2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djones
djones

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

McLaren, a team so used to being midfield they don’t know how to maximise points for a championship.

I pray Norris loses the championship by 7 points and they have to live with today forever.

That goes for Norris too for not growing a pair.

Avocado
Avocado

12 races to go. If they are going to keep up the development pace and continue to be dominant, they will have to make a decision very, VERY quickly. Throwing points away like this is crazy.

wickedz50
wickedz50

My POV the eyes should be on the WDC at any cost. A win for Norris here still is a long shot at the WDC for this year. Both drivers has to work together for the bigger picture. The RBR is still super fast and in Max's hand it will be winning many more races. The team should thank LH for his defensive drive to keep charging Max behind on 2 key situation. The day Norris can defend his position against Max like what LH did today then I am sure he will be the WDC.
None the less the job is done 1-2. Hope that Spa will be as competitive as today. A RBR 1-2 there will be again be a tough ask for Mclaren.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

proteus wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 16:59
Darth-Piekus wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 16:56
Can someone explain to me what happened and they had to switch places?
Norris got the undercut twice and drove off. Aparently they had some sort of a deal at the start of the race. I would guess firts corner standing.

It didnt go well with Senna and Prost in the past. But Norris sticked to the deal though.
Not sure there was a deal, at a point in the race, when Lando closed to 1.3secs he was told he could race the papaya car
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

leblanc
leblanc

Dimond wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:05
proteus wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
It didnt go well with Senna and Prost in the past. But Norris sticked to the deal though.
It did go well with Hakkinen and Coulthard though
Coulthard said himself Dennis eventually intervened and he didn't want to lose his drive lol

organic

Bizarre to not prioritize Norris

Respect to him for agreeing to team orders not sure I would :mrgreen:
Last edited by organic on 21 Jul 2024, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.

Emag
Emag

Honestly, this team continues to piss me off strategy-wise.

Props to the engineering team, they have done an outstanding job to develop this car. Taking a comfortable 1-2 on track-conditions at which Ferrari would have won by a landslide earlier in the season is just impressive. Today proved the car has no real big weakness. On cooler temps it might have been an easier win, but the pace was good enough anyway.

But the strategy department on the other hand ... yikes.

Baffling decision after baffling decision. It's been a couple of races in a row now, they should really start to do something about it. What a mess today. Gifting the 2nd car an undercut to "protect" against an inexistent threat, and then begging the drivers to reset the order for 20 laps. I really can't think of any reasonable line of thought which can lead them to take that decision. Oscar deserved the win today. He got the position at the start, and apart from his mistake which cost ~4s in the second stint, he had the pace to keep it. It would have been a very tall order for Lando to get that position on track with a 0.2-0.3s second advantage in the final stint, especially if he had had some gap to close on top of the overtake.

But a deserved win and an impressive 1-2 turns into disappointment for both drivers because they once again have managed a race in the worst possible manner you could think of.

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:14
proteus wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Norris got the undercut twice and drove off. Aparently they had some sort of a deal at the start of the race. I would guess firts corner standing.

Not sure there was a deal, at a point in the race, when Lando closed to 1.3secs he was told he could race the papaya car
Think the deal is that they will make strategic decisions that take from one driver and give to another to protect the team, but if required you give it back.

It works normally, but not when our drivers are fighting fir the win. Temptation and competitiveness is high. A new approach is required. I think they underestimated this.
Last edited by mwillems on 21 Jul 2024, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

thestig84
thestig84

Wow even after a 1-2 this place is to be avoided 🙄.
Stop criticising. Stop thinking the drivers WC would be in the bag with 7 extra points 🙄. Be happy for a change. Enjoy the 1-2.
Last edited by thestig84 on 21 Jul 2024, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

bauc

Emag wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:18
Honestly, this team continues to piss me off strategy-wise.

Props to the engineering team, they have done an outstanding job to develop this car. Taking a comfortable 1-2 on track-conditions at which Ferrari would have won by a landslide earlier in the season is just impressive. Today proved the car has no real big weakness. On cooler temps it might have been an easier win, but the pace was good enough anyway.

But the strategy department on the other hand ... yikes.

Baffling decision after baffling decision. It's been a couple of races in a row now, they should really start to do something about it. What a mess today. Gifting the 2nd car an undercut to "protect" against an inexistent threat, and then begging the drivers to reset the order for 20 laps. I really can't think of any reasonable line of thought which can lead them to take that decision. Oscar deserved the win today. He got the position at the start, and apart from his mistake which cost ~4s in the second stint, he had the pace to keep it. It would have been a very tall order for Lando to get that position on track with a 0.2-0.3s second advantage in the final stint, especially if he had had some gap to close on top of the overtake.

But a deserved win and an impressive 1-2 turns into disappointment for both drivers because they once again have managed a race in the worst possible manner you could think of.
=D> Agree 100% with this!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Dimond
Dimond

The team's chances for WDC have become lower today, but chances for WCC are instead higher, as Oscar will gain more confidence with his first win.

Marc.W

wickedz50 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:13
My POV the eyes should be on the WDC at any cost. A win for Norris here still is a long shot at the WDC for this year. Both drivers has to work together for the bigger picture. The RBR is still super fast and in Max's hand it will be winning many more races. The team should thank LH for his defensive drive to keep charging Max behind on 2 key situation. The day Norris can defend his position against Max like what LH did today then I am sure he will be the WDC.
None the less the job is done 1-2. Hope that Spa will be as competitive as today. A RBR 1-2 there will be again be a tough ask for Mclaren.
I disagree, the team should always have eyes on the WCC, the WDC comes with it, Max is still over 3 race wins ahead on points, if by some chance that Lando misses out on the WDC this year by less than 7 points, then yes, we can come back to the call today, but realistically that isn't going to happen and we scored the maximum possible today for the more important WCC.

stonehenge
stonehenge

There are 11 races left. If Norris finishes first in every race and Verstappen only second, he would gain 66 points. That's not enough. In other words, they need to make a decision now on whether they're going for it or not because the only way to beat Max in the WDC will be to have both drivers work together to help Norris. Piastri is too far back, so it's completely fair to put your chances on Norris. They have a real shot at this. The difference between 1st and 3rd is 10 points. That's a whole lot, and they WILL have races coming up where both McLarens are faster than Verstappen. But they need to make that call now and run with it. Otherwise they're throwing away a chance to win the WDC that they may not get again so quickly.

Dimond
Dimond

thestig84 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:19
Wow even after a 1-2 this place is to be avoided 🙄.
Stop criticising. Stop thinking the drivers WC would be in the bag with 7 extra points 🙄. Be happy for a change. Enjoy the 1-2.
Maybe because there are more fans of Lando than of Oscar

Avocado
Avocado

thestig84 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:19
Stop criticising. Stop thinking the drivers WC would be in the bag with 7 extra points 🙄.
What the hell are you talking about? Yes, every single point counts. There are still 300 points available, but in the end only 1 can be decisive.