mwillems

Sounds like hydraulic issues for Oscar.

-Bandit

the EDGE
the EDGE

Forgive me if this has been covered, but is Lando running the latest spec floor?

CjC
CjC

the EDGE wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 14:59
Forgive me if this has been covered, but is Lando running the latest spec floor?
I’m glad you asked!
Just a fan's point of view

Macklaren
Macklaren

In interviews, he seemed fine with the car after the floor repairs heading into the weekend, so yes

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Even though it's the first practice, it's good to see McLaren's high top speed.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mclaren111

Aero Rakes for Lando...

Tomsky
Tomsky

LionsHeart wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 15:25
Even though it's the first practice, it's good to see McLaren's high top speed.
https://i.ibb.co/FwnbFts/9-FD57056-9387 ... 2-A4-D.jpg