2024 Visa Cash App RB Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
runningmanz
runningmanz

Re: 2024 Visa Cash App RB Team

Bill wrote:
22 Jul 2024, 12:09
djos wrote:
22 Jul 2024, 10:50
Bill wrote:
22 Jul 2024, 10:33

team bosses are expected to do their part on pr nothing new there. early pitstop worked perfectly fine in Austria .the right strategy usually becomes apparent after a race.
The soft tire runners had no choice but to stop, Daniel had a tire life advantage that meant he could drive at race pace for many more laps. The team threw that advantage in the bin, as Yuki proved.
you moving in cycles. The pitstop was for track position to cover the likes of Haas and Williams cars that were significantly faster than vcarb in Silverstone so it made sence at the time. A similar strategy was deployed in imola i saw yuki pull overtake moves on opponents in middle of corner which was not easy track to overtake too. Races are not won or lost on strategy drivers still expected to do their bit on track .at redbull they expected Max to pull some overtake but he didnt like he usually does so his strat didnt work too.these thing happen.
This is nonsense. The team botched Dans strategy and basically put him in the slowest car on straights behind Kmag in the fastest. Go look at the speed trap figures. There was ZERO chance he was overtaking Kmag unless he made a mistake which he didn't. The terrible strategy call ruined his race.

Wouter

runningmanz wrote:
22 Jul 2024, 15:57
Bill wrote:
djos wrote:
22 Jul 2024, 10:50

The soft tire runners had no choice but to stop, Daniel had a tire life advantage that meant he could drive at race pace for many more laps. The team threw that advantage in the bin, as Yuki proved.
you moving in cycles. The pitstop was for track position to cover the likes of Haas and Williams cars that were significantly faster than vcarb in Silverstone so it made sence at the time. A similar strategy was deployed in imola i saw yuki pull overtake moves on opponents in middle of corner which was not easy track to overtake too. Races are not won or lost on strategy drivers still expected to do their bit on track .at redbull they expected Max to pull some overtake but he didnt like he usually does so his strat didnt work too.these thing happen.
This is nonsense. The team botched Dans strategy and basically put him in the slowest car on straights behind Kmag in the fastest. Go look at the speed trap figures. There was ZERO chance he was overtaking Kmag unless he made a mistake which he didn't. The terrible strategy call ruined his race.
Everyone is talking about how this strategy ruined Ricciardo's race. Everyone drove a two stopper! Yuki rode a one stopper, but had to take it easy with his tires. He finished 34 seconds behind Russell and Alonso and Stroll rode in his trunk. Who says that Ricciardo had passed Alonso and Stroll and if he had succeeded... he would have taken one point. Can you call this ruining a race?
By the way, Yuki drove an excellent race. When he got out he was in a lot of pain and walked away very carefully and slow from the car. His physio gave him a lot of galaxies before and after the race. He had a sore back and a bruised coccyx.
The Power of Dreams!

djos

Wouter wrote:
22 Jul 2024, 18:19
Everyone is talking about how this strategy ruined Ricciardo's race. Everyone drove a two stopper! Yuki rode a one stopper, but had to take it easy with his tires. He finished 34 seconds behind Russell and Alonso and Stroll rode in his trunk. Who says that Ricciardo had passed Alonso and Stroll and if he had succeeded... he would have taken one point. Can you call this ruining a race?
By the way, Yuki drove an excellent race. When he got out he was in a lot of pain and walked away very carefully and slow from the car. His physio gave him a lot of galaxies before and after the race. He had a sore back and a bruised coccyx.
Yuki did a great job, absolutely no question about it. Honestly, I was end more impressed when I found out from folk here that he pulled off a 1 stop strategy! A Very very, impressive drive!

But Daniel is right, both cars should have scored points!
Understandably, Ricciardo had a lot to say about the call after the race.

“Why they pitted me when they did at the beginning was, we followed the soft [tire-shod] cars in,” Ricciardo told assembled media.

“They’ve just come in, we have a clear track, and we decided to pit behind them and put ourselves in a DRS train, on the same tire — we’re all on a hard.

“That was… I’ve had a lot of races, and I’ve had a lot of frustrating ones, but that’s up there.

“We had the pace, and we basically gave Yuki the race that we had in front of us, and we both could have done that.

“And we didn’t.”
https://apple.news/AnIgNFWAHSBWq7W11YHDNgQ
Asked if he questioned the decision from the pit box, Ricciardo said he “didn’t have time.”

“It’s a late call — box, box, box — and you pit,” he explained. “But honestly as soon as I’m pulling in the pits I’m questioning it.

“But you know… you get called in Turn 13 and you have to react.

“We talk about strategies and that, but two cars jumped us at the start with a soft tire. That’s fine. Let them go. They pit and we follow them to then just be on their strategy.

“We would have had clear air and a chance to, I think, from what I understand, do Yuki’s race. So, yeah. I don’t know.”

Adding insult to injury was the fact that Ricciardo felt the team was solidly to blame for the poor call that cost them a points-paying finish, but he didn’t an apology.

“Honestly, I was expecting more,” he admitted.

“On the in-lap, I was waiting for, ‘Sorry, we --- up,’ and I didn’t get it. So that made me even more angry.”

Ricciardo reiterated several times to the media that he didn’t understand why VCARB had pitted so early rather than use up the medium tires. He also pointed out another element of the race that frustrated him: Being asked to continue fighting, despite his older tire.

“Like, Stroll’s catching me a second a lap and maybe more, and they’re saying, you know, it’s really important to keep him behind,” Riccardo said.

“What do you want me to do? You’ve pitted me so early, I’m on older tires.

“It’s like, so I’m also being expected to fight when we’re not really in a fight anymore, so that was also frustrating.
“There were times where it just felt like the bed was made.”
"In downforce we trust"

djos

On an interesting side note, @ispano6 found a story confirming that Daniel had reverted to the Miami spec car:

viewtopic.php?p=1234039#p1234039
When asked if the Hungaroring’s lower-speed layout is boosting RB after its difficult run of races since it introduced its problematic Barcelona upgrade, Bayer replied: "The slow corners here help us.

“Daniel's car, for example, was completely back to Miami spec. It really suited him there. Everything came together for him here. The high temperature, the soft tyre and then the car in Miami spec, and also our strength in slow corners, which was noticeable here."
No mention of what spec Yuki was running tho.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

Wouter wrote:
runningmanz wrote:
Bill wrote:

Ricciardo was stuck behind Kmag in the fastest car and then made to do an extra stop of course it was a terrible strategy. You do realise Vcarb was slowest through the speed traps right? Kmag was fastest and Alonso 3rd fastest. ZERO chance of Dan passing them esp that early full of fuel.

Yuki drove an exceptional race no question however in case you forgot Dan was in front of Yuki and already pulled well out of DRS range by the time they pitted him on lap 8. Given Dan was in front and the nature of the track it was likely he would finish ahead of Yuki if they were on the same strategy. Dan never got a chance to try it due to the botched strategy he got. He already proved he can do very long stints on the mediums such as last year not to mention is very quick at this track.

djos

Yep, Dan had every right to be angry with the team.

"In downforce we trust"

Wouter

runningmanz wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 11:22
Wouter wrote:
runningmanz wrote:
Ricciardo was stuck behind Kmag in the fastest car and then made to do an extra stop of course it was a terrible strategy. You do realise Vcarb was slowest through the speed traps right? Kmag was fastest and Alonso 3rd fastest. ZERO chance of Dan passing them esp that early full of fuel.

Yuki drove an exceptional race no question however in case you forgot Dan was in front of Yuki and already pulled well out of DRS range by the time they pitted him on lap 8.
Given Dan was in front and the nature of the track it was likely he would finish ahead of Yuki if they were on the same strategy.
Dan never got a chance to try it due to the botched strategy he got. He already proved he can do very long stints on the mediums such as last year not to mention is very quick at this track.
I didn't say VCARB didn't do anything wrong, but I wonder if Ricciardo could have been in the points with a one stopper,
because Yuki was able to keep Stroll and Alonso behind him for laps from lap 58 onwards, but I don't think that Ricciardo had succeeded.
Yuki immediately saved his white tires from lap 30, but Ricciardo did not do so and that resulted in him having worn tires at the end with slower lap times than Yuki and then he would never have been able to keep Allonso and Stroll behind him.
That's what I mean and now explained in a little more detail.

--------------------------- RICCIARDO ------------------------------- YUKI

The Power of Dreams!

djos

Even if they 2 stopped Dan inline with most cars in the top 10, Dan would have likely got 10th at worst IMO.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

Wouter wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 13:35
runningmanz wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 11:22
Wouter wrote:

Yuki drove an exceptional race no question however in case you forgot Dan was in front of Yuki and already pulled well out of DRS range by the time they pitted him on lap 8.
Given Dan was in front and the nature of the track it was likely he would finish ahead of Yuki if they were on the same strategy.
Dan never got a chance to try it due to the botched strategy he got. He already proved he can do very long stints on the mediums such as last year not to mention is very quick at this track.
I didn't say VCARB didn't do anything wrong, but I wonder if Ricciardo could have been in the points with a one stopper,
because Yuki was able to keep Stroll and Alonso behind him for laps from lap 58 onwards, but I don't think that Ricciardo had succeeded.
Yuki immediately saved his white tires from lap 30, but Ricciardo did not do so and that resulted in him having worn tires at the end with slower lap times than Yuki and then he would never have been able to keep Allonso and Stroll behind him.
That's what I mean and now explained in a little more detail.

--------------------------- RICCIARDO ------------------------------- YUKI

https://imgur.com/z9sR7aI.jpg
How could he go on a one stopper when they pitted him on lap 8?? On the other hand if he ran long on mediums from the start he was ahead of Yuki. He proved last year he can manage the tyres. Therefore it's likely he would have stayed ahead and both guys also probably scored points.

Some of the last 10 laps he had blue flags and it's reasonable to suggest also Dan backed off to save the PU as there was no chance of scoring points at that point.

Your not making much sense about Dan's worn tyres he was in a different situation not in defence mode. If Dan was on a one stopper he would have been managing more anyway like Yuki did. Dan proved at Miami he can defend a fast car for a long time.
Last edited by runningmanz on 23 Jul 2024, 15:13, edited 3 times in total.

Wouter

Tsunoda suffered staggering 68G impact in Hungary crash

VCARB reveal details of crash

In the aftermath of the incident, VCARB (Racing Bulls) have provided some insights:

“Our Japanese driver was on a blisteringly fast lap in the shoot-out for the top 10 places on the grid.

“But it came to a sudden and dramatic end, when he got one wheel on the wet grass at the exit to Turn 5,
totally destroying his VCARB 01.

“Truth be told, the subsequent red flag also spoilt Daniel’s chances of grabbing a higher grid slot.

“Thanks to the sport’s incredibly high safety standards, Yuki was able to walk away unscathed from this 68 g impact. And would, therefore, start the Grand Prix from tenth, one place behind Daniel.”

An impact of 68 G-force is a staggering figure, and explains why the Japanese driver was spotted limping as he exited his VCARB 01 after the chequered flag in Hungary.

Tsunoda was understandably shaken from a crash of such magnitude.

For reference, Romain Grosjean’s infamous incident in Bahrain was recorded at 67 Gs.

The 24-year-old’s ability to walk away from the crash and compete in the race on Sunday is a testament to F1’s safety standards.

Moreover, it is proof of Tsunoda’s tenacity as he continues putting together an impressive campaign.
The Power of Dreams!

djos

Ouch! That is a huge G loading! He’s lucky he didn’t suffer a brain injury.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

Yeah nasty crash. Even more G loading than Max' bad Silverstone crash. Glad that Yuki is ok and no long lasting effects hopefully.

djos

Amongst the plethora of stories criticising the RB strategy imposed on Daniel, I found this story with a good theoretical analysis of what was realistically possible for him:

Both drivers stopped within a lap of each other — Ricciardo on lap 28 and Tsunoda on lap 29 — and both took new hard tyres, giving us a useful comparison.

We’ll look at a 30-lap sample between laps 30 and 60 — after both drivers had completed their out-laps but before Ricciardo was forced to slow for blue flags.

Tsunoda started 16.3 seconds ahead of Ricciardo on lap 30.

That margin was reduced to 10.4 seconds by the end of lap 60.

Both drivers lost time battling other cars during this stint. Subtracting those from the race time gives Ricciardo an extra 1.5 seconds, theoretically reducing his deficit to just 8.9 seconds.

That represents a gain of 7.5 seconds on Tsunoda over the stint — or, in other words, 0.3 seconds per representative lap.

Now consider that Ricciardo was carrying the penalty of an extra pit stop, worth just over 21 seconds.

The Aussie had been ahead of Tsunoda when he made that unnecessary first tyre change. Had he stayed out instead, kept ahead of Tsunoda and used the same strategy, he would’ve theoretically ended up as much as 28 seconds ahead of him by the end of the race.

Ricciardo would’ve finished ninth, a few seconds behind George Russell but comfortably ahead of Tsunoda and the rest of the midfield.
This is pretty much inline with what I guesstimated in my head.

https://apple.news/AQ_fd0E1-Qby1aoL6Lig7Fw
"In downforce we trust"

vassilispapadop
vassilispapadop

if i may ask, why the analysis goes up to LAP60 and not LAP70(chequered flag)? Ultimately, the gap was over a pit stop between the two drivers.

EDIT: hypothetically, if no blue flags for RIC in the last 10 laps the gap could have been ~15seconds which is almost the same as it was on LAP30(16.3)
djos wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 08:23
Amongst the plethora of stories criticising the RB strategy imposed on Daniel, I found this story with a good theoretical analysis of what was realistically possible for him:

Both drivers stopped within a lap of each other — Ricciardo on lap 28 and Tsunoda on lap 29 — and both took new hard tyres, giving us a useful comparison.

We’ll look at a 30-lap sample between laps 30 and 60 — after both drivers had completed their out-laps but before Ricciardo was forced to slow for blue flags.

Both drivers lost time battling other cars during this stint. Subtracting those from the race time gives Ricciardo an extra 1.5 seconds, theoretically reducing his deficit to just 8.9 seconds.

That represents a gain of 7.5 seconds on Tsunoda over the stint — or, in other words, 0.3 seconds per representative lap.

Now consider that Ricciardo was carrying the penalty of an extra pit stop, worth just over 21 seconds.

The Aussie had been ahead of Tsunoda when he made that unnecessary first tyre change. Had he stayed out instead, kept ahead of Tsunoda and used the same strategy, he would’ve theoretically ended up as much as 28 seconds ahead of him by the end of the race.

Ricciardo would’ve finished ninth, a few seconds behind George Russell but comfortably ahead of Tsunoda and the rest of the midfield.

djos

vassilispapadop wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 08:48
if i may ask, why the analysis goes up to LAP60 and not LAP70(chequered flag)? Ultimately, the gap was over a pit stop between the two drivers.

EDIT: hypothetically, if no blue flags for RIC in the last 10 laps the gap could have been ~15seconds which is almost the same as it was on LAP30(16.3)
djos wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 08:23

Honestly, I’m not entirely sure why they chose that window. Perhaps due to the life of the hard tires being suggested as 30 laps, after that you are just losing a lot of performance?
"In downforce we trust"