2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Luscion
Luscion

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

After finding the right path in terms of development, Mercedes has accelerated its update efforts.

New updates are coming to both Hungary and Belgium.

Plans to develop the W15 gradually; car development won't stop in the second half

mkay
mkay

And Mercedes has the most CFD/wind tunnel allocation of the top 4 teams.

Looking good over the next couple months. Belgium will truly test the car's aero efficiency, though looking back at Silverstone, it's quite clear Mercedes made some decent inroads there.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Yep, meanwhile Ferrari are in a nightmare situation where they somehow have the worst performance out of the teams fighting each other at the top, yet also have the second to least amount of resources available to them to develop a comeback not just this year, but for next year too.

Merc have definitely had their McLaren in 2023 moment and now it's down to who is going to develop the most weaknesses out of the car till year end.

zibby43 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 03:33
214270 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 00:47
We have to discuss the pace. From a clear deficit, they went pound-4-pound against the benchmarks; how does that happen?
I think part of it is their new front suspension component. I think it has helped them broaden the setup window tremendously. The rest is just constant cohesive development for weeks and weeks now. Marginal gains everywhere and each part correlating with their sim tools and adding performance.

Toto described development as chugging along like the pre-ground effect days (paraphrasing). Then there are the weekend-to-weekend factors that can play a role. The temperatures helped Merc a bit in Silverstone. The fact that the RB has become a bit of a tire muncher because it now *has* to be quick in quali or it will be shuffled down 4-5 grid spots. They only used to have to worry about LEC.

Just a few thoughts.

I said it previously, but Hungary is tailor-made for Merc. The track, with these modern cars, is essentially all just medium-speed (and some slow-speed) corners. It was completely resurfaced in 2016 and is still nice and smooth. Should be strong there.

Spa will be a huge indicator of how far Merc have come in the efficiency department.
That’s the bulge on the top of the nose you’re referring to? OK, that makes sense.

As for Hungary & other upcoming tracks, I hope Merc are in the mix. I’m not 1 for predictions, I just hope the positivity is sustained.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

What could be possible upgrades for Hungary race?

Xyz22
Xyz22

I feel sorry for Hamilton fans. His decision to move to Ferrari was not the right one after all.
It's likely that MB will compete for the title next year.

SiLo

Xyz22 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 13:37
I feel sorry for Hamilton fans. His decision to move to Ferrari was not the right one after all.
why is my knee suddenly jerking?
Felipe Baby!

Dunlay
Dunlay

Formula 1 fan wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 12:49
What could be possible upgrades for Hungary race?
Zero pods. You heard it first here. :lol:

Luscion
Luscion

Xyz22 wrote:
i dont think so, its far too early to say Ferrari wont be back in contention for wins this season or what the pecking order will be next year. Just 5 races ago Merc were 4th fastest in no mans land, then in the last 4 races they've gotten 2 poles, 2 wins, 4 podiums. things change quickly in F1
Last edited by Luscion on 08 Jul 2024, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

DGP123
DGP123

Xyz22 wrote:
🤦 we’ve got no idea who will win the next f1 race, let alone the pecking order in 25’, or, 26’, with an entire new regulation.

cplchanb
cplchanb

DGP123 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 15:45
Xyz22 wrote:
🤦 we’ve got no idea who will win the next f1 race, let alone the pecking order in 25’, or, 26’, with an entire new regulation.
everyone said the same thing for ham in 2012 when he moved to merc... look how that went.
i have a feeling there is a chance for a schumacher like renaissance if they sort out their --- strat dept and dont regress on car development

justin2102
justin2102

cplchanb wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 16:41
DGP123 wrote:
Xyz22 wrote:
everyone said the same thing for ham in 2012 when he moved to merc... look how that went.
i have a feeling there is a chance for a schumacher like renaissance if they sort out their --- strat dept and dont regress on car development
The difference between now and 2012 is that he is going to Ferrari and i think i speak for most of us when i say Mercedes is a much more sustainable team in terms of development plus i find Ferrari clumsy in the way they go about things and the recent events of their technical director Cardile leaving and Fred filling his shoes confirms it and its just real funny i mean its the same way Binotto run his ship and look where he ended up.

rijtuig
rijtuig

Sure, I guess you have the same information, knowledge and people around as Lewis does. Should've listened to you, darnit.

Luscion
Luscion

justin2102 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 16:51
cplchanb wrote:
DGP123 wrote:

The difference between now and 2012 is that he is going to Ferrari and i think i speak for most of us when i say Mercedes is a much more sustainable team in terms of development plus i find Ferrari clumsy in the way they go about things and the recent events of their technical director Cardile leaving and Fred filling his shoes confirms it and its just real funny i mean its the same way Binotto run his ship and look where he ended up.
Do we know if Cardile quit or was let go? same thing happened with Merc and their technical director Elliot where he left mid season. With Sainz saying they found the issues with the upgrade could be a case of them cleaning house like Merc. They're still getting Serra in 3 months who was supposed to replace Cardile anyways. Fred is only dealing with the chassis not the entire TD role and iirc he does have engineer experience.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Luscion wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 16:57
justin2102 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 16:51
cplchanb wrote:

Do we know if Cardile quit or was let go? same thing happened with Merc and their technical director Elliot where he left mid season. With Sainz saying they found the issues with the upgrade could be a case of them cleaning house like Merc. They're still getting Serra in 3 months who was supposed to replace Cardile anyways. Fred is only dealing with the chassis not the entire TD role and iirc he does have engineer experience.
Ferrari is Ferrari and will always do Ferrari things. Schumacher era was a blip, an exception to the rule. It's not going to happen ever again. Don't listen to me, wait and see where Newey is going to join and it won't be Ferrari and there are reasons. I don't think Lewis expects to win titles at Ferrari either. He knows it more than anyone. It's a good retirement plan with a truck load of money. He didn't have a choice after Toto offered him 1+1 year contract and Lewis expected longer term. Ferrari offered him and he took it. There isn't much to think about it.