2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Teas

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 04:55
TBH I have no idea, not my own transcript.

Sticking behind Stroll and burning his rear tyres being attacked by Hulkenberg of all people :lol: definitely played a role in the stop. They probably would've gone for some other tyre for the meantime if there hadn't been this misinterpretation (?) of the upcoming rain on Leclerc's side.

I call this a misinterpretation because Sainz was correctly told the immediate forecast rain will reduce in intensity at the same time Leclerc was being told the rain will increase in intensity.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

CaribouBread wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 05:19
AR3-GP wrote:

Sticking behind Stroll and burning his rear tyres being attacked by Hulkenberg of all people :lol: definitely played a role in the stop. They probably would've gone for some other tyre for the meantime if there hadn't been this misinterpretation (?) of the upcoming rain on Leclerc's side.

I call this a misinterpretation because Sainz was correctly told the immediate forecast rain will reduce in intensity at the same time Leclerc was being told the rain will increase in intensity.
Okay I see. By the way, I deleted some comments as I don't want to make that point anymore since it might have been harsh.

I simply think there is something that can be improved and it will probably involve work from both driver and engineer to get the most out of the partnership. Bozzi's communication was imprecise but it is the result of a bigger problem. Both must discuss how it can be better. Leclerc has already shown great race reading ability and intelligence in the dry races. There is no reason that it cannot be at the same level in the wet races.

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

any reason why Ferrari didn't look for an experienced race engineer? this was like his 6th race as race engineer, maybe he can improve, and I hope he improves.

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

CaribouBread wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

So, what would have been the best strategy for Charles yesterday in hindsight?

He did have 2 new sets of softs. Things could have gotten very interesting if he had pit for softs for his first stop. He would have had so much more grip than the rest that I believe he could have easily made up for lost time and caused others to panic

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

Though it was Leclercs call his engineer was too quick to provide him rain update turn by turn. He was on it on ever turn. Also though he mentioned leaders staying on slick his last msg was rain will stay next 10 mins …which was wrong it was hardly 2-4 laps. I guess this last miscommunication triggered Leclerc to pull the plug. Anyways Leclerc has to take blame too.
Redbull and max always benefit from rain or SC situations. They turn 5th into 2nd while Ferrari always make situation worse.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 05:28
CaribouBread wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Okay I see. By the way, I deleted some comments as I don't want to make that point anymore since it might have been harsh.

I simply think there is something that can be improved and it will probably involve work from both driver and engineer to get the most out of the partnership. Bozzi's communication was imprecise but it is the result of a bigger problem. Both must discuss how it can be better. Leclerc has already shown great race reading ability and intelligence in the dry races. There is no reason that it cannot be at the same level in the wet races.
I see, I also replied with too much vitriol than was warranted and I apologize. It is a valid point that Charles's camp needs to learn communicative processes from Sainz/Adami. Whether the onus of that falls on Leclerc or the team is a different matter entirely.

bluechris

For me the solution for the pitwall is simple, they must stop inventing.
Keep Sainz as top strategist.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Really disappointed with Leclerc performance given Silverstone is his favorite/strongest track (he said it himself).

He managed to fight for the win with the SF21, and a podium with the SF1000 here...

Positive of the day, at least we can say the car will be in good hands with Hamilton next year

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

7 tenths off of the leaders is mind bogglingly bad. How did we regress after Imola with, in this case, the same car?

venkyhere
venkyhere

Forget about 'who made the call for inters, team or driver' debate - this is low hanging fruit.

What's the big picture ?
- Imola package, which itself didn't bring in much laptime (maybe a tenth or half a tenth)
- Barcelona package, which was basically lowering the tunnel height and going all guns blazing for more downforce, putting the car back into 2022 (where the quest for peak downforce created porpoising) and making it unusable unless ride height was increased sub-optimally.

The budget (which is part of budget cap) and resources and time spent on Barcelona package has yielded nothing. This is the biggest problem of all.

The team not knowing what to do when they are at a crossroads like this.

Not saying other teams are great in such a situation - McLaren struggled for the first half of 2023, Mercedes struggled for 2 years, Redbull are paying the price now for going super-aggressive with their stiffer and stiffer suspension from 2022->2023->2024, Aston Martin have disappeared after a bright 2023 start, Alpine are nowhere (despite the recent upsurge), etc etc.

But Ferrari look more 'lost' than any other team, because they are dilly-dallying so much. The first thing they should do, is throw away the media spies infiltrators from within the team from Maranello. The second thing they should do, is stop 'talking' and start 'doing' about the engg changes. There is no need to communicate to the outside world, what is happening behind closed doors. The biggest problem the team have, is the needless 'overselling' of updates to the car. Stop discussing the details with Italian Media (which eventually leaks into the mainstream media).

Andres125sx

Looking at last posts, blaming strategy call and a way too early pitstop, looks like people didn´t notice Leclerc lost 6 seconds in 2 laps to Sainz, when first rain hit the track. He went from 5,5 seconds down, to 12 seconds in no time
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Before that poor pitcall, the race was already doomed for Leclerc

JPower wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:58
AR3-GP wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:51
Sainz was fantastic today. As usual, he is a mixed conditions master.
He was faster than Verstappen when the track got damp. As usual for him, his good drives will go unnoticed. :)

Indeed, given the poor car Ferrari was in Silverstone, Sainz did an awesome job

bluechris wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 07:07
For me the solution for the pitwall is simple, they must stop inventing.
Keep Sainz as top strategist.
:D :D :D

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

How do we expect the upgrade to fare at the hungaroring?

Are the couple of medium speed corners still fast enough to induce bouncing ?

bluechris

Sphere3758 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 09:29
How do we expect the upgrade to fare at the hungaroring?

Are the couple of medium speed corners still fast enough to induce bouncing ?
I think we will be ok there.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Sphere3758 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 05:39
CaribouBread wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

So, what would have been the best strategy for Charles yesterday in hindsight?

He did have 2 new sets of softs. Things could have gotten very interesting if he had pit for softs for his first stop. He would have had so much more grip than the rest that I believe he could have easily made up for lost time and caused others to panic
Yeah, a pitstop for new softs would have been a great call, actually. In any event, Leclerc made a bad call but communication wasn't great. Of course he was going to pit after they said to him "heavy rain incoming". The issue is that the rain arrived 8 laps later :D

Still, it's not even the biggest issue. Ferrari was 0.6s off Mercedes in the first stint

yooogurt

By the way, first Bayan said it was raining hard on pit lane, and then he said it was getting heavier, maybe he mean pit lane and Charles thought it was the whole track? And that was miss communication?
FORZA FERRARI!