2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

wickedz50 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:52
Emag wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:45
It's crazy really. Double stacking Oscar and putting mediums on both cars at the end and this is an easy 1-2.

Take a goddamn random person from the grandstand and let him make the strategy and this team walks away with a 1-2 today.
I agree that even after Max was given the call to box for the inters atleast one driver should have come in same lap, that’s where Max was allowed to come into the podium position. If you have to still win the constructor you still need some big double podium. Piastri saved the day by coming in 4th, that car in Piastri’s hand was fast and deserved a better position. Still this is the team experiencing winning opportunities which is new and they need to be impeccable in execution because that’s what Merc and RBR team is showing. A one car RBR can still win the WCC if Max keeps getting the wins, which will be quite embarrassing.
Max going to pit is hard to counter as he was about 10 seconds behind our guys. He will always have opportunity to be called in AFTER McLaren drivers pass the pit entry. This call I can understand. It's hard to judge exactly when you need to go in. Mercedes was in the same spot and Verstappen really nailed the timing.
DiogoBrand wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:55
To me the main issue ATM is that McLaren is picking its strategy to avoid losing, rather than trying to win. That's why on both windows they waited for everyone else to stop, and why Norris used Softs instead of Mediums on the last stint.
When they realize the car they have and race to win, rather than to not lose, I think they can maximize the results.
I completely agree. I think this is still the team that was happy to gain points for P4, P3 or settle for P2. I don't think they did it intentionally here but covering Hamilton is exactly that, defensive decision as if you both are wrong, you are still in the same spot. Verstappen was likely not a factor in their decision making as he was 7 seconds behind Hamilton but given that Lando lost a lot of time in that extra lap, he became a factor.

I am extremely puzzled by McLaren mentioning they have mediums available against other cars and then decide to put Norris on soft. That screamed to be a wrong decision. The same can be said about not pitting Piastri, on this huge long lap in Silverstone you decide to keep Piastri for one more lap while you can see on the timing screen that Verstappen is much faster. How that happens I can't really understand.

I am also very annoyed by how much the team (or at least Will Joseph) lays on Lando to decide in the heat of the moment. Maybe Lando wants it that way but it is definitely a mistake. The strategy team needs to be more assertive and then allow Lando to overrule if he thinks it is a mistake. Lando needs to learn to trust them more.

For the future, the team needs to make better and more assertive calls to the team. The way they go about business is leaving too much for drivers to decide and it leads to these type of mistakes.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Ben1980 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 19:32
I can guarantee though, that if we went mediums and didn't win. People would be fuming over not taking softs.
Maybe you would get some people complain but it would have been a completely logical choice. They went into this weekend by having two mediums and one hard. This choice is probably because they expected a possible race like this. They even mentioned it over the team radio. And then they go and put him on a soft for 15 laps.

These things can't really be compared. Not only they put him on softs but they did so a lap late so he lost his advantage. They were too reactive and defensive in their decision making.

Lucky
Lucky

The clown strategists moved from the Ferrari garage to the McLaren garage

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Only positive we can take from this is that continuation of these strategy mistakes will lead the team to improve. Imagine if this was a close fought championship fight and we end up losing so many races due to mistakes.

But at the same time, maybe it would be close if the execution was slightly better.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 19:47
Only positive we can take from this is that continuation of these strategy mistakes will lead the team to improve. Imagine if this was a close fought championship fight and we end up losing so many races due to mistakes.

But at the same time, maybe it would be close if the execution was slightly better.
It is a close fought championship, we are losing it.

We had every chance of both titles and we are wasting it.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 19:49
FittingMechanics wrote:

Now imagine that in two weeks, when half the season is already behind us, McLaren is working on the mistakes at the team’s factory, releasing further updates for the car and stopping making mistakes, and Lando and Oscar will start bringing home victories. In that case, McLaren will quickly score points. At the end of the season, we can expect victory in the constructors’ championship, and Lando will be able to reduce the gap to Max. Oh yes, dreams, dreams.

CjC
CjC

CjC wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:21
I think Landos post race interview on Sky sums up everything for me
For those who can view it, this is the interview I’m referring to

https://www.skysports.com/f1/video/3099 ... british-gp
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 19:57
mwillems wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

Now imagine that in two weeks, when half the season is already behind us, McLaren is working on the mistakes at the team’s factory, releasing further updates for the car and stopping making mistakes, and Lando and Oscar will start bringing home victories. In that case, McLaren will quickly score points. At the end of the season, we can expect victory in the constructors’ championship, and Lando will be able to reduce the gap to Max. Oh yes, dreams, dreams.
If that happens I will celebrate. But I can't celebrate the eggs that haven't been laid yet.

This is where we are today.

-Bandit

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Norris overshot his pitbox on the final stop which caused his 4.5 second stop (2-2.5 seconds slower than typical).

It also damaged his race. Considering that the gap to Hamilton when he got back on track was 2.5 seconds, this mistake cost him potentially the position, and definitely the DRS to Hamilton.

Drivers simply have to execute if they want to win races. The fault is not all with Mclaren strategist.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 20:13
LionsHeart wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 19:57
mwillems wrote:

If that happens I will celebrate. But I can't celebrate the eggs that haven't been laid yet.

This is where we are today.
Yes, and for now there is. Well, let's see how the team can come back, like a Phoenix.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 20:16
Norris overshot his pitbox on the final stop which caused his 4.5 second stop (2-2.5 seconds slower than typical).

https://i.postimg.cc/wvSxJ27J/image.png

It also damaged his race. Considering that the gap to Hamilton when he got back on track was 2.5 seconds, this mistake cost him potentially the position, and definitely the DRS to Hamilton.

Drivers simply have to execute if they want to win races. The fault is not all with Mclaren strategist.
There were mistakes on Lando's part and on the team's part. There were a lot of mistakes. We need to let this go through us, cross ourselves, and hope that this will not happen again. Let them discuss everything at the briefing after the race. This season may already be lost, although mathematically not all is lost. But what is certain is that this season is turning out to be a training session for 2025, when the team should enter the championship fight from the first race.

mwillems

I think the post is more about bursting the delusion of some on here that all the blame is on the team when the blame is split between team and driver, and probably not far off from 60/40.
Last edited by mwillems on 07 Jul 2024, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

SilviuAgo

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/our- ... n-drought/

What most of us in this forum said. Is strange that the McLaren strategy team is worst than "amateurs" like us.

"McLaren will be kicking itself for cramming in so many strategic missteps into one grand prix.

Yes, it was a chaotic race that put the pitwalls under pressure, but McLaren’s calls looked wrong in the moment, not just with hindsight.

Not stacking the cars on the first stops, leaving Norris out for an extra lap when the weather changed again, then taking softs on Norris’s car when he had new mediums available - even Hamilton was able to identify at least two of those mistakes by the time he made it to the cooldown room before the podium.

I guess the team will put it down to learning how to make those decisions in the pressure cooker of racing for the win. But that’s a generous assessment."

McL-H
McL-H

AR3-GP wrote:

Yes, I noticed that too. Strategists do take blame for wasting a solid 1-2 finish today on home soil. But Lando has a tendency to mess things up when it matters most. Don’t get me wrong, I like Lando. But I’m sure Max would be leading the championship in that McLaren. It has been the best car on the grid for quite a while now.

Ben1980
Ben1980

McL-H wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 20:28
AR3-GP wrote:

Yes, I noticed that too. Strategists do take blame for wasting a solid 1-2 finish today on home soil. But Lando has a tendency to mess things up when it matters most. Don’t get me wrong, I like Lando. But I’m sure Max would be leading the championship in that McLaren. It has been the best car on the grid for quite a while now.
Max would be leading the title? A few say this. I think if Lando didn't have to fight Max in a RB he would likely be winning the title aswell.