2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Gun
Big Gun

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

-wkst- wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 18:50
Well, ALO was dead slow on the softs, normally the team should have reacted earlier to let STR by. I don’t see the big quality difference since a couple of races. If ALO continues in such a Form, he should remember his own words. „First one to raise his hand“. Looks more like VET before his retirement right now. As a diehard ALO Fan, this is hard to watch.
Maybe watch the race..... and listen to the team radio. Alonso was fuming after pitting after 7 laps, he was trying to look after the used Softs, then was told to pit and went half a sec faster on his inlap, only to come out already being undercut because the others pitted a lap earlier, so common sense would say its too late to pit and stay out and run your race.
Stroll at the start is often close to Alonso but burns his tyres and drops back as the stint go longer as Alonso is looking long term.
On the Mediums Alonso was faster than Stroll who himself had 7 lap newer Mediums..... Alonso was doing good times on the Mediums and wanted to stay out longer so he could have fresh Hards for the last stint, but they pitted him early again and was Behind Ricciardo, so he had to push his Hards early to pass Ricciardo, then chased down Yuki from like 10 seconds down to 1.5 sec but he took to much out of them, while Stroll had 10 lap fresher tyres, so Alonso let him past to let him use his fresh Hards to pass Yuki but failed.
If they had given Alonso, Strolls strategy he would of easily ended up in front of Yuki.

Alonso and Ricciardo had horrible team strategy's.

More important the AM is crap.

BRING ON NEWEY!

-wkst-
-wkst-

Big Gun wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:23
-wkst- wrote:
Well, ALO was dead slow on the softs, normally the team should have reacted earlier to let STR by. I don’t see the big quality difference since a couple of races. If ALO continues in such a Form, he should remember his own words. „First one to raise his hand“. Looks more like VET before his retirement right now. As a diehard ALO Fan, this is hard to watch.
Maybe watch the race..... and listen to the team radio. Alonso was fuming after pitting after 7 laps, he was trying to look after the used Softs, then was told to pit and went half a sec faster on his inlap, only to come out already being undercut because the others pitted a lap earlier, so common sense would say its too late to pit and stay out and run your race.
Stroll at the start is often close to Alonso but burns his tyres and drops back as the stint go longer as Alonso is looking long term.
On the Mediums Alonso was faster than Stroll who himself had 7 lap newer Mediums..... Alonso was doing good times on the Mediums and wanted to stay out longer so he could have fresh Hards for the last stint, but they pitted him early again and was Behind Ricciardo, so he had to push his Hards early to pass Ricciardo, then chased down Yuki from like 10 seconds down to 1.5 sec but he took to much out of them, while Stroll had 10 lap fresher tyres, so Alonso let him past to let him use his fresh Hards to pass Yuki but failed.
If they had given Alonso, Strolls strategy he would of easily ended up in front of Yuki.

BRING ON NEWEY!
And once again, what’s the point in protecting the tyres doing high 25s? That’s senseless because it is just too slow overall. He was saving but was dead slow too. STR simply had more pace in the first stint, once ALO boxed he did constant laps in the 24s, even driving away from others. I highly doubt that ALO could have done constant 24s…

With reversed roles the forum would be full of comments why there was no team order in favor of ALO in the first stint because STR is so slow…
Last edited by -wkst- on 21 Jul 2024, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.

Big Gun
Big Gun

-wkst- wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:06
Rikrikrik wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 18:58
-wkst- wrote:
Alonso was slow on soft because he was saving his tyres, he could finish ahead stroll without that terrible strategy
Sorry, but that wasn’t only managing. STR was immediately more than 1 sec quicker once ALO boxed. There’s no sense to manage at such an intense because everyone behind you will just do the undercut…
Stroll starting pushing cos he was probably gunna pit on the next lap, but after seeing Alonso in traffic the team changed it. Alonso was annoyed because he was tyre saving hoping to get 15-20 laps on the Softs in the first stint.
Of course Alonso could have gone a lot faster, because of the late call to pit he didnt even get the chance to push hard on the Softs and left time on the table.

Big Gun
Big Gun

-wkst- wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:34
Big Gun wrote:
-wkst- wrote:

BRING ON NEWEY!
And once again, what’s the point in protecting the tyres doing high 25s? That’s senseless because it is just too slow overall. He was saving but was dead slow too. STR simply had more pace in the first stint, once ALO boxed he did constant laps in the 24s, even driving away from others. I highly doubt that ALO could have done constant 24s…
We never go the chance to see how the stint would of unfolded, if I had to guess I'd say Alonso would of started pulling away because of how he nurses his tyres, if thats wrong then why was Alonso faster than Stroll on Mediums despite his tyres being 7 laps older?

-wkst-
-wkst-

I can’t answer you why ALO was quicker on mediums, I can’t answer you either why he was so slow on softs. I can only tell you that noone manages the tyres, driving voluntarily over a sec slower. Tyre Management only makes sense to a certain extent.

RoadRep
RoadRep

Big Gun wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:49
What a horrible strategy for Alonso, pits him on lap 7 to cover the undercut ( one lap to late), come out in traffic, then does a long stint on the M tyres and was faster than Stroll who was on 7 laps newer M, Alonso was happy on the M and wanted to stay out because his pace was good and he didnt want to do many laps on the H tyre, but they still boxed him early again only to be behind Ricciardo, forcing him to push early on the Hards to pass, then his tyres are cooked trying to catch Yuki, Stroll on 10 lap fresher tyres, is let through from Alonso to chase Yuki (as he had new tyres to catch him) and after failing to pass Yuki, Stroll refused to give Alonso back the place lol.
Doubt Alonso cares about 1 point, but Alonso wont forget that.....
Exactly. I had to watch last 2 laps on Stroll's onboard to confirm what was everyone's thought and no surprise there: he was told to hold before the line, no pressure behind... just went on and ignored his engineer. No word about it after that. Kinda difficult to root for the guy.
Alonso was improving lap times in the first stint, made him pit: "are you sure about that?
tyres feeling good..." Once more he let them know he was not sold on the strategy. Went in anyway: "you are good for Lance he's 2-3 tenths faster", "...are you overcutting me?" (or something like that) "no, no, he will come out a second behind"... Just ridiculous.
The F1TV commentary about Alonso's radio: "no matter how old he is, always acting like a teenager" (i probably misheard the first part, second one is surely word by word) What the actual f*** was that? We listen to so many childish radios, I never recall listening to that kind of words about any other driver. Alonso was pretty calm having into consideration the atrocious strategy, so I don't get It.
Second stint he destroyed Lance and then what happened at the end. He always nurses the tyres for the first laps and then goes up from there, but he had to make use of the fresh rubber to go up the field: "be careful with the front left". Nerve wrecking, this team! Aaah, next race we'll see what happens...

Nikosar
Nikosar

Big Gun wrote:
-wkst- wrote:

BRING ON NEWEY!
Even with Newey, the development for 2025 car already started. It will be for 2026 car.

In September another upgrade will come, then the new win tunnel will arrive.

Today target was score points with both cars, even with best strategy the aim was p 9 and p 10.

Nikosar
Nikosar

-wkst- wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:49
I can’t answer you why ALO was quicker on mediums, I can’t answer you either why he was so slow on softs. I can only tell you that noone manages the tyres, driving voluntarily over a sec slower. Tyre Management only makes sense to a certain extent.
On mediums, he had free air, but the car behaved better in medium. However, it wasn't enough. Perez, Ferraris and Russel were faster on the HARDs.

After pitting in lap 7 the race was over for him.

TLof
TLof

People still don't understand how Alonso operates in a race after all these years. He doesn't care about the gap to his team-mate. It makes no difference whether his team-mate is 5 or 15 seconds behind, provided the car in front of him is uncatchable (in this case Sainz). The strategy was to conserve the tyres and push late with the softs. They (AM) got scared of the undercut and forced him in (as Alonso said in an interview after the race, they even talked about it before the race and still decided against their intention. Simply unbelievable). And no, Stroll was not one second quicker. After Alonso started to push for the pitstop he immediately extended to 1.5 after Stroll was in DRS.

The strategy was so bad that it was even inferior to Tsunoda's one-stop strategy, which would have never worked. It is just madness how they worked out this race. They even went against Alonso's suggestion to keep going with the medium.

Kamel
Kamel

The team should stop carrying more softs than medium/hard. I hope race pace will progress soon.

mvfad

I suspect Alonso must be very regretful about renewing his contract with AMR so soon.

Nikosar
Nikosar

mvfad wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 21:04
I suspect Alonso must be very regretful about renewing his contract with AMR so soon.
Yes, it's a shame... only 23 million euros per season, not counting sponsors and advertising. He certainly regrets it. New Honda engine, new wind tunnel.

But it's fair to say that he expects a lot more, that's for sure. Last year, after Barcelona, he said “this will be my last race without a podium”....

diffuser

-wkst- wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:34
Big Gun wrote:
-wkst- wrote:

BRING ON NEWEY!

With reversed roles the forum would be full of comments why there was no team order in favor of ALO in the first stint because STR is so slow…
Wasn't like they asked Alonso to go flat out on the softs before pitting. So you don't know if his early pace was by design. In fact we know Alonso said they had lots of tire left.

Also he was controling the pace of everyone behind.

diffuser

Kamel wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 20:53
The team should stop carrying more softs than medium/hard. I hope race pace will progress soon.
Tire allocation is frozen at :
2 Hards
3 Med
8 Softs
For all race weekends.

-wkst-
-wkst-

TLof wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 20:43
People still don't understand how Alonso operates in a race after all these years. He doesn't care about the gap to his team-mate. It makes no difference whether his team-mate is 5 or 15 seconds behind, provided the car in front of him is uncatchable (in this case Sainz). The strategy was to conserve the tyres and push late with the softs. They (AM) got scared of the undercut and forced him in (as Alonso said in an interview after the race, they even talked about it before the race and still decided against their intention. Simply unbelievable). And no, Stroll was not one second quicker. After Alonso started to push for the pitstop he immediately extended to 1.5 after Stroll was in DRS.
Everybody knows that ALO manages all the time he can or there is no need to psh, especially at the beginning of the races. However this time it was managing combined with a very bad race pace. That was not the Fernando Alonso masterplan, he lost sometimes over 2 secs compared to the leaders per lap. I understand the team that this time they were afraid to be undercutted by nearly everybody.