2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Wouter wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 20:05
Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:26

It's not in his nature - he has to win everything, every time. Anything less is seen as a failure. Probably got that from his dad.

But the team need to take Max aside and have a quiet but very firm word with him.

Manage the points from here or you will risk losing the title even with your current lead. And swearing at us down the radio isn't going to help anyone so stop that too.
Is that so? Dr. Helmut Marko doesn't agree with that!
Marko admits mistake Red Bull: 'We completely underestimated that'

Marko admits Red Bull mistake at Hungary Grand Prix

At the German branch of Sky Sports, Marko admits that Red Bull's update package has not had the desired effect. The 81-year-old Austrian stresses that the updates did produce better lap times, but not as many as expected and certainly not as many as Max Verstappen had expected.
" We completely underestimated how difficult overtaking is here," he explains.
"We thought our speed advantage would be enough, but we couldn't overtake. That's why our strategy was wrong."
Marko isn't the team, as we have learned earlier this year.

It's the rest of the people who actually manage the races that matter and need to be respected by Max. GP, for example, shouldn't be expected to put up with the stuff that Max was shouting at him on the radio today. It's not his job to put up with petulance from a grown man.

You can disagree with the team over the radio in a civil manner. Lewis did it today by questioning the timing of pit stops. But he didn't swear and spit his dummy like Max did. Time for Max to grow up.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sergej
Sergej

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 20:11
Wouter wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

It's not in his nature - he has to win everything, every time. Anything less is seen as a failure. Probably got that from his dad.

But the team need to take Max aside and have a quiet but very firm word with him.

Manage the points from here or you will risk losing the title even with your current lead. And swearing at us down the radio isn't going to help anyone so stop that too.

At the German branch of Sky Sports, Marko admits that Red Bull's update package has not had the desired effect. The 81-year-old Austrian stresses that the updates did produce better lap times, but not as many as expected and certainly not as many as Max Verstappen had expected.
"We thought our speed advantage would be enough, but we couldn't overtake. That's why our strategy was wrong."

It's the rest of the people who actually manage the races that matter and need to be respected by Max. GP, for example, shouldn't be expected to put up with the stuff that Max was shouting at him on the radio today. It's not his job to put up with petulance from a grown man.

You can disagree with the team over the radio in a civil manner. Lewis did it today by questioning the timing of pit stops. But he didn't swear and spit his dummy like Max did. Time for Max to grow up.
I agree, I root for Max and I didn't like what I saw today, I also think this behaviour is ruining his legacy as one of the great of this sport.

Wouter

Dunlay wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 19:07
A comfortable 3rd, regardless of the strategy, was on cards, until Max exploded. The car had comfortable pace for overtaking the Ferrari and Mercedes. Max messed up an overtake in the previous lap and ran wide and blamed the brake bias. He ignored the instructions from GP to go easy on the tyres for the first couple of laps on, but he used his own anger to invalidate it and take life out of tyres. Extremely poor racing skills for the day.

The strategy gamble was to see how to win against two McLarens. Simply following McLarens strategy or to cover Lewis wouldn't have given any better result.
I fully disagree and so did Horner and Marko!!

Hannah and the team and the updates let Max down this time. His anger was justified.
The Power of Dreams!

Dunlay
Dunlay

If I was Hannah Schmitz, I would have thrown my headset today and walked out of Red Bull, instead of putting up with a spoilt brat. I could easily be picked up by McLaren or Mercedes for a far bigger pay.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Wouter wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 20:18
Dunlay wrote:
A comfortable 3rd, regardless of the strategy, was on cards, until Max exploded. The car had comfortable pace for overtaking the Ferrari and Mercedes. Max messed up an overtake in the previous lap and ran wide and blamed the brake bias. He ignored the instructions from GP to go easy on the tyres for the first couple of laps on, but he used his own anger to invalidate it and take life out of tyres. Extremely poor racing skills for the day.

The strategy gamble was to see how to win against two McLarens. Simply following McLarens strategy or to cover Lewis wouldn't have given any better result.

Hannah and the team and the updates let Max down this time. His anger was justified.
Marko is stupid. He would always speak for his loyal puppy. Hardly surprising. He said their race pace looked great and the car was set up for race and that McLaren was running full power in FP2. All kinds if nonsense. Please don't quote him as a reliable or authentic source of information.
Last edited by Dunlay on 21 Jul 2024, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.

dialtone
dialtone

Wouter wrote:
Dunlay wrote:

Lol no it was not. He was in a fight of 4 v 1, all trying to beat RBR while he's leading the WDC and has no team mate to help.

The strategy team is supposed to come up with a magic rabbit out of the hat strategy to allow him to win while he's racing alone? If he wants to get angry at someone it should be at his team mate, who he defended just a few days ago.

His team didn't magically become mediocre while he's the only one pushing out there. He raced with little maturity and even some mediocrity in his wheel to wheel racing. He's alone and needs to take what he's given, yelling at the team that is actively trying to help him is asinine.

Wouter

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 20:11
Wouter wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Probably you missed it but Marko is more in charge now these days.

"You can disagree with the team over the radio in a civil manner."

You are absolutely right @Just a fan!

Max should have said, “GP my friend, please tell Hannah that I don't like the fact that she let me undercut so that I end up in the middle of traffic with a not so fast car that I can't overtake with here, because the update package gives too much downforce on the rear, causing me to understeer all the time while the updates were supposed to generate more downforce on the front. Would you like to do that GP? Thanks a lot!”

And when the same thing happened for the second time, “GP my friend, please tell Hannah one more time that I don't like the fact that she let me undercut for the second time so that I end up in the middle of traffic with a not so fast car that I can't overtake with here, because the update package gives too much downforce on the rear, causing me to understeer all the time while the intention was that the updates would generate more downforce on the front. Would you please do that GP? Thank you very much!” #-o #-o #-o

Horner said in front of the camera he could fully understand Max his anger because they made the wrong decisions which ruins his race and the updates didn't do what they supposed to do.
The Power of Dreams!

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:48
Jdn1327 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:46
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:12

You can be utterly ruthless on track without having to resort to a plethora of expletives every radio comms.
Yeah I guess so. But I like the drivers having emotion. Yes I also believe in professionalism but it's nice to hear emotion from time to time.
We aren’t that far from agreeing. It’s happening too much with VER and I struggle showing it to my 9yo son and I’m actually ashamed of the amount of ranting. (He’s a VER fan because of his Dutch roots). I just find the whole thing utterly distasteful
Yeah in terms of being a role model I agree 100%. On the flip side...showing that much frustration during a race must be motivating for the competitors on track. He gives away too much. Not much more than other drivers but when Max is unhappy he seems to make more rash decisions.

PierreW
PierreW

dialtone wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 20:24
Wouter wrote:
Dunlay wrote:

Lol no it was not. He was in a fight of 4 v 1, all trying to beat RBR while he's leading the WDC and has no team mate to help.

The strategy team is supposed to come up with a magic rabbit out of the hat strategy to allow him to win while he's racing alone? If he wants to get angry at someone it should be at his team mate, who he defended just a few days ago.

His team didn't magically become mediocre while he's the only one pushing out there. He raced with little maturity and even some mediocrity in his wheel to wheel racing. He's alone and needs to take what he's given, yelling at the team that is actively trying to help him is asinine.

The team is at fault, not Max.

The team had only one job to do today, secure a third place. And they have been unable to do that.

If Max had not been undercut twice by Hamilton and once by Leclerc, Max would have easily drove the car in the third place.

Red Bull strategy team and Hannah came up with a fantasist strategy based on giving their opponents 6-7 seconds advantage in addition of the position, in one of the hardest track on the calendar for overtaking.

This was criminally bad and incompetent and they should apologize to Max for this bad show. Max was too vocal about it, but I understand perfectly a driver who is extracting the most performance from what has become an average car being angry about losing positions due to extremely bad strategy calls.

It wasn't just bad, it was terrible. Their bet made no sense at all. It's like giving position at Monaco. A disaster.

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

PierreW wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 18:33
Sergej wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 18:29
that camera shot on Hannah was quite telling about the strategy today

Did we finally got the answer on what were they trying toa chieve with this retarded strategy?

I mean, letting Max being undercuted twice by Hamilton and once by Leclerc on one of the most difficult track regarding to overtaking was one of the biggest mistake they could make on strategy.

The car wasn't fast enough and when the McLaren started 1-2 and after giving back the position, the only place they could achieve was third, and they blew it with the dumbest strategy possible.

Hannah and the team let Max down this time. His anger was justified.
Traditionally, Hungary is a circuit where a tyre advantage is more exaggerated at this track because of the deg. Especially in the middle sector. Its funny for this race? Despite the temperatures the newer tyre never gave that big advantage it had in recent years.

Wouter

Dunlay wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 20:20
If I was Hannah Schmitz, I would have thrown my headset today and walked out of Red Bull, instead of putting up with a spoilt brat. I could easily be picked up by McLaren or Mercedes for a far bigger pay.
Hanna said she was sorry to make the wrong calls but you know it better? You think she must leave because Max?! #-o
Did Verstappen go too far in his criticism of Red Bull and Lambiase? Horner responds

It was a frustrating day for Red Bull Racing at the Hungaroring. The Austrian Formula One team saw neither driver finish on the podium, despite the updates it had introduced to the RB20. Team boss Christian Horner therefore fully understands Max Verstappen's frustrated radio messages towards his team.

Horner understands angry reaction Verstappen

After the F1 race, Horner is asked if he thought the radio communication between Verstappen and his race engineer Gianpiero Lambiase went too far. [b"Max was frustrated, which is understandable.[/b] He has a direct line of communication with his engineer. This is something they discuss together," the team boss explained.

The Dutchman did not hold back, not shying away from foul language. "Everyone sees that we need to perform better. Everyone is working hard on that. We will have all discussions behind closed doors."

At one point, radio communication between Verstappen and Lambiase seemed to escalate somewhat
when the engineer said it was "childish" to complain about the collision with Lewis Hamilton via board radio.
"I don't think GP was talking about Max at that moment. I think he was referring to others on the radio complaining about penalties.
I don't think GP was referring to Max at that moment," the Red Bull team boss clarified.

"Others are clearly going for penalties, because clearly the stewards also listen to the radio.
They [Verstappen and Lambiase] have been together for eight years. There are things we should have done better in the race today.
But that is something we will talk about as a team," Horner said.
The Power of Dreams!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The RB19 (VCARB) did a 1 stop race with no tire deg today. Incredible.

To me it's clear that Red Bull went the wrong way with the suspension changes for this season (more extreme, more a-arm inclination) and it's the root cause of the tire overheating and inability to ride curbs. They are trying to compensate with aero but this isn't the real solution to the problem.

We will get our confirmation with the RB21 but they know the suspension of the RB20 has not worked and that the suspension of the RB19 still whispers to the tires in the hands of the VCARB team.

Sergej
Sergej

I mean, one thing doesn't exclude the other imho, strategy was wrong and Max was a step too far with all those rants over the radio; a bad day at the office for everyone, let's thank McLaren dumbness for handing us 7 points and move on to Spa, hoping they all will learn from today.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Max's fault for getting too hot headed. Unforgivable to hand hamilton a podium.

PierreW
PierreW

Sergej wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 21:14
I mean, one thing doesn't exclude the other imho, strategy was wrong and Max was a step too far with all those rants over the radio; a bad day at the office for everyone, let's thank McLaren dumbness for handing us 7 points and move on to Spa, hoping they all will learn from today.
It would have been better if he was able to keep his cool more, but we known that he needs to express himself. You will not change him.

The thing is that we need to understand that he is currently trying to salvage a WDC with a far inferior car, which evolve negatively, that he is the only driver bringing home points and good places with this car. He does not need any handicap with a bad strategy when the car has such a low level of performance.