2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Rikhart
Rikhart

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Juzh wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 22:45
AR3-GP wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 22:32
I agree that they were hindered a lot by the wet FP3. This means it's probably not as bad as it looks. The car isn't lacking downforce. It's lacking balance. This is masked over 1 lap on softs but generally there is an inherent understeer which has been there and rearing it's head from time to time since 2022.

Hungary update needs to be 3 tenths.
Yeah, pure downforce is not the problem, I believe RB20 is still the best in this area. It lacks speed 130-220 kmh corners. Flexi wings doing wonders for merc and mclaren in those ranges, able to keep AOE without causing too much drag elsewhere.

On hards verstappen was able to take as much if not more kerb in vale chicane than norris, and was in fact gaining few tenths there. In general car balance looked reasonable during last stint. I guess it's something at least.
Yes exactly this, I feel that if RedBull can make a properly integrated, good flexing wing, they will clean the floor with the opposition once again.

organic

Sergej
Sergej

organic wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 23:34
https://i.imgur.com/TmdVauF.jpeg
well better they pulled this in Austria lol

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 23:18
Sergej wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 23:11
wondering what can be this mythological Budapest upgrade ?

floor ? updated in Silverstone
sidepod ? Barcelona
new front wing ? came in Imola

honestly the car went through a proper updating program, even though the laptime improvement was not massive, so I'm very curious to see what this package will include; wondering if we are not deluding ourselves after all the talk about this upgrade.
I'm skeptical as well, but there is a filming day this week so there must be something important to verify. Mercedes brought a new front wing and a suspension revision which transformed their car. Dr Obbs insist that the "major" one has not arrived yet.
It's likely that Mercedes was in a similar situation to Ferrari in 2018 where the performance of the car massively improved after they fixed an issue with a new floor.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Xyz22 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 00:28
AR3-GP wrote:
Sergej wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 23:11
wondering what can be this mythological Budapest upgrade ?

floor ? updated in Silverstone
sidepod ? Barcelona
new front wing ? came in Imola

honestly the car went through a proper updating program, even though the laptime improvement was not massive, so I'm very curious to see what this package will include; wondering if we are not deluding ourselves after all the talk about this upgrade.
I'm skeptical as well, but there is a filming day this week so there must be something important to verify. Mercedes brought a new front wing and a suspension revision which transformed their car. Dr Obbs insist that the "major" one has not arrived yet.
It's likely that Mercedes was in a similar situation to Ferrari in 2018 where the performance of the car massively improved after they fixed an issue with a new floor.
Not saying the floor doesn't matter, but Mercedes had a massive philosophy change to their front wing in Canada. They went from having 2 flaps with a loophole, to having 3 flaps like everyone else. Aston Martin also brought a front wing to Silverstone as their only update and it transformed their car.

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 00:31
Xyz22 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 00:28
AR3-GP wrote:

Not saying the floor doesn't matter, but Mercedes had a massive philosophy change to their front wing in Canada. They went from having 2 flaps with a loophole, to having 3 flaps like everyone else. Aston Martin also brought a front wing to Silverstone which transformed their car.
Yeah, sorry my post wasn't specifically about the floor, just that with a single change they gained a massive amount of laptime.

Mercedes made a colossal jump. Usually a FW can't provide such an increase in performance, which means the previous one was slowing down the car massively for whatever reason. This means that the car itself had significant "unexpressed" potential.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

"We lost the race in the first stint because Max had a lot of graining on mediums," Marko explained. "On top of that, he lost an awful lot of time on a wet track, which is normally his strength. The tyres didn't work, but I have to thank our people for the pit stops and strategy. Everything was right, including the hard tyres in the final stint. We were two laps short of beating Hamilton."
Graining on the medium tires.

Overheating the fronts on the inters.

https://racingnews365.nl/marko-verklaar ... eningsfase

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

This reminded me a little bit of the 2021 Russian GP. They had no pace there but pulled off 2nd place.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Something I noted was that a tear off was stuck in Ver's rear wing during the first stint. It was removed during the first pit stop.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The pace was comparable to Piastri in the final stint:

For some reason, Piastri was pushing very hard after his pitstop despite being in no-mans land. Pushing in the corners based on f1tv and high power mode according to telemetry (similar to Ver).

I'm not sure how long Ver could have sustained this pace as this was only 12 laps.

Sergej
Sergej

In fact I didn't understand why yesterday everyone was mad with Piastri's pace as he was mega fast, during race I checked constantly the gap with Max and it was always about 10-11-12s, from the pit till the end; Max's pace on hard was very good yesterday.

I read from AMuS that in the first stint he lacked front downforce (this could explain graining) and they fixed this at the pit, maybe overcorrecting (then why overheating the inters).

johnny vee

I'm looking forward to Hungary, hopefully the upgrades will work well.
Any solid news on if Verstappen will take an engine penalty in Spa. I need to start planning for my fantasy team to make the right changes in Hungary and then in Spa to have Max and Redbull if Max is taking the engine penalty there. Please help guys. Thank you.
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

CjC
CjC

Again is doing a filming day in the 2024 car this week at Silverstone- could be a pre-Hungary run for a new update?
Horner was reffering to it as an ‘aero’ run rather than the official ‘filming day’

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/red-b ... /10632975/

Also Perez has a looming performance clause :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

Xyz22
Xyz22

Jesus Verstappen was even slower than Leclerc when the rain started to fall in the first stint. What sort of a diabolical setup RB cooked this weekend?

Cassius
Cassius

Xyz22 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 11:24
Jesus Verstappen was even slower than Leclerc when the rain started to fall in the first stint. What sort of a diabolical setup RB cooked this weekend?
Max requested 4 more clicks on the FW for the 2nd stint. It was an error setup wise. Strange this was not detected on the lap to the grid. In the first laps you could already see the car would not turn in the slower sections.

This lack of front led to the graining, higher deg, resulting in slow laps just before the switch to inters.

The pace on inters could be explained again by tyre pressures. He lost when it was wetter, and started gaining significantly just before the switch back to slicks.