2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Piastri was not gifted a win. He was leading easily for first two stints. He lost the lead due to the team deciding to be extra conservative and protect Lando against 5 second Hamilton undercut.

It is very unfair to call his win a gifted win. In a situation where the leading driver gets preference (over the team), I am 100% sure that Piastri would not let Lando undercut him. Problem with doing it that way is that if someone is close to second driver it can lead to that driver losing their position to the other team due to strategy. Do we want to team to be able to maximize results or that drivers worry about undercut from their own teammate?

McLaren made this a problem unnecessarily but it is good to see that the drivers are smart and fair enough to be able to put the interests of the team (protect driver under threat) before their own needs.

stewie325
stewie325

FittingMechanics wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 09:02
Piastri was not gifted a win. He was leading easily for first two stints. He lost the lead due to the team deciding to be extra conservative and protect Lando against 5 second Hamilton undercut.

It is very unfair to call his win a gifted win. In a situation where the leading driver gets preference (over the team), I am 100% sure that Piastri would not let Lando undercut him. Problem with doing it that way is that if someone is close to second driver it can lead to that driver losing their position to the other team due to strategy. Do we want to team to be able to maximize results or that drivers worry about undercut from their own teammate?

McLaren made this a problem unnecessarily but it is good to see that the drivers are smart and fair enough to be able to put the interests of the team (protect driver under threat) before their own needs.
Agree with everything apart from the last sentence.

Norris did absolutely nothing of the sort, by dragging out the whole scenario for ages. It was very petulant behaviour, and made a mockery of the team on public radio.

If it was unfair team orders like Rubens in Austria decades ago resulting in that farce, I'd understand. But Norris should be smart enough to know he was only leading because he got a 2 lap undercut completely unfairly to Piastri. The latter was more than capable of keeping the lead if pitted first.

I'm really surprised Norris isn't getting more stick for his behaviour and language on the radio...

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

It was definitely not a gifted win. If anything, Lando was gifted track position by the team and likely knew he wouldn’t be able to overtake when behind, otherwise he would have let Oscar go instantly and tried to overtake in the 19 remaining laps, which he didn’t.
No, Piastri is not as consistent as Lando yet, but he is closer pace-wise this year and the last couple of races he has improved his racecraft too. In Silverstone McL threw away a win for him by not double stacking, as he made the right tyre call in the end. Only 1,5 seasons into F1, you can hardly fault him for anything as things look now, even though people always have to of course.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

stewie325 wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 09:09
Agree with everything apart from the last sentence.

Norris did absolutely nothing of the sort, by dragging out the whole scenario for ages. It was very petulant behaviour, and made a mockery of the team on public radio.

If it was unfair team orders like Rubens in Austria decades ago resulting in that farce, I'd understand. But Norris should be smart enough to know he was only leading because he got a 2 lap undercut completely unfairly to Piastri. The latter was more than capable of keeping the lead if pitted first.

I'm really surprised Norris isn't getting more stick for his behaviour and language on the radio...
Norris not giving the place back immediately is slightly problematic but it can be understood. It is a really hard situation to be put in, he is a racing driver and he is taught to be selfish and go for the wins. It was really a case of Lando learning how far he will go in order to win, will he screw over his teammate. I am glad that he managed to make that decision (and the right one in my opinion). I think this ties well into his crash with Verstappen in Austria, Norris couldn't understand why Verstappen defended so hard and I think he is getting it now. Some people would do anything for a victory - Norris (and Piastri hopefully) will keep fair.

However, this just shows to McLaren that they shouldn't really put them in these situation unless it is absolutely necessary. Don't create needless conflict within the team.

BMMR61

https://racingnews365.com/verstappen-fa ... belgian-gp

What we were expecting, Max decides to take a grid drop for, at least, new ICE. Spa is ideal as overtaking is relatively easy. A good chance to get a double podium?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

BMMR61 wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 10:14

What we were expecting, Max decides to take a grid drop for, at least, new ICE. Spa is ideal as overtaking is relatively easy. A good chance to get a double podium?
I'd be surprised this is true. Especially that we get this info on Wednesday. More likely that it is a rumour.

I understand that they will probably have to take a penalty, but in their position I would try and extend the gap to Norris before that. There are benefits to that, McLaren may switch priority to Norris if the gap closes. Also Verstappen may get unlucky/crash out in Q1 or something and that would allow them free engine change. Why commit to a change if you have a chance to be at the front of the grid.

_cerber1

BMMR61 wrote:

How can you be sure that we will be fast there? Top speed is our weakness.

Emag
Emag

_cerber1 wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 10:59
BMMR61 wrote:

Its a compromise of the setup. They have shown they can be quite competitive on a straight line with the right rear wing. Imola is one example.

If they think there's more to gain by giving up some straight line speed they will though. Track position is still very important.

BMMR61

_cerber1 wrote:
BMMR61 wrote:

DRS efficiency is the main weakness. Stella is pretty conservative on statements and predictions, but off camera to Ruth Buscombe on Sky in Hungary post race, he said they are bringing a new rear wing to Spa. That sounds like a significant upgrade as opposed to update - last year we didn't even have a Spa wing and we got smashed when the rains stopped.

Last year's MCL60B from Austria on gave the team really good data for essentially an evolution of the 60B in 2024. So those tracks from Austria we will have a better database - observe Austria, Silverstone, Hungary, all extremely competitive.

mclaren111

This is not something we see very often... RB = +0.2.... :D :D

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

_cerber1 wrote:
We can't be sure but Stella commented that they are looking forward to Spa for a first time in couple of years thinking they will have pace for a podium (didn't say a win).
BMMR61 wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 11:14
DRS efficiency is the main weakness. Stella is pretty conservative on statements and predictions, but off camera to Ruth Buscombe on Sky in Hungary post race, he said they are bringing a new rear wing to Spa. That sounds like a significant upgrade as opposed to update - last year we didn't even have a Spa wing and we got smashed when the rains stopped.

Last year's MCL60B from Austria on gave the team really good data for essentially an evolution of the 60B in 2024. So those tracks from Austria we will have a better database - observe Austria, Silverstone, Hungary, all extremely competitive.
Just to clear it up. Stella did not say off camera to Ruth Buscombe that he is bringing a new rear wing to Spa. She assumed it. What he said in his interview was that they didn't have the right rear wing last few years for Spa so the races were hard as they didn't have the top speed and that they will have it this time around.

Implying that they either
1. Have a new rear wing for Spa (a new development)
or
2. That new rear wing was already shown (already seen on the car).

Given that two races ago in Silverstone they introduced a new high speed package I think that this Silverstone package is the one they will race in Spa.

I am clearing this up just so that we don't get massive rumour mill and then disappointment if there is no new wing in Spa.

mclaren111

https://www.racefans.net/2024/07/24/sma ... g-mclaren/

Seems Lando's car had a problem at the start...

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

Will be an interesting weekend. I'd expect the redbull to qualify better and merc to be there or there abouts too.
The only advantage for us is the wide range of corners this track has and we work well in all types without perhaps being the very very best in any ( close call though)

CjC
CjC

Max will be a threat in Spa what ever the penalty decision they make.
Red Bull has good top end speed and are strong in the high speed
Just a fan's point of view

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I still think we have the fastest car and we will take 1-2 :D.